User Avatar Image

iPad/iPod - too slow for TWD game?

posted by AndyT on - last edited - Viewed by 2.4K users
Why are the graphics so crummy on newest iPad version compared to the preview build?

Touch arcade version running on iPad 3 posted today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsmwfapDWnI&feature=player_embedded

Someone playing on iPad 3 at E3 2 months ago....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5It6xFSs5o

Why such a change? The older version had WAY more detail and ran much smoother?
It seems to take you out of the immersion.
The opening shot at the beginning of the newest version, of the car driving down the freeway with no roadside detail just looks plain awful.
22 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Yeah. They're totally different. Get real mad.
  • No I just wondered why they had to make such a graphics hit when everything seemed to run fine in the beta build?
    Not mad, just really confused?
  • AndyT;644413 said:
    No I just wondered why they had to make such a graphics hit when everything seemed to run fine in the beta build?
    Not mad, just really confused?
    Sorry. "Plain awful" was a bit strong for confusion. I honestly can't tell the difference, even with your helpful videos.
  • An ios tablet might have a good processor but what about graphics ? have you seen the sizes of graphics cards these days ? i don't think tablet tech has reached the stage where a decent spec'd card can be shrunk down and fitted without ample cooling..

and as for the phones same applies the size/weight/battery life affects the capabilities of the device...
  • They clearly had it running better before with much better graphics (smoother, much more background details)
    And now they have trimmed everything down.
    It is like running a game at full settings vs low settings.
    Not a deal breaker but I am quizzed as to why they reduced the graphics so much?
  • Master of Aeons;644441 said:
    Sorry. "Plain awful" was a bit strong for confusion. I honestly can't tell the difference, even with your helpful videos.
    Look at the details.. I can see some missing stuff like for example the trees which are present in the E3 version.
  • Seems like they were trying to oversell the iPad version.
    There is nothing wrong per'se how it is now.
    I'm just VERY curious why they would show the press a souped up version and release a watered down one?
    It's like ordering a chocolate cake with all the toppings, and getting a plain sponge!
  • probably because the size of the download was too large? Heating or crashing issues?
  • I haven't looked at it yet. But it could be the press version was optimized for the iPad 3. Then when they tried it on an iPad 2 it choked.

So they scrapped iPad 1 altogether, and downscaled slightly for the iPad 2.
  • I doubt it as the iPad 2 and iPad 3 are pretty similar in performance, the extra power is used for the screen.
    I hope someone from telltale can clear this up?
This discussion has been closed.