User Avatar Image

How an Honest Ad for TWD Would Read

posted by JackSchirmer on - last edited - Viewed by 3.4K users
An honest ad for The Walking Dead game would read:

"Clunky point and click adventure game with lots of button mashing, the usual bizarre key hunts (a sparkplug in order to break a window!) an interesting story, and limited choices the effects of which are confined within each episode don't work in the pc version, and primarily have to do with how people talk to you. No matter what you do, every episode begins and ends the same way. Just so you know."

Anyone else?
113 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • SupahFly;671630 said:
    But when I saw how the solved everything in episode 3 I was just disappointed, there was no motivation for my anymore to replay anything.
    I'd call that fair. The Darley Decision was in tone with the universe and neatly closed up problematic design stuff. You can call it lazy if you want, I somewhat do. I think Omid and Christa are extensions of the same character slots, so to me it seems like character death in a role playing game or a 4P sidescroller.

[Donatello has run out of lives. Here comes Michelangelo.]
    or
    [Your fourth level wizard has died, want to create a 4th level druid?] "Hi guys, I noticed your friend was dead. Why not just pretend I am him and we'll get along just as well."
  • Master of Aeons;671652 said:
    I'd call that fair. The Darley Decision was in tone with the universe and neatly closed up problematic design stuff. You can call it lazy if you want, I somewhat do. I think Omid and Christa are extensions of the same character slots, so to me it seems like character death in a role playing game or a 4P sidescroller.

or
    [Your fourth level wizard has died, want to create a 4th level druid?] "Hi guys, I noticed your friend was dead. Why not just pretend I am him and we'll get along just as well."
    I believe, to Carley fans, Christa does not feel like the good stand-in. To me, the best phrase describing Carley was 'I thought you might need help' - in a global sense, rather than referring to the specific moment. And Christa... it does not feel like she needs help.
  • Master of Aeons;671652 said:

or

With the single difference that the new characters aren't your choice anymore, they are just part of the story which goes on and tries to make you believe for a short moment that you can do something. (Would be great if I can decide which one of them to live and this time this lasts till the end maybe?)
  • ah this old debate again, *sigh* why can't people just let us enjoy this great game?
  • JabbaDaHuttX7;671564 said:
    Most of those studios in that pic don't even make RPGs anymore. I'd give Bethesda some slack in this case though since the main plotline isn't really the appeal of their games so how linear it is doesn't negatively affect the game as much.
    Skyrim came out Last Year (Bethesda)
    Mass Effect came out This year (BioWare)
    Final Fantasy XIII, Sleeping Dogs just released last year (Square Enix)

what a weird statement to make since BioWare ONLY makes rpgs and have been doing for some 20+ years

Someone is grossly misinformed
  • I thought Sleeping Dogs was a free roam game like Saints Row, not an RPG.
  • JackSchirmer;671472 said:
    An honest ad for The Walking Dead game would read:

"Clunky point and click adventure game with lots of button mashing, the usual bizarre key hunts (a sparkplug in order to break a window!) an interesting story, and limited choices the effects of which are confined within each episode don't work in the pc version, and primarily have to do with how people talk to you. No matter what you do, every episode begins and ends the same way. Just so you know."

Anyone else?
    Clunky is an opinion
    LOTS of button mashing? Really? Diablo 3- thats button mashing, but ok, in your opinion there's too much.
    PC version: I have none, you do. Thats a PC problem (your end)

The rest of your rant is valid; but if you came in here starting with 'my choices dont matter' you'd simply get merged in with the pile ya? +1 for originality
  • SupahFly;671665 said:
    With the single difference that the new characters aren't your choice anymore, they are just part of the story which goes on and tries to make you believe for a short moment that you can do something. (Would be great if I can decide which one of them to live and this time this lasts till the end maybe?)
    The Carley/Doug decision in ep1 was a mistake. It caused telltale alot of problems as the story continues. In ep3 they choose the easy way out and got rid of that decision.

I think most people knew that was coming.
    Kind of like Lilly leaving.
    Katjaa dying was not a real suprise either. Duck suprised me.

Biggest suprise was that it came in ep3 and not ep5. As someone else pointed out, how could this get any worse. This makes a game already struggling with lack of options and limitations kind of boring.
  • DreadMagus;671676 said:
    I thought Sleeping Dogs was a free roam game like Saints Row, not an RPG.
    well they market is an rpg cause you do 'level up', apply points into different skills, and other rpg elements, it starts of like a gta then turns into something totally awesome-it's a 5 star game imo. But thats for another forum
  • I may have to check it out - the guy at gamestop... tried a different pitch to sell it to me.. and lost a sale..

But yeah, definitely for a different forum...
This discussion has been closed.