Shooting the Girl in the street

124»

Comments

  • edited March 2013
    I may be a bit of a hypocrite...
    I killed Danny for what he did and only felt terrible when Clem saw it, and I stole the food out of desperation before still choosing to shoot the girl in the street.

    Maybe it's easier for me to be harshly pragmatic when I don't see whom I'm directly hurting?
  • edited March 2013
    I left her, she was dead in any way, so why waste a bullet? Yeah she suffered, but after 2 minutes it was over, once and for all, if she was alive, I would have saved her, but... that wasn't the case
  • edited March 2013
    I still stand by my beliefs that shooting her was the better option. If I were in her situation I'd dearly, dearly hope someone would shoot me. Being eaten alive, having your skin literally being ripped off your body slowly... God knows how much pain she would have endured if she wasn't shot. I don't want anyone to feel that pain, ever. And if it cost me losing a couple of energy bars? So be it. If Clem misses out on a meal? So be it. I know Clem, I know she'd gladly give up a meal if it meant someone didn't have to suffer for it.

    Although, admittedly, it's sappy but I just feel that's what my Lee would do. After he has caused so much suffering too his wife, his parents, his brother, probably all his friends, students, coworkers... All those people who looked up too Lee, befriended Lee, or loved Lee probably suffered after learning what Lee had done... I really wouldn't want to cause anymore suffering in my lifetime, especially suffering to that degree.
  • edited March 2013
    CarScar wrote: »
    I still stand by my beliefs that shooting her was the better option. If I were in her situation I'd dearly, dearly hope someone would shoot me. Being eaten alive, having your skin literally being ripped off your body slowly... God knows how much pain she would have endured if she wasn't shot. I don't want anyone to feel that pain, ever. And if it cost me losing a couple of energy bars? So be it. If Clem misses out on a meal? So be it. I know Clem, I know she'd gladly give up a meal if it meant someone didn't have to suffer for it.

    Although, admittedly, it's sappy but I just feel that's what my Lee would do. After he has caused so much suffering too his wife, his parents, his brother, probably all his friends, students, coworkers... All those people who looked up too Lee, befriended Lee, or loved Lee probably suffered after learning what Lee had done... I really wouldn't want to cause anymore suffering in my lifetime, especially suffering to that degree.

    With this thought process your probably dead in ZA. Heart or Smart. I choose smart. Raw emotion and feelings are the enemy in dangerous situtations. The one meal thing theyve been starving since before st johns. If she was savable then ok but shes dead with no chance. We have a chance because of her. Her death has meaning her dying gave us the time we needed to get in and out in one trip. You shoot her its just another meaning less death and you bring down the herd on you. Possibly killing yourself and anyone that needs you to survive. If you didnt get everything out of the pharmacy you would risk return trips which are as dangerous if not more dangerous later. Your alive shes dead enough said lets get this shit and go.
  • edited March 2013
    With this thought process your probably dead in ZA. Heart or Smart. I choose smart. Raw emotion and feelings are the enemy dangerous situtations. The one meal thing theyve been starving since before st johns. If she was savable then ok but shes dead with no chance. We have a chance because of her. Her death has meaning her dying gave us the time we needed to get in and out in one trip. You shoot her its just another meaning less death and you bring down the herd on you. Possibly killing yourself and anyone that needs you to survive. If you didnt get everything out of the pharmacy you would risk return trips which as dangerous if not more dangerous later.
    Actually, I agree completely. Although people hold onto the notion that keeping one's humanity is a strength, I believe it to be a crippling weakness. Probably the greatest weakness someone could have come the zombie apocalypse. Breaking your humanity and doing what needs to be done is a strength I don't really see myself capable of doing. I can't honestly see myself doing what needs to be done.

    That said I wouldn't exactly call myself a bastion of light, or what have you. Just in this specific case I would do the humane thing no questions ask. I agree with Ben that one's greatest fear come to the zombie apocalypse would be being eaten alive. Can you imagine the pain? I don't even want to think of it, it's just awful. It'd be like getting ripped apart by mini saw blades. You wouldn't even find comfort in knowing your going to leave this fucked up world because the process would be slow. And honestly someone enduring that pain isn't worth getting some more food items from a place that has been scavenged for months now, nearly picked to the bone. It's not like we're starving too, we were much better fed than in episode two due to the Stranger's car.
  • edited March 2013
    Im not saying id be whistling while shes getting eaten. And yes eaten alive would suck donkey balls but these choices would constantly come up. If kenny ended up getting his face chewed off because you were worried about the DEAD girl suffering.....
  • edited March 2013
    On my good guy playthrough, I think I took too long trying to shoot her so we had to make a bee-line for the pharmacy. Felt pretty bad for doing so.

