“Last Survivor” -- Walking Dead / We’re Alive Crossover (Carley is found and saved.)

This is a crossover fanfic with the “Walking Dead” game and “We're Alive” a podcast show. Those who are not familiar with We’re Alive, it is more like survivors battling the monsters from 28 Days Later and Left 4 Dead than facing the undead in a typical zombie apocalypse movie.

Unfortunately, the characters from We’re Alive are all situated in Los Angeles and I had to move them into Georgia to make this work.

And yes, Carley survives the gunshot in this one. If you don’t like it then write your own story. :p

FF.Net Link: Last Survivors

Feedback is needed. ;)

Chapter One: Wounds

"She... She.... She's dead! Why did she shoot her?"

"Get in! We're leaving this crazy bitch."

"Lee, she's gone. You heard Ben, you can't help her. Get in or do I have to drag you!"

She woke as if coming out of a deep sleep to find herself face down in the dirt.

What happened?

Almost immediately she felt a painful burning sensation in her left cheek and eye. Her head started to throb as she tried to move her limbs.

Shit. I feel like crap. What happened?

Slowly she pushed herself up and that's when she noticed something else was wrong. She couldn't see out of her left eye. It was night but the moon and stars were out and giving off enough light to see out of her right eye but something was wrong with her left.

Fighting down her panic, she reached up and touched the left side of her face. When she pulled her hand back she found it to be covered in blood. Almost shaking in fear now, she looked around to find herself on the side of a long stretch of a road, lined with trees on either side.

How did I get here?

Then she heard them, the slow shuffling of feet through piles of fallen leaves and the bone chilling constant low moaning. Like right out of a foreboding bad dream, three walkers emerged out from the shadows of the trees, heading straight towards her.

Carley rose to her feet to flee but she almost blacked out from the effort. The sudden movement caused new pain to surged through her head, making it feel like it was about to split open.

The walkers closed in on their new prey.

No, get up and move!

Through sheer will and much fear for her life, Carley started to run as best as she could but her aching head made it almost impossible and for some reason her body had so little strength to give. At most, all she could manage was a fast walk down the road. Carley fumbled inside her coat for her gun but came up empty. The situation was growing from bad to worse.

I'm injured, most likely seriously, no weapon and being chased by walkers. Which one will do me in first?

Looking behind, one of the three walkers was actually gaining on her. Carley tried to move faster but every step felt like someone was taking a jackhammer to her already throbbing head.

The fast walker behind her sounded so close now that she didn't dare look back. Exhaustion was overtaking her and Carley started to cry from her good eye. Maybe it would be better to stop running and let it end now than drag this out needlessly.

Then there was a light from behind and the sound of an engine. A vehicle was approaching and it filled Carley with unexpected hope to keep moving. The vehicle was loud as it sped up and swerved around them to pass on her left. Carley looked and her jaw dropped. It was a humvee! An honestly to goodness US military humvee.

Still trying to keep ahead of the pursuing walkers, Carley tried to wave and call to them but she couldn’t catch her breath to shout. Worse, probably in her condition and in the dark they might think she was a walker too. Even in the gloom of night, she could see faces inside the vehicle windows looking out but they were already passing to accelerate away.

With all she had left, Carley finally screamed out. "PLEASE HELP ME!!!"

This caused her head ache even more but it made the humvee screeched to a halt about fifty feet ahead of her. The front side passenger door flew open and a man jumped out. It was too dark to make out his face but the outline of his body showed that he was dressed head to toe in full military combat gear. In his hands, he cradled an assault rifle. At that moment he was the most beautiful sight in the world to Carley.

He took a step towards her as he brought his weapon up. "If you are living, GET DOWN!" The man barked.

Carley almost nodded as she dropped to the hard pavement. An instant later, she heard three loud cracks from his discharging weapon. When her ears stopped ringing seconds later, the moaning of the walkers that had been dogging her from behind had been permanently silenced. Still on her hands and knees and gasping for breath, Carley couldn't stop shaking, unable to believe she was rescued. She then heard more voices coming from the vehicle.

"Watch the tree line!" A powerful and rough older voice commanded. "But shoot only if you have to!"

"I got it!" A much youthful male voice answered back.

Carley then heard people approaching. Lifting her head, she saw the soldier and next to him a woman in plain civilian clothing hurrying to her with flashlights. When they reached her, they shined their lights right into Carley's face, nearly blinding her. Her two would be rescuers actually paused in shock which scared Carley.

How bad are my injuries?

For a moment she feared they would turn around and abandon her.

"Please, don't leave me." Her plead was feeble and weak but she nearly at the end of her rope, her strength fading and she was terrified of dying out here alone.

The woman snapped out of it first and spoke with a gentle French accent. "We won’t." She knelt down next to her, taking Carley's hand into hers before turning to the soldier. "Angel, help me."

However, the soldier still hesitated before kneeling down before Carley, studying her damaged face with his flashlight.

“Wait.” He was more professional sounding and asked Carley direct. “Were you bitten?”

“I don’t know…” Carley muttered. She couldn’t remember what happened to her, her headache was getting even worse. “I was with a group at this motel and we were attacked by bandits. We escaped but… everything is a blank after that. Help me… please… please…”

Angel nodded and looked to the French woman. “Riley, this looks like a messy gunshot wound and not a bite. Let’s chance it.”

I was shot? I need a mirror to see how bad it is.

