User Avatar Image

Steve Purcell & Status of Things

posted by mish on - last edited - Viewed by 937 users
How much creative control does Steve Purcell have over the series ?
What's your current target market?
I'm a loyal S&M customer (not fetish) and while I bought the whole season (after I bought 3 or 4 episodes) and other products, I buy it because I love Steve Purcell's twisted ideas. Steve's winning personality gets kinda drowned out in the games.

I think you guys oughta make Steve punch out more printable art. I have two pieces hanging on my walls and it's not nearly enough. The sketchbooks are a gas too. Oh, and more T-Shirts and stuff. Vynil toys would be insanely awesome too. JUST MAKE SURE THAT IT'S ALL DESIGNED BY STEVE!

What's the word on the reprint of "Surfin' the Highway"?

Don't be afraid to make the games more adult themed. The episodes up to Abe Lincoln Must die have been pretty kiddy-themed. Don't forget your biggest market is the people who grew up on Sam & Max and are already used to raunchy humor.
29 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • When you say more 'adult themed', what are you trying to get at? More violence? Hit the Road was only a 12+ here in the UK.
  • I think he means the same grittiness as the comics
  • Would be cool, but I think it's also so enjoyable, there's nothing to complain about... but it would be cool
  • I'm a loyal S&M customer (not fetish)
    *Puts down whip* Aww....

Besides, I thought you had to have a Sam and Max fetish to blow all your money on the merchandise.
  • Combustibillion;38677 said:
    *Puts down whip* Aww....

Besides, I thought you had to have a Sam and Max fetish to blow all your money on the merchandise.

Good job I looked on the hint board. :D
  • Depends the way you take it.
    But yeah, I am a huge fan of Steve Purcell's art.

xChri5x - Yeah, same grittiness as the comics. Plus the dry sarcasm of Hit the Road is missed on my side of the fence.
  • Which side of the fence is that, out of curiosity? I agree that the games could use drier humour; personally I find it much funnier than the 'randomness', for want of a better word, we sometimes see, which leads to forced jokes and a rather punchline-saturated feel to many dialogues.
  • The same side you're on pal.

YOU GUYS NEED THE HUMOR TO BE LESS PUNCHLINEY AND MORE OF THE DRY SARCASM STUFF!

is punchliney a word?
  • I can see what you guys are saying.. hit the road had conroy bumpus.. sam & max's interactions with him were hilarious.. it would be kool if season 2 had a similar kind of character that they could get stuck in 2
  • I think there's a bit of a difference in the humor between Season One and Hit the Road, just like there's a slight difference in feel between Hit the Road and the comics, or Hit the Road and the animated series. I think it's quite cool that each incarnation of Sam & Max kind of has its own distinct feel. The important thing is that the style doesn't stray too far from the mothership - the comics - and it doesn't. I don't think Season One is any further from the comics than Hit the Road is, it just builds more upon certain other aspects of it. As long as the dialog is still distinctly Sam & Max, it's fine that it's not distinctly Hit the Road.
Add Comment