Curse of Monkey Island Special Edition

2

Comments

  • edited April 2013
    I gotta say, I wasn't a fan of the Monkey Island portion of Escape. Though I did like the lava plume ride. I've played it a lot, though, so I generally get the milk bottle on the first attempt, though I do like to ride the ride multiple times because as you ride it more often, Guybrush starts saying sillier things right before the ride takes off.

    Though, it might have also been a product of the fact that the Church of LeChuck was probably my favorite bit of the Monkey Island portion. Mainly because you actually had someone to talk to.

    It's kinda weird though... I didn't like Monkey Island in Secret either. I guess it just seems so... barren compared with the rest of the world. And so much walking around to get in between locations. Which is ironic, considering that it's the title location.
  • edited April 2013
    I have the POWER OF GREY MONKEY!!
  • edited April 2013
    I think that the Monkey Island portion of the games tend to be the weakest parts.
  • edited April 2013
    You're wrong on this count. The giant monkey robot was the original intended ending of the first Monkey Island game, and was also originally the intended secret.

    Okay but that was the original intention during the planning stages. It has no bearing upon what they actually went with in the final game. It was obviously scrapped for a very good reason (and should have stayed that way).
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited April 2013
    St_Eddie wrote: »
    * The giant monkey robot (which besides being stupid and out of place within the universe, was also a continuity issue; what happened to the underground caverns from the first game?!)
    We never saw the complete innards of the giant monkey robot. The caverns are probably still in there, and the exit to the river of lava could be through the robot's exhaust valve.

    The latter would actually make for a funny joke in a future Monkey Island installment if Guybrush ever learns that is how he got to LeChuck's ship in his first adventure. :p
  • edited April 2013
    St_Eddie wrote: »
    Okay but that was the original intention during the planning stages. It has no bearing upon what they actually went with in the final game. It was obviously scrapped for a very good reason (and should have stayed that way).

    It was scrapped because of floppy space limitations.
  • edited April 2013
    The Giant Robot is stupid though its like something a child would come up with...ohh
  • edited April 2013
    It was scrapped because of floppy space limitations.

    But the fact that it's not in the original game places it outside continuity.
  • edited April 2013
    DAISHI wrote: »
    But the fact that it's not in the original game places it outside continuity.

    Escape is canon since TMI (barley) reference events from it. Which makes the monkey robot canon. I wonder where the hell it is now anyway.
  • edited April 2013
    DAISHI wrote: »
    But the fact that it's not in the original game places it outside continuity.

    Doesn't mean it doesn't fit the universe.
  • edited April 2013
    True.
  • edited April 2013
    Jennifer wrote: »
    We never saw the complete innards of the giant monkey robot. The caverns are probably still in there, and the exit to the river of lava could be through the robot's exhaust valve.

    No. When Guybrush goes into the Giant Monkey Head in SoMI, he climbs down a giant skeleton which is attached to it. The top of the spine is attached to the back of the Giant Monkey Head, so the monkey robot's head in EMI has no room to be attached to any sort of robot body, because the skeleton is in the way. Nevermind whether the caverns are still there or not.

    89971529.png

    11175523.png
  • edited April 2013
    Yh but the Ultimate insult might have changed the insides with its magic...Its a stretch but hey its as good as any other answer.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    No. When Guybrush goes into the Giant Monkey Head in SoMI, he climbs down a giant skeleton which is attached to it. The top of the spine is attached to the back of the Giant Monkey Head, so the monkey robot's head in EMI has no room to be attached to any sort of robot body, because the skeleton is in the way. Nevermind whether the caverns are still there or not.
    The monkey skeleton could be just decoration (LeChuck seems like the kind of guy who would decorate his lair with skeletons just to spruce things up, he did want to turn Guybrush into a skeleton chair after all). If the monkey robot was laying in a horizontal position, this theory could still work.

    Alternately, the whole cavern is full of voodoo power, it's possible that the whole cavern thing could have just been a voodoo induced hallucination (which would also explain why a voodoo head is needed to navigate the caverns).