From the humvee, the young voice called to them. "I would hurry you two! We're doubled park and I'm seeing a ton of movement in the trees!"

Riley and Angel each took an arm and helped Carley to their vehicle and quickly placed her in the back. All the way to the humvee, Carley was almost delirious with gratitude, thanking them over and over. She wanted to kiss them.

Inside, Carley collapsed into her seat in a mixture of relief and exhaustion as the French woman took her place next to her on her right. To Carley’s left a large and older man with no hair and a grey beard, dressed in civilian cloths climbed in.

To the front, Angel hurried around into the passenger seat as the driver slide back behind the wheel pulling a pair of night vision goggles from his face. He turned back to them and he was a young black man, dressed in full combat gear like Angel.

"How is our..." He stopped when he looked at Carley and saw her face and nearly exclaimed. “Holy... Is she going to be all right?”

Carley could barely keep her good eye open now. On second thought, I don’t want that mirror.

"Just drive Saul." The French woman said urgently, as she reached in the back compartment for the first aid kit. “Burt, help me dress her wound.”

The older man leaned in closer to help Riley tend to Carley’s damaged face before saying in a gruff voice. “Radio ahead and warn them we have wounded coming in.”

“I’m already on it.” Angel said.

The humvee pulled away as dozens of walkers piled out onto the road from the forest. They mindlessly tried to follow the military vehicle as its taillights grew smaller into the night before disappearing around a bend in the road.

• edited September 2012
    Nice! I loved how you portrayed Carley's emotions, while at the same time focusing on the zombies. Hope she's going to be okay...After all, this is an interesting way how Carley could have survived!
  • edited September 2012
    Write more.
  • edited September 2012
    Well done! :D
  • edited September 2012
    Wow, Nice.
  • edited September 2012
  • edited September 2012
    Was great, keep it up!
  • edited September 2012
    lol carley's dead
  • edited September 2012
    Sampz wrote: »
    lol carley's dead

Like I said, if you don't like it then write your own story. :p

Working on chapter 2 and I might have it posted in a few days.
  • edited September 2012
    Like I said, if you don't like it then write your own story. :p

Working on chapter 2 and I might have it posted in a few days.

Ahh, so what you REALLY meant to say in your introduction is that only positive feedback is needed.
  • edited September 2012
    cormoran wrote: »
    Ahh, so what you REALLY meant to say in your introduction is that only positive feedback is needed.

I'm just writing this for fun. If I got the locations wrong or someone's name, then please tell me. But for someone to say 'LOL Carley is dead', then thankyou very much Captain Obvious. What I said was in sarcasm and this is fanfiction. I can bring anyone back that I want. ;)
  • edited September 2012
    cormoran wrote: »

Dont be like that, sampz comment wasn't productive criticism or really criticism at all, it was stating the blatantly obvious.
  • edited September 2012
    Chapter Two: New Dawn

Sergeant Michael Cross stood inside the compound, alongside with Doctor Sherman Cottle. Their attention was focused on the main gate as they waited.

"How close are they now?" Doctor Cottle asked impatiently. He knew every minute counted. “Shouldn’t you check with them again?”

"They were about two miles out the last time they radioed in and considering how Saul drives..." Michael started to say when they both heard the roaring engine of the approaching humvee. "Right about now."

The armed guard manning the tall metal gate quickly swung it open as the humvee with its glaring headlights peeled in and came to a stop. Michael and the doctor quickly hurried to the vehicle as Burt slowly half carried the injured woman out from the back right side passenger door. The entire left side of her face was now completely bandaged over.

"She's getting worse doc." Burt said. “She's been in and out of it all the way here."

"Did you get her blood type?" The doctor demanded.

"B positive, like me." Burt replied.

"Good and you won’t mind being her first donor then," Doctor Cottle quickly moved to help him. "Get her inside."

"Are you going to be able to save her?" Riley said as they took her towards a rather large nearby building.

Doctor Cottle shrugged and said over his shoulder. "I never promise anything other than I will do my best."

After watching them disappear into the building, Michael turned to Saul, Angel and Riley. "Okay, what happened out there?"

"We were finally on our way back when we came across what we thought were four walkers chasing after something down the road, maybe some wild life." Saul said.

"Then as we went around them, one of them started screaming for help." Angel continued. "That's when Saul stopped and I jumped out and engaged the three walkers chasing her."

"Who is she," Michael questioned. "Did she tell you anything?"

"Her name is Carley,” Riley answered. “And she told us that she and some other survivors were all sheltered in a motel they had fortified when it was attacked by bandits. But she can't remember anything after that."

"You believed her?" Michael asked.

“What?” Riley looked surprised by the question, her French accent became stronger, usually whenever she got excited or annoyed. "Of course! You didn't see her condition, her fear. She thought she was going to die out there."

"I know, I know," Michael held his hand up. "We just have to be careful with who we let in. For all we know she might be a bandit who betrayed her own group and they left her out there for the walkers as final punishment. That’s the last type of person we need inside these walls."

"So, what is the plan now with our newest guest?" Saul said to Michael.

"Well, let’s see if Doctor Cottle can do anything for her first before we get too far ahead of ourselves." Michael said and nodded to all three of them. "Regardless, you all did the right thing. Now, get some sleep because tomorrow is going to be another day."