    On my not-so-good-guy playthrough, I left her right away and was able to get the 20 items with plenty of time to spare.
  • edited March 2013
    I left her. She was already bit before you could fire. People who still have a shot at survival were my top priority. And that meant grabbing those meds as risk-free as possible.

    Apparently you actually score more "respect" points from Kenny by disobeying him, thereby demonstrating your compassion, and the strength to do what he couldn't. Don't care.
  • edited March 2013
    CarScar wrote: »
    Actually, I agree completely. Although people hold onto the notion that keeping one's humanity is a strength, I believe it to be a crippling weakness. Probably the greatest weakness someone could have come the zombie apocalypse. Breaking your humanity and doing what needs to be done is a strength I don't really see myself capable of doing. I can't honestly see myself doing what needs to be done.

    That said I wouldn't exactly call myself a bastion of light, or what have you. Just in this specific case I would do the humane thing no questions ask. I agree with Ben that one's greatest fear come to the zombie apocalypse would be being eaten alive. Can you imagine the pain? I don't even want to think of it, it's just awful. It'd be like getting ripped apart by mini saw blades. You wouldn't even find comfort in knowing your going to leave this fucked up world because the process would be slow. And honestly someone enduring that pain isn't worth getting some more food items from a place that has been scavenged for months now, nearly picked to the bone. It's not like we're starving too, we were much better fed than in episode two due to the Stranger's car.

    The problem with that thought process is that if it isn't worth letting a stranger (who's really already pretty much dead) die painfully to scavenge food, medicine, etc. for your group just because there isn't much left, then when would it be worth it?

    In a survival scenario, you don't take anything for granted. You're always trying to improve your situation, not make it worse. The way I see it, I have a duty to the group of still-living people I'm with more than I do to some stranger that's going to end up dead by the end of the day no matter what I do. There's only so many potential meals you can turn down before someone does end up paying the price for it... that's a much worse option.
  • edited March 2013
    Rommel49 wrote: »
    The problem with that thought process is that if it isn't worth letting a stranger (who's really already pretty much dead) die painfully to scavenge food, medicine, etc. for your group just because there isn't much left, then when would it be worth it?

    In a survival scenario, you don't take anything for granted. You're always trying to improve your situation, not make it worse. The way I see it, I have a duty to the group of still-living people I'm with more than I do to some stranger that's going to end up dead by the end of the day no matter what I do. There's only so many potential meals you can turn down before someone does end up paying the price for it... that's a much worse option.
    Perhaps, but at the end of the day I still got 18 / 20 items. I missed out on what, two energy bars? I know I wasn't aware of how the situation would have played out when I made my decision but still, it turned out great regardless and I'm glad I put her out of her misery. Because if I hadn't, she would have died in possibly one of the most painful ways imaginable so we could only gain two extra energy bars.

    I know we have different views but I'd give up a meal if it meant something departed painlessly rather than painfully. Although the choice would most likely change if my situation were desperate enough.
  • edited March 2013
    But what if that meal you gave up was the difference between being physically able to do tasks. What if you did not find more for weeks. Injury were you cannot move to get more. Shit happens. Could be difference between life and death. So yea 3 bullets, 2 energy bars, or 1 antibiotic could mean a whole lot.
  • edited March 2013
    Was no one concerned that screaming panicked woman might see Kenny and Lee and start unknowingly bringing the dead after them if she ran towards them? Or she might survive long enough to start raising dead all over Macon, fucking up possible escape routes? Or get cornered right in front of the pharmacy and her yells end up bringing more dead down upon the building?

    Lotta talk about being "smart" but in retrospect, leaving her alive seemed like as much a liability as shooting her. You only see her run back the way she came after you decide to leave her, so you don't really know what's she was going to do before that. She could have just as easily started fleeing towards the pharmacy and started banging on the busted up doors, bringing a ton of the dead after her. And if she ever spotted Lee and Kenny she probably try chasing after them.

