User Avatar Image

The Kickstarter/Crowdfunding thread

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited by Jennifer - Viewed by 39.5K users
Since there's probably going to be a fair few Kickstarter projects that aren't done by Tim Schafer, I thought it might be nice to start a separate thread for all the little games on Kickstarter that don't get as much exposure.

For example: Feeble's Fable: The Legend of Runes by Atomic Chimp Games. Another point-and-click adventure game, but this one is going for more of a cute and charming feel. It definitely looks interesting, though they've nowhere near the backing they need. :(

And another: Americana Dawn by one guy, Max K. Lambert. It's a freeware retro-styled RPG about the French & Indian War and the American War for Independence. Kickstarter page is a little bare (he doesn't actually say what he needs the money for, for one), but it looks like an awesome game.

So let's see what other Kickstarter projects you think is worth shining a little light on!
1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • In reply to Juicius Maximus

I might have to wait too, because I haven't been able to get Steam to connect for like a month now. But why does that mean you're out of the discussion and backer videos? link

Vainamoinen is very much against intrusive forms of DRM, which means that he won't use anything like Steam (which is a form of DRM, even if it's not all that obvious).

As a result, he won't take part in the Steam-only Early Access version, and wants to avoid spoilers until he can get the DRM-Free version, which is why he's saying he'll be taking part in any discussions or watching the backer videos.

• In reply to Darth Marsden

Vainamoinen is very much against intrusive forms of DRM, which means that he won't use anything like Steam (which is a form of DRM, even if it's not all that obvious). link

Fair enough, but serious error in judgment on the videos, amirite? Kidding, I'm sure they'll still be entertaining after playing the full game, but certainly less zeitgeisty.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

In reply to Juicius Maximus

I might have to wait too, because I haven't been able to get Steam to connect for like a month now. But why does that mean you're out of the discussion and backer videos? link

I backed it because they said it would be DRM free. Which is at least half a lie now because until, say, August or November, the first half WILL be Steam exclusive, and no "Steam client" will ever be installed on my computer.

As that doesn't interest Double Fine to any degree, I can fully expect to now be spoiled to the core with those upcoming backer videos. No thanks.

• In reply to Vainamoinen

I backed it **because they said it would be DRM free.** Which is at least half a lie now because until, say, August or November, the first half WILL be Steam exclusive, and no "Steam client" will ever be installed on my computer. link

You'll get your complete DRM free version, though, eventually, right? So they will have fulfilled their promise to deliver a game that is DRM free.

I think the Broken Age game looks amazing.

I love that it seems so original and creative and isn't full of violence. Not to sound corny, but I like quirky, charming games with heart (and that don't rely on cheap emotional manipulation like TWD does.)

After a certain other game company turned out to be run by a disturbed person (allegedly!) who alienates the entire adventure game fan base, my hope for adventure games now resides in large part with Broken Age. Go, Tim go!!

Elijah's voice work sounds great, too.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

King Art kickstart:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingartgames/the-book-of-unwritten-tales-2

Compared to Double Fine, they're asking for pennies. If you liked the first Book of Unwritten Tales game, you really should invest in the second. It really is time to find out what these guys can do with a moderate amount of money as compared to the massive injection Broken Age got. We need our perspective on reasonable budgets for 2D adventure games back, and I think King Art can do exactly that.

King Art kickstart: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingartgames/the-book-of-unwritten-tales-2 Compared to Double Fine, they're asking for pennies. link

Hell yes! That new Book of Unwritten Tales game sounds awesome.

• Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1294225970/kingdom-come-deliverance

A cross between an up-to-date Darklands and Mount & Blade with prettier graphics, better animations, and a story to speak of. That's probably selling it short, but it's worth a look and there's still a week left to donate.

King Art kickstart: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingartgames/the-book-of-unwritten-tales-2 Compared to Double Fine, they're asking for pennies. link

About book of unwritten tales 2, they aren't really asking for money to create a game, since they say the game is pretty much already finished, but for money to enhance and already made or almost complete game. So I don't know if it is fair to compare it to the budget of double fine adventure, since we don't really know what the total budget of book of unwritten tales is.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

In reply to MtnPeak

About book of unwritten tales 2, they aren't really asking for money to create a game, since they say the game is pretty much already finished, but for money to enhance and already made or almost complete game. link

we don't really know what the total budget of book of unwritten tales is.

Oh yes, we actually do know that. Including even the develoment of their then new game engine, the first TBoUT had a budget between 400,000 and 500,000 € (ca. 520,000 to 650,000 $). No real idea what the budget for part two is of course - but we could really assume, without risking understatement, that they originally worked with about the same amount and will stack that budget up with the Kickstarter funds.

My assumption about TBoUT2's eventual total budget, taking the Kickstarter's present degree of success into account, is somewhere between 600,000 and 750,000$.

• One of the brightest moments last year for classic adventure games fans was when well-respected Himalaya's (AGDI) Mage's Initiation got funded on Kickstarter and nearly doubled the fundraising goal:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2112639455/mages-initiation-a-classic-sierra-style-adventure

Updates show that the game development is progressing nicely, and recently it was announced that Mage's Initiation was Greenlit on Steam. This is great news for indie adventure game fans. This team has been actively developing excellent classic-style adventure games for over a decade. Wanted to share this good news, since lately it seems like classic adventure game genre fans have been hit with some bad news lately.

And if you want to see this game offered at GOG and want the site to offer a deal for it (or just want to support indie adventure game development), then you can leave a comment here and tell GOG to sell games like this:
    http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/mages_initiation

I am always inspired when I see classic adventure game fans come together to support the genre.

Add Comment