She woke as if coming out of a deep sleep to find herself lying on a… a bed? She opened her eyes and immediately felt something was wrong. She couldn’t see out of her left eye, something was wrapped around nearly half of her face and head. She reached up and found them to be bandages. Then the memories returned.

I was alone, out on the road, injured, and being chased by walkers... and then being rescued.

Slowly, Carley took in her surroundings and saw that she was in a small bedroom. There was a large window with the curtains partially drawn with daylight shining in. A single dresser and a few chairs was the only other pieces of furniture here beside the bed. A couple of pictures of horses adorned the walls. The bed itself she was on was very comfortable and the blankets covering her were nice and warm. The only thing she had on was a simple white robe.

"I was rescued..." Carley muttered to herself. Then she touched her face again.

What happened to me and why can't I remember how I got injured and left out there?

With great effort she started to sit up to get out of bed when Carley felt something tied around her right ankle. Frowning, she threw off the blankets to find a leather strap tying her to the bed post. This confused Carley more than it worried her. If she was a prisoner she would be completely tied up. There was nothing stopping her from reaching down with her free hands and unfastened it. So why...

"It's just a needed precaution."

Carley quickly looked up to see a man in BDUs standing in the doorway. He looked in his late twenties, with good looks that made him perfect for any army recruiting poster. His eyes however looked tired and slightly stressed. With all that has happened over the last few months it would be perfectly understandable to Carley.

"I'm Sergeant Michael Cross. I hope it didn’t alarm you."

"No," Carley shook her head. He sounded very polite and courteous which helped to relax her. "It just doesn’t make...." Then she realized the reason for the leather strap securing her to the bed. "It’s for if I should turn, right?"

Michael nodded. "We do that for all our badly sick and wounded, like yourself." He stepped towards her. "But you look well on your way to recovery, allow me."

She watched as Michael unbuckled the strap around her ankle, removing it. Freed, Carley gave her ankle a slight rub before pulling her legs closer to her body. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." Slowly, Michael reached for a wooden chair in the corner of the room and moved it next to her bed before taking a seat. He leaned forward towards her, his elbows resting on his knees. "How are you feeling?"

Carley touched her bandaged face again. "Considering what happened, I’m okay I guess. How badly was I hurt?"

Michael paused for a moment to consider his reply but decided against sugar-coating it. "Doctor Cottle worked on you almost through the night. The bullet grazed your left cheek, just below the eye but it still went deep enough to do a lot of damage to flesh and bone. He's a good surgeon but he couldn't save your left eye and there will be scarring. He did what he could but our resources are limited."

He watched her as she sat silently in the middle of the bed, still touching the bandages to the wounded side of her face. Michael had seen this too often with fellow wounded soldiers from Iraq suffering with life changing injuries. Unfortunately, Michael had become a little hardened and with everything else that happened to the world he once knew, he has grown a little detached to everyone around him. It was all he could do to shield his own sanity but he finally managed to add a sympathetic. "I'm sorry."

"No," Carley shook her head. "I should be grateful. If it wasn't for your people, I wouldn't be here.” She immediately changed the subject to something else. “So is this a military base or something?"

Michael gave a guarded answer. He still didn’t know her. "Sort of."

“But you are military. Do you know what is going on? How this started? There were so many rumors."

"I don't know how it started. I don’t think anyone has a clue. First it was news stories of people attacking each other in the streets and turning on the police when they showed. There were rumors of it being a terrorist gas attack which was driving people insane, to stories of escaping mental patients or some new drug on the street turning users cannibalistic. Then the reality of the situation hit me full on when I got the call that my unit was being mobilized and was driving back to Atlanta when I got caught in traffic. That's when I first saw one. He was bloodied, his cloths were torn to pieces and his face and eyes were blank of any emotion."

Carley listened quietly and almost whispered. "What happened?"

Michael took in a breath and released it quietly. Just remembering that day when everything went to shit in a hurry was still hard to believe. He served three tours in Iraq and he saw enough human carnage to last several life times but that was in a war zone and not in the backyard of your own country. Everything fell apart so damn quick after that first day. He locked eyes with Carley as he continued.

"Something inside told me not to move as he or it walked right pass my car and went after the car behind me that was honking its horn impatiently. It just reached in through an opened window and started attacking the driver. I just watched and saw blood spattering on the inside of the windshield. I couldn’t believe what was happening and when I saw more approaching, I just hit the gas and drove away on the grassy medium."

"I was covering a news story when my van was attacked by a group of them. It was horrifying and so surreal like a mad dream."

"You're a reporter?" Michael asked.

"Yes and I would have never escaped if it wasn't for Doug who came to my rescue."

"You said you were with a group. Where are they?"

Carley shook her head. "I have no idea if they’re no longer at the motel but Kenny has always been discussing plans of trying to reach Savannah for a boat."

Michael sat up straight in the chair. "Are you sure about that?"

“He was very determined in finding a boat.” The look of concern on Michael's face quickly worried Carley. "Is something wrong?"

"Just trying to enter any of the major cities is suicide. They belong to the dead."

• edited September 2012
    Keep it coming! I'm intrigued and I like a good story!