    Way I see it, both choices carry some inherit risk.
  • edited March 2013
    Was no one concerned that screaming panicked woman might see Kenny and Lee and start unknowingly bringing the dead after them if she ran towards them? Or she might survive long enough to start raising dead all over Macon, fucking up possible escape routes? Or get cornered right in front of the pharmacy and her yells end up bringing more dead down upon the building?

    Lotta talk about being "smart" but in retrospect, leaving her alive seemed like as much a liability as shooting her. You only see her run back the way she came after you decide to leave her, so you don't really know what's she was going to do before that. She could have just as easily started fleeing towards the pharmacy and started banging on the busted up doors, bringing a ton of the dead after her. And if she ever spotted Lee and Kenny she probably try chasing after them.

    Way I see it, both choices carry some inherit risk.

    A guaranteed risk versus a theoretical risk.

    There is a big difference.
  • edited March 2013
    Riadon wrote: »
    A guaranteed risk versus a theoretical risk.

    There is a big difference.

    Both options are equally theoretical in risk. There is no guarantee until after the choice is made.
  • edited March 2013
    I left her. If she wasnt stupid and try to get away i would shoot her in leg and leave
  • edited March 2013
    Was no one concerned that screaming panicked woman might see Kenny and Lee and start unknowingly bringing the dead after them if she ran towards them? Or she might survive long enough to start raising dead all over Macon, fucking up possible escape routes? Or get cornered right in front of the pharmacy and her yells end up bringing more dead down upon the building?

    Lotta talk about being "smart" but in retrospect, leaving her alive seemed like as much a liability as shooting her. You only see her run back the way she came after you decide to leave her, so you don't really know what's she was going to do before that. She could have just as easily started fleeing towards the pharmacy and started banging on the busted up doors, bringing a ton of the dead after her. And if she ever spotted Lee and Kenny she probably try chasing after them.

    Way I see it, both choices carry some inherit risk.

    Not really. It's a pretty safe bet that the pack of undead chasing her had her full attention. :p Your average person tends to develop tunnel vision in a fight for their life scenario; situational awareness basically goes out the window. Besides, as Kenny says, her screaming will draw the walkers to her... shooting her pinpoints your position for them.

    The options aren't really equal in the slightest because of that. Best case, one could claim that leaving her could somehow eventually alert the living impaired to your presence. By contrast, shooting her will alert them to your presence. She wasn't louder than a gunshot. Any undead in Macon she could attract by screaming would be attracted by gunfire.

    Had the option been there to kill her quietly, it would've been a harder call (atleast for me).
  • edited March 2013
    Mornai wrote: »
    Both options are equally theoretical in risk. There is no guarantee until after the choice is made.

    When you shoot the girl, it is guaranteed that the walkers will notice. If you don't shoot the girl, there is a chance that she MIGHT bring the walkers to you.

    Guaranteed risk < Possible risk
  • Yeah, my thoughts exactly. And if we do shoot her, well, we just saved her about 15 seconds of suffering, doesn´t really seem like worth the risk to me.
    Although I did shoot her on my original playthrough.. I guess Im just too nice for the ZA lol

    jaybreezy posted: »

    YamiRaziel wrote: » What's so difficult to understand? I shot the girl because I still have some humanity left. Kenny wouldn't, bu

  • I shot her,that was the right thing to do.
    ZA or not I wanted to Keep my Lee human and save whoeve need saving,the chance to take her out of her misery was there and I took it.
    I felt like If I would just leave her im no better then Larry at the drugstore (and later on,better then Kenny who left me cz I saved Larry)
    I got almost all of the supplies so it didnt much matter

  • Didn't shoot her. Got more items. Kenny made the calculated call and if that makes him a monster in some people's eyes, so be it. Someone has to make the hard calls and IMO sitting on some make believe throne judging others, especially in a situation where it's not just their lives their deciding is pitiful. Someone has to make the tough calls and everyone has a reason for doing what their doing. The only real monsters I see in this game are the bandits.

  • I left her, I figured since she was already bitten, there was no saving her. Plus she ran around in circles when she should have ran straight and got away. I had to get the items for the group and even though I would have saved her if she hadn't been bitten, I had a group to feed and protect. I got in and got most of the supplies if not all. I think it was the right choice.

  • I didn't shoot her simply because she was pretty much dead already and I didn't think it'd be necessary to put Kenny and I in any more danger.

  • I left her she was already bitten.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.