    That said, my ultimate wish is for a special edition of Escape From Monkey Island that addresses this. I've mentioned this before so I'll just quote myself:
    Jennifer wrote: »
    I always thought it would be cooler (and fit in better) if the giant monkey came out of the ground as a full skeleton, and then the voodoo magic caused its boney body (and head) to be encased in metal.
  • edited April 2013
    In a series full of goofy and anachronistic jokes, I've never really considered a giant monkey robot to be that out of place. Have you not heard the list of equally anachronistic and silly optional things that Stan's boats come with? I don't know why people have such a problem with it.
  • edited April 2013
    In a series full of goofy and anachronistic jokes, I've never really considered a giant monkey robot to be that out of place. Have you not heard the list of equally anachronistic and silly optional things that Stan's boats come with? I don't know why people have such a problem with it.

    It's one thing to have present day technology in the universe, it's another to have sci-fi tech. Next you'll be saying that it would be fine to have an X-Wing in a Monkey Island game! Ha!
  • edited April 2013
    It's a number of things that don't fit that make the robot all the more annoying.

    1) The carnival is completely missing with no explanation why
    2) It destroys the Giant Monkey Head--the most mysterious and iconic artifact in the first game--in favor of an eyerollingly dumb looking robot.
    3) The robot looks nothing like the Head, adding to a WTF feeling
    4) The body being underground is a stretch as there is little to no room for it in the first game (and for it to be horizontal doesn't fit because you lure the monkeys underground to work it) -- again, adding to WTF
    5) It is powered by Toothrot's gubernatiorial seal (linking the robot to another terrible retcon.)
    6) The other Monkey Island games have modern anachronisms, but the robot is a futuristic one (the X-Wing is a reference to another Lucasfilm property so it's different, plus it's less in-your-face)
    7) Other Monkey Island games are littered with anachronisms, while EMI's entire plot revolves around and is completely dependent on them, throwing the balance of piracy to mystery to anachronism completely out of whack.

    etcetera.
  • edited April 2013
    There is an explanation. If you talk to Murray, he tells you that LeChuck blew it up in a fit of demonic rage. And then Murray goes on to say that he thinks LeChuck was just colossally embarrassed by the whole thing because an evil plot that consists of cotton candy and theme park rides isn't really all that evil in Murray's book.

    Also... it was kinda the point for Escape to have anachronisms. I mean, you have a guy trying to de-piratize the Caribbean by turning it into a giant tourist attraction. The anachronisms fit in with that because it shows everything being distinctly less piraty and more modern Caribbean. If you subscribe to the theory that Guybrush is a kid playing make-believe, this is the intrusion of what the Caribbean is today on his delusions of what he really WANTS the Caribbean to be.
  • edited April 2013
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    It's a number of things that don't fit that make the robot all the more annoying.

    1) The carnival is completely missing with no explanation why
    2) It destroys the Giant Monkey Head--the most mysterious and iconic artifact in the first game--in favor of an eyerollingly dumb looking robot.
    3) The robot looks nothing like the Head, adding to a WTF feeling
    4) The body being underground is a stretch as there is little to no room for it in the first game (and for it to be horizontal doesn't fit because you lure the monkeys underground to work it) -- again, adding to WTF
    5) It is powered by Toothrot's gubernatiorial seal (linking the robot to another terrible retcon.)
    6) The other Monkey Island games have modern anachronisms, but the robot is a futuristic one (the X-Wing is a reference to another Lucasfilm property so it's different, plus it's less in-your-face)
    7) Other Monkey Island games are littered with anachronisms, while EMI's entire plot revolves around and is completely dependent on them, throwing the balance of piracy to mystery to anachronism completely out of whack.

    etcetera.

    Yeah. I guess. For one, none of the games are all that continuity-conscious so to have a problem with something from game four just because it doesn't fit in the screen we saw in game one is ridiculous. There are lots of things throughout the series that don't line up perfectly with each other. That's because it's a goofy comedy. It's like Airplane or The Naked Gun - jokes are more important than continuity.

    As for the anachronisms, that's just a matter of degrees. If it's ok to have porthole defoggers, neon signs, elevators, electrical stage lighting, vending machines, and an entire 20th century amusement park, then I think it's ok to have a robot.

    Your real problem is best summed up at the end of your second complaint. You just think the idea of a giant monkey robot is stupid, period. That's fine. Go with that. Own it. But don't try to make it sound like it's stupid only because it doesn't fit in with all of the other equally silly elements in Monkey Island.
  • edited April 2013
    Well, it's not happening now that LucasArts is dead.
  • edited April 2013
    I wouldn't say it's equally silly. To me it's more... the flavor of silly. It just doesn't really match for me.