Edit: I owe you a further thank you for an introduction to "We're Alive", I'm hooked!
  • edited September 2012
    This is my new canon for Carely, nice work!
    Look forward to the next one.
  • edited September 2012
    ZombieGoBoom keep doing this! I wasn't convinced when I started reading but it didn't take long until I found myself wanting to know more! If you decide to write more chapters I will read them, no doubt.
  • edited September 2012
    sounds a bit like metal gear solid snake eater... ;)

i'll be doing on of my own on the carley fb page soon ;)
  • edited September 2012
    Holy Shit! There's actually a "Carley" listed in the character list for "We're Alive".
  • edited September 2012
    Here’s the latest chapter. I’m having fun writing this and seeing where I can take this story. I also appreciate all the feedback and it helps. The next couple of chapters should be very interesting. Think of the worse place that Carley could visit which might end in a hail of bullets.

Chapter Three: Rooster

They handed me this note book to keep a journal, a daily log of my experiences and told me that writing stuff down supposed act as some sort therapy or whatever. I’m not much in writing a diary but they insisted everyone has to keep one and to write, which is good because it finally means I can stay.

Where should I start?

It has been four weeks since my rescue and my wounds have mostly healed. Their doctor, a Sherman Cottle is really good but he can be a little cranky at times. He fixed what he could but I still find it hard to look at my reflection in the mirror with all the bandages off now. Burt had an eye patch made up for me to cover my missing left eye and it even conceals some of the scars on my left cheek. Now, I look like a character from Kill Bill and I also think Burt gave me this eye patch so he can go ‘Arrgh! Thar be Zombies!‘ whenever he sees me. Great!

I should be grateful to be alive in a world filled with death but I just want to find and kill the bastard who did this me. I want my face back!

Okay, enough with feeling sorry for myself.

The setup they have here is amazing. Makes our motel look third world and its even better than the St. John‘s farm in security but minus the cannibals part. I was told they almost stumbled across this place by accident. Outside of the town of Amercus, they literally found this small mansion surrounded by eight foot walls. The owner, whoever he was must have had a thing for his privacy. The place has security cameras, motion sensors and even a panic room. Michael and the others have no idea what happened to the owner. Maybe he was off on vacation when everything started.

The place has a separate garage four times the size of my modest little home where he kept his old collection of cars he had. Michael’s group kept a few because their simpler engines might be easier to maintain than a modern one. Unfortunately, the rest were unfit to be of any use and went outside the walls to make room. Right now possibly a quarter of a million dollars worth of antique cars is rusting away as I write this. At least they kept the 69 Mustang. I want to drive it.

The only thing better than having the walls to keep the walkers out is the good size in ground swimming pool for a source of water. They have already setup the mansions eave troughs to catch any falling rain water and funnel it into the pool.

They have Pegs, who is a botanist who oversees the garden they have built here in the spacious backyard. They even managed to grow some vegetables before the cold season hit. Altogether, there are about 32 people here, including me but Michael said they have enough food stored to get us through the winter.

I finally had a chance to demonstrate my shooting skills with a gun and I think I impressed Michael and the others a bit. Michael even asked if I would volunteer to ride shotgun in food and fuel patrols today. I was happy to accept just for the chance to show that I can carry my own weight around here.

There are only four soldiers in this group which is Michael, Angel, Saul and Burt who is a former marine. Besides me, there are only a couple of civilians here who had ever used a firearm in their lives. They definitely want anyone with past experience in handling a gun when going outside the walls. There is also Riley who happens to be a pro archer. Her skills with a bow are invaluable when needing to take down walkers quietly.

With everything I have here, I still wonder what happened to my old group. Where are they? Are they safe? Are they even alive? Why was I left for dead? Did they honestly think I was dead?

I need to know the answers to these questions. I have to try and convince Michael to help me find them but so far he has refused. Savannah is too far, too big and too much of a risk to search for them he told me. Still, I have to do something. To sit here safe while the others and Lee could be…

There was a soft knock at the door. Carley looked up from the small table in her room where she was writing. She closed her notebook and turned to face the door.

“Come in.”

The door opened and a slender blonde woman peeked in and gave her a warm smile. “Hi Carley.”

“Hello Lizzy. Need something?”

Lizzy is another friend Carley quickly made here over the weeks and the blonde women even helped to look after Carley while she was recovering from her wounds. They got along so well that they decided to become roommates.

They have rules, like any roommates such as knocking before entering. The two agreed upon it after Carley accidentally walked in on Lizzy when Saul was paying her a visit. The young lovers were getting very romantic and they forgot to lock the door which gave Carley a startling surprise. All three promised to never mention that incident again.

“Michael is out there with Burt and Saul getting the humvee ready and I was wondering if you had forgotten the time.”

Carley glanced at the battery powered clock on the wall and jumped up from her chair. She was so focused writing in her notebook that she lost track of time. “Shit! I’m almost late for my first patrol.”

Lizzy watched as her roommate raced around grabbing her coat. “Relax. You still have five minutes.”

“Impressions are everything Lizzy.” Carley said as she quickly zipped up her coat. “And I need to be on Michael’s good side to get his help.”

“Still hoping to find your friends?”

“Yes. I can’t stop thinking about them.”

“I understand and if you need my support you have it.”

Carley give the blonde a grateful smile. “Thanks Lizzy.”

Outside, Carley left the mansion front door and walked towards the garage where the humvee was parked just outside. By the time she got there, the men already had the vehicle ready to go.

Carley approached Michael as he and the others were doing a last minute weapon check. Both Michael and Saul had a sidearm and a M4 assault rifle with a foregrip and a red dot scope attachment. Burt only carried one weapon, a chrome Desert Eagle that his former wife used and he even named it after her, Shirley. The gun was basically a hand cannon. His wife must have been something to be able to fire such a powerful weapon.

“Sorry that I am late.” Carley apologized.

“It’s alright,” Michael looked at her, not sounding mad or anything. “We decided to get an early start. Go to Burt, he has your weapon.”

Relieved, she approached Burt and the large man grinned at her. “I have something I think you will like.”

He handed her a belt and a holster with a pistol sheathed inside it, with three extra magazine clips. Taking them, Carley carefully pulled the gun from the holster and she simply marveled at it.

“It’s a glock 17,” Burt explained. “Holds 17 rounds, has less recoil, making it more accurate. You also have three extra magazines and between them and the one already in the gun, you have 68 rounds altogether.”

Carley continued to admire the gun, although the grip was longer in length, the weight and feel of it was nice in her hands. “Thank you Burt. I promise to take good care of it.”

The old marine just grunted with amusement. “You better, it’s supposed to take care of you too.”

Besides being a former marine, Burt also owned a gun store and when he joined up with Michael and the others, he brought a small arsenal of weapons with him. This included his personal and maybe slightly illegal collection of weapons.

Carley smiled as she reholstered the gun and started to fasten the belt around her slender waist. “Point taken.”

“One last thing, you will need a nickname.” Burt stated.

“A nickname, why?”

“We mainly only have CBs to transmit with and anyone could listen in, so we avoid using our real names or the names of places we’re visiting.” Burt explained.

This made perfect sense to Carley. “Sure. What’s my?”

“We select our nicknames after the names of birds.” Burt told her.

Listening in, Saul stepped closer to explain. “For example, I’m Penguin and Michael over there is Broken Wing.”

Michael was still checking his gear but he looked up long enough to explain. “My arm was in a sling at the time, long story.”

“Our base is called the Nest.” Saul continued. “And old Burt here is Raven.”

“Why I am not surprised,” Carley commented with a chuckle to the old marine but now she was curious. “Okay, what is my nickname? Maybe Sparrow, White Dove or maybe Black Dove, it’ll make me all mysterious sounding.”

Burt couldn’t stop grinning. “I was thinking Rooster.”

Carley frowned. “What? Rooster is a male bird.”

“I was thinking as in Rooster Cogburn. You know, John Wayne.” Burt told her. “You do know who John Wayne is?”

“God yes, my father watched nothing but westerns when I was growing up,” The former news reporter sighed. “Where did you think I learned how to shoot? Are you seriously going to call me Rooster?”

“Well, it does fit you,” Burt countered. “Eye patch and you are damn good with a pistol.”

Carley looked to Michael and Saul but the two almost held up their hands defensively.

“I was just happy to be named after a bird with some style.” The black soldier commented.

“I could care less about mine,” Michael shrugged at her. “Just be glad Vulture is already taken.”

Carley threw up her hands. “All right, I’m Rooster then. It’s just a dumb nickname so I’ll be your one eyed cowgirl.”

“That’s the spirit!” Burt laughed.

“Come on, show’s over,” Michael finally interrupted. “We’re burning daylight.”

Burt got behind the wheel of the humvee as the rest of them boarded. Michael and Saul climbed in the back, leaving the front passenger seat for Carley.

Starting up the humvee, Burt drove up to the main gate as the guard opened it for them and quickly they passed on through and were on their way.

About five minutes down the road, Burt grabbed the mike for the radio and handed it to Carley. “Better contact the Nest and let them know our status.”

Carley took the mike as Burt added. “Don’t forget to use your nickname.”

Sighing, Carley spoke into the radio. “This is… This is Rooster to Nest. Over.”

To her surprise, Angel’s voice replied and she could almost hear him fighting down his laughter. “This is Toucan. I read you Rooster. How’s the new nickname working for you? Over.”

Carley heard Saul and Burt laughing and even Michael cracked a smile. Rolling her good eye, all she could think of was.

At least they’re not calling me small.

Next chapter: Mayday.
  • edited September 2012
    Great,can't wait for next chapter :D
  • edited September 2012
    I actually laughed together with the characters during the last lines :) And really neat reference at the end of the chapter!
  • edited September 2012
    great story!
    Waiting for the next chapter.: D: D
  • edited September 2012
    A little bit The Walking Dead, a little bit Battlestar Galactica, a generous dash of We're Alive... am I missing anything? :)
  • edited September 2012
    Cyreen wrote: »
    A little bit The Walking Dead, a little bit Battlestar Galactica, a generous dash of We're Alive... am I missing anything? :)

Fusing battlestar galactica with anything makes me depressed for what the director of that show did to my stargate...
  • edited September 2012
    Chapter Four: Mayday

Lying on her back, Carley nervously held the sharp metal rod in her hand.

This feels like a dumb idea, she thought to herself. On a scale from one to ten, this has to be an eight. A ten would be trying to high-five a walker.

Carefully, she placed the tip against the metal surface above her head. In her other hand she held a hammer. Slowly, she prepared to strike the end of the rod to drive it home when she stopped.

“Are you absolutely sure this is safe?” An anxious Carley asked Burt and Saul who were watching her.

She was under an abandoned SUV, ready to drain its gas tank by hammering a hole in it. The two men were kneeling down to watch and help talk her through it.