    It's like putting beans on a funny looking birthday cake.
  • edited April 2013
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    It's like putting beans on a funny looking birthday cake.

    ...ok, that I can't argue with.
  • edited April 2013
    ...ok, that I can't argue with.
    Depends. Are they JELLY beans, 'cause those'd go quite well.
  • edited April 2013
    It is true that Escape is the silliest and most anachronistic of the franchise, just as Curse was sillier and more anachronistic than the first two (Tales hovers somewhere between 2 and 3, I think). Whether either of them crosses the line into too silly and anachronistic depends, I guess, on your own personal taste.
  • edited April 2013
    As for the anachronisms...

    ...If it's ok to have:

    * Porthole defoggers
    * Neon signs
    * Elevators
    * Electrical stage lighting
    * Vending machines
    * An entire 20th century amusement park

    All of which fall under the category of present day technology.
    then I think it's ok to have a robot.

    This is technology that we still do not have (certainly not to the extent shown in the game). It's futuristic technology. By your logic, it's perfectly acceptable to have a Monkey Island game where Guybrush travels up to a space station in another galaxy and engages in combat with a bunch of aliens by using his trusty laser pistol.

    If you can't see the distinction between the two then I don't know what else to tell you.
  • edited April 2013
    In the 17th century Caribbean, it's ALL futuristic technology, so no I don't see the difference. Are you saying that once we advance to the point where we have large robots, the monkey robot in Escape will be ok?
  • edited April 2013
    In the 17th century Caribbean, it's ALL futuristic technology, so no I don't see the difference. Are you saying that once we advance to the point where we have large robots, the monkey robot in Escape will be ok?

    Okay fine, I've said my piece on the subject. Enjoy your Monkey Island game with nano-technology, lightsabres, Mecha-Godzilla, Flash Gordon, a fleet of interstellar battle cruisers, terminators and a robot the size of the Empire State building shooting EMP lightning bolts from it's eyes.

    Honestly, why is it some people can't appreciate that things aren't black and white, they're shades of grey. It's not "all or nothing"!
  • edited April 2013
    I always thought the monkey robot was run by voodoo power.
  • edited April 2013
    I always thought the monkey robot was run by voodoo power.

    As a means of fuel, I believe that you're correct. However, the controls inside of that thing were pure "world of tomorrow".
  • edited April 2013
    It was powered by the voodoo lava of Big Whoop.
  • edited April 2013
    coolsome wrote: »
    It was powered by the voodoo lava of Big Whoop.

    Either that or vindaloo bottom lava.
  • edited April 2013
    I'm wondering how a talk about seeing Curse of MI remade has turned into everyone giving their theories on how the monkey head robot works :/
  • edited April 2013
    I'm wondering how a talk about seeing Curse of MI remade has turned into everyone giving their theories on how the monkey head robot works :/

    The natural progression of conversation I guess.
  • edited April 2013
    Hmm... I wonder how a Kickstarter to buy the Monkey Island license would go...
  • edited April 2013
    Hmm... I wonder how a Kickstarter to buy the Monkey Island license would go...

    Sadly, not very well at all I would imagine. There are far too many legal issues for it to be a reasonable proposition.
  • It is almost 2014 now... We have seen tons of other games originally released in the early 2000's - so after Curse of MI - and are now re-released for PCs and consoles with less upgrades than what Curse of MI needs to fit today. I would give it more time. Given it's success back in the days, I do not think it is impossible. HD remake doesn't mean convert to 3D. I just don't know if the orginal resolution of drawings and animation can be restored for1080p, if not, I know how much work this means and I get it if LA finds it too expansive and time consuming to do this now.

  • LucasArts is a license-lending entity exclusively now after Disney fired the entire staff... :(

    It is almost 2014 now... We have seen tons of other games originally released in the early 2000's - so after Curse of MI - and are n

  • Shame they still don't license out any of the properties we care about

    Vainamoinen posted: »

    LucasArts is a license-lending entity exclusively now after Disney fired the entire staff...

  • Son of a bitch, I was really looking forward to Star Wars: 1313!

    Vainamoinen posted: »

    LucasArts is a license-lending entity exclusively now after Disney fired the entire staff...

  • I loved this game and I still do.

    I think Disney's plan is to just milk the Star Wars franchise.
    If they even considered a Special Edition Curse of Monkey Island I would have massive respect for them but I don't quite see it :(

Sign in to comment in this discussion.