“Like I told you, the rod you are using is made of brass and it will not create a spark.” Burt assured her. “Trust me, it’s faster than siphoning it out with a rubber hose and this allows us to get every drop.”

Carley still hesitated. “And you have done this before?”

“Hundreds of times with no problem,” Burt said with all seriousness. “Except for that one incident when I lost my hair.”

“Burt, you are very close to my feet,” Carley warned with a deadly one eyed glare. “And I will not hesitate to kick you!”

“Geez! Relax Rooster!” He chuckled. “You have no sense of humor.”

“Stop teasing her,” Saul finally said. “It’s safe Carley. Just give it one quick blow. Just make sure to not get any gas on your clothes.”

With great reluctance, Carley placed the pointed tip of the rod against the gas tank over her head again. Then with a quick, short swing, she whacked the end with the hammer but it failed to pierce the metal surface.

“Just a little harder than that,” Burt told her. “It won’t bite.”

“No, but it might burst into flames.” Carley grumbled as she struck it again. The sharpened rod dented the metal of the tank even more but still didn’t penetrate.

“Come on,” Saul urged her. “Show us those muscles.”

One last hit finally drove the brass rod through the bottom of the tank.

“You got it,” Burt said. “Now quickly slide the container under it before pulling the rod free.”

Carley followed his instructions and when she pulled the rod free, gasoline quickly started to empty into the container.

That was easy and no flames or explosions.

Smiling, she crawled back out from underneath the SUV and stood up with a helping hand from Burt.

“How many more do we need?” She asked.

“If we can fill up five gas cans, we’ll be good to go.” Saul said.

Carley looked pass the SUV to the long line of abandoned cars, locked in a traffic jam that stretched on for miles. This place has become an easy source of canned goods and fuel for them to pick over. The only danger is to avoid being taken by surprise of any large packs of walkers wandering along. Just twenty feet away, Michael stood on the roof of their humvee on the lookout to avoid any such incidents.

“All of them were trying to flee to Atlanta.” Carley said. “Trying to get somewhere safe.”

“Like getting there would have been any better,” Saul replied. “Before the official channels went dead, the last communication we received was that the city became infested. It sounded like hell on earth, literally one half of Atlanta was eating the other half. Finally, someone gave the order for the air force to bomb it.”

This was first time Carley had heard of this and she was horrified. “Bomb Atlanta?”

Saul nodded his head. “Everyone was panicking by then, including our leaders. That’s when we knew we just hit rock bottom and with communications cut off we were on our own. We tried our best to save anyone we could and simply get through this,” Then he gestured towards the abandoned vehicles. “Come on, let’s gather up what we can and get out of here.”

About an hour later, they had managed to scrounge up the needed five cans of gasoline. Along with that, they collected several boxes of canned food and even some guns and ammo, almost filling the back of the humvee to the roof.

Carley was taking a turn on lookout duty as Michael loaded the last of the supplies in the back. She glanced down at him from the roof of the vehicle.

Now is a good time as any. Carley thought.

“Michael, I know I asked this many times…” She started to say.

He stopped and looked up. Michael knew what she was going to ask and it was starting to annoy him but he had to credit Carley for her determination.

“And my answer is still no. I’m sorry but Savannah is too risky. I know they’re your friends but I can’t risk my people to help yours, not without more information as to what happened to them. You don‘t even remember what happened to yourself.”

“And I understand but I have another proposal. Let’s try Macon, its closer and I know the place to try to look for them.”

“The motel?”

Carley nodded. “If something went wrong, they would have gone back there and it might be worth your time. We have our own supplies, including fuel and weapons if it’s still there.”

“It’s still about 70 miles.”

Michael paused. “Okay, just give me a day to think about it.”

“Thank you.” Carley said just as Saul and Burt returned with the last of supplies they had gathered.

“Get a load of what I found,” Saul reached into the box he was carrying and pulled out a tiny package. “Twinkies! And just not any Twinkies but the last Twinkies that anyone will enjoy in the whole universe.”

“They must be how many months old and sitting in a hot car just baking,” Carley winced in disgust. “And you want to share?”

“Oh, come on,” Saul said. “Remember Zombieland with Woody Harrelson when his character delivers that line; ‘There's a box of Twinkies in that grocery store. Not just any box of Twinkies, the last box of Twinkies that anyone will enjoy in the whole universe. Believe it or not, Twinkies have an expiration date’ … And you guys really have no clue as to what I am talking about.”

“Zombieland?” Burt laughed. “Never heard of it but let me guess, did it have zombies in it?”

“I think I was in a place called Iraq at the time.” Michael commented. “Didn’t see it either.”

“I hate Twinkies and junk food in general,” Carley said before taking one last look around to make sure no walkers were about before hopping down from the roof. “And guess what, I also hate horror movies and now I’m living in one. How ironic is that?”

“I’m willing to bet at least you are no longer afraid of spiders.” Burt mused aloud.

Carley just looked at him before grinning. “Yes and now it’s replaced with punching holes in gas tanks.”

Her joke immediately earned a good laugh from the old marine when suddenly from inside their humvee, their radio came to life as a panicked male voice was heard.

“Mayday, mayday, mayday! This is Atlanta news copter, is anyone out there? Mayday, mayday, mayday!”

“Holy shit!” Saul exclaimed, shocked to hear another human voice on the radio that wasn’t from their group.

Michael quickly ran and opened the door to the vehicle and grabbed the radio mike and spoke calmly into it, taking the risk of using his rank and name.

“This is Sergeant Cross. We read you. Can you give us your location?”

For a moment there was silence then the voice returned in guarded relief. “We’re south of some town… We’re checking the map… It’s Woodbury. We’re losing oil pressure fast! I have to put her down soon. Can you help us, Sergeant Cross?”

“Woodbury,” Saul thought, remembering it’s location from memory. “That’s about a 20 minute drive if none of the roads are blocked. We never explored that area before.”

“We have to try and help them,” Michael said before speaking into the radio mike again. “Atlanta copter, we read you and we’re on our way. It’s going to take us at least 20 minutes to reach you and it’s vital you have something that can signal us. An emergency hand radio, some flares, or even smoke signals if you have to.”

“Understood and thank you Sergeant Cross.”

“And remember, you’re probably going to have company when you’re back on the ground. Just run and climb onto something high and solid to get out of their reach but try to stay close to the crash site.”

“You don’t have to tell us twice… Shit! Engine is failing… Going down… We’re coming down along Highway 85... About ten miles south of Woodbury… Trees! Everyone brace!!! Fuck… “

Then the radio transmission went dead.

“Atlanta copter, are you still there?” Michael called but he received nothing but static. “Atlanta copter, do you read?”

“We will be wasting a lot of fuel searching for them.” Burt said. “Surviving a helicopter crash is dicey enough without the threat of walkers waiting for you as you crawl your way out of the wreckage.”

“I know.” Michael considered for a moment. “But we’re going to give them a chance and find them.”

They loaded up the rest of the supplies and radioed the Nest about their unexpected detour north before setting off towards Woodbury. Along the way, twice they had to backtrack to find another route because of blocked roads . Burt wasn’t happy about the amount of fuel they were using in trying to find the helicopter but Michael was behind the wheel and he wasn’t planning to give up on them.

Saul was still checking the map when they finally got on Highway 85 which would take them directly to Woodbury. All the way it was more of the same, rows of abandoned cars and sheer desolation of entire communities. If there were other survivors, then they’re in hiding. Nothing else was moving except for walkers. The ones on the road were easy to maneuver around them but a few times the narrow roads forced Michael to run them over.

By now, Burt was voicing his concerns about the real possibly of breaking down out there and being out of range with their CBs when in the front passenger seat, Carley spotted something to her right. A very faint trail of smoke rising amongst some trees

“I think I see something.”

Just a half of a mile off Highway 85, almost concealed in a group of trees was the helicopter. Michael steered the humvee and went off the road to make their way to it. As they got closer, they could see the helicopter was a complete write off but the pilot and crew section looked mostly intact.

Michael stopped the humvee about sixty feet away and no walkers were in sight for the moment. With weapons ready, they exited the vehicle and slowly approached the wreck.

“Definitely an Atlanta news copter and the engine is still smoking,” Carley observed. “This has to be it.”

“No bodies,” Saul commented as they drew closer. “In another time and world, that would be considered a good sign.”

“Well, lets get this over with,” Burt muttered before shouting out in every direction. “Hello! We’re here to save your sorry asses! Come on out!”

Michael stared at the former marine saying in a very dry tone. “Thank you Burt.”

“Just trying to move things along,” Burt replied. “If they’re alive they should be answering.”

Saul moved around the copter and stared at the ground. “I have a lot of foot prints here!” The rest of them joined him as he inspected the direction of the tracks in the soft ground. “A set of tracks came from the north and probably took the survivors. If they went willingly, I can‘t say.”

“So are we going after them?” Carley asked.

“I don’t like this,” Burt said. “We have no idea what we‘re getting ourselves into.”

“We just might have found another group of survivors.” Saul said. “It’s worth investigating.”

“They could be bandits for all we know.” Burt replied. “I say we head back while we can.”

Michael was still studying the tracks around the copter, debating whether to follow them or not when he noticed something else.

“There are another set of tracks over here,” he pointed out to the others. “Three people came from the east and it looks like they followed the group that came from the north.”

“Another group of survivors?” Carley said hopefully. It was comforting to know that they were not the last people on earth. “What should we do?”

At that very same moment, they were all being watched unknowingly from a hill top just a few hundred yards away. Three figures were huddled behind some bushes.

The leader of the small group lowered a pair of binoculars down from his face. “The Governor was right, that helicopter crash is pulling every living person in for miles. We have two heavily armed soldiers with two civilians in tow, some old guy and a woman with an eye patch and both of them are armed too.”

“Fuck, anyone can put on a uniform and helmet and look the part. That‘s doesn‘t mean anything,” A second man commented before pointing to the brunette woman next to them. “Give the binoculars to her. She claims to be military. She might spot something amiss if they‘re fakes.”

The leader passed the binoculars to the brunette who then took them to study Michael’s group.

“Their gear looks real, including their weapons, helmets and ballistic vests.” She informed them. “Right down to the way they‘re wearing their equipment, military patches and even how they move‘”

She then looked over the two civilians with them. She saw the huge older man was holding a Desert Eagle pistol and the woman was carrying a Glock but she was looking in the other direction, keeping her face from view. Giving up, the brunette turned her binoculars to inspect their ride.

“Their vehicle is not a civilian hummer. That’s definitely a military up armored humvee.” She told them. “We’ll need explosives if we have to stop it.”

The second man shook his head at the unwelcomed news. “Are you sure Lilly?”

“Positive.” Lilly looked at them. “Just because I was an air force mechanic doesn’t mean I was limited to just fixing planes.”

“Well, that doesn’t change anything.“ the leader said. “The Governor is interested in anyone else who comes to investigate the crash site and to determine if they‘re a threat. We have to try everything possible to get them to come back to Woodbury with us.”

Lilly looked doubtful. “Terry, it might be wise if we let this group pass. If they are hostile, it‘ll be for the best if they don‘t know about us.”

“We already had three people appearing at our doorstep not long ago and the Governor wants information on anyone else who shows up,” Terry said firmly. “He won’t be happy if we just let them go. We’ll just approach them and act all friendly. No doubt they’ll be curious about us too, then we can use that to lure them back with us. It’s risky but it’s not like one of them is going to shoot you just on the spot Lilly.”

Next Chapter: Crossfire
  • edited September 2012
    Ooh tension! *DA-DA, DAAA!*
  • edited September 2012
  • edited September 2012
    Great chapter! Very unexpected turn of events.
  • edited September 2012
    Nice ! :D
  • edited September 2012
  • edited September 2012
    more,more,more!: D: D: D
  • edited September 2012
    Really neat story-line...any chance you could make one for Doug? :3
    I really liked Doug :3
    Pwetty pwese :3
  • edited September 2012
    Moar please :D
  • edited September 2012
    This is an awesome story! xD it makes me want more :B, oh the tensed suspension. great job on this!

..don't do it Lilly D:
  • edited September 2012
    Just a quick note. I’m appreciating all the feedback and even some requests that I am getting. As much as the ‘We’re Alive’ crew could really use Doug’s technical know-how I just don’t have the desire to start another story focusing on him. I’m sorry.

For Carley’s story, I am planning a few more chapters before wrapping this up. I do have an ending in mind and it will be a happy one… sort of. No rainbows or unicorns, just something as close as you can get to with the world being swarmed by zombies.

Chapter Five: Crossfire

Burt wasn’t having any of this and made it known to everyone else, especially Michael. “Trying to follow those tracks through the woods would mean abandoning the humvee. I hope that’s not what you are suggesting?”

“No, I’m not,” Michael replied calmly. “Saul and I will go and you and Carley will stay with the humvee. We’ll keep in radio contact and just see where the tracks go.”

“I agree with Burt on this one,” Carley spoke up. Michael and Saul were too valuable to risk. “Following those tracks might be a bad idea and we shouldn’t split up.”

“We could try broadcasting on every channel and see if anyone answers,” Saul suggested. “If any groups of survivors are around, they should have a radio going and listening for anyone over the airwaves.”

Carley nodded in agreement. “Let’s at least try that first.”

It sounded like a good idea to Michael but it would be tipping their hand to any hostiles that they were here. This rescue mission for the helicopter crew just got way more complicated that he would like. Then he saw Burt tense up.

“We’ve got company.” The former marine warned aloud, pointing past Michael’s shoulder.

Michael turned and saw three people standing on a hill top just a little over two hundred yards away. One of them was holding a white cloth high up in the air. Michael reached for a side pouch on his vest and pulled out a small pair of binoculars. Bringing the field glasses to his eyes, he saw it was two men and a woman. The one standing in the middle holding the white cloth also had a hunting rifle slung across his shoulder.

“What do we have?” Saul asked.

“I think they want to talk.” Michael said, putting his binoculars back in its pouch.

“And I suppose you’re going over there to chat,” Burt commented. “If that’s the cause I’m going with you to watch your back.”

Michael looked at the old marine. “I’m touched but it’s a good idea.” Then he turned to the rest of the group. “Saul, stay here with the humvee and cover us with your rifle.”

“You got it,” Saul said. “Just be careful.”

Michael glanced at their newest member. “Carley, stick to Saul and watch our flanks, just in case they try to have someone sneak behind our position.”

“I will and the same from me, be careful you two.” She told them.

“I think they’re trying to jinx us, Michael.” Burt laughed slightly at everyone‘s concern. “Let’s go see what they want.”

Saul and Carley headed back to the humvee as Michael and Burt started walking towards the three newcomers. As they approached, the newcomers started moving towards Michael and Burt to meet them halfway.

Halfway there, Michael and Burt stepped over an old fallen tree, apparently knocked over by strong winds years before, ripping the roots right out of the ground.

“Would I be overdoing it by saying I have a bad feeling about this?” Burt said under his breath as they drew closer to the newcomers.

“I get that feeling too Burt, but it’s worth taking the risk if we make friendly contact with other survivors,” Michael replied softly. “We could setup some trade for items like machine parts or food. Let’s hear what they have to say but be ready.”

“Don’t have to tell me twice.” The old former marine muttered quietly as they finally came face to face with the three new arrivals, stopping within several feet of each other.

There was a brief moment of silence as the two sides stared at one another. Michael took a good look at them. The one holding the white cloth and carrying the rifle was still in the middle of the group and stood average in height and appeared to be in his late thirties. The man relaxed a little, lowering the cloth to smile. To his left was a slightly younger man, about the same height and was smiling nervously. To the right was a shorter brunette woman, maybe in her mid twenties and was watching Michael and Burt with a guarded emotionless expression. She would make a good poker player.

The rifle was the only weapon Michael could see but he was sure they carried other weapons concealed under their coats.

Burt had Shirley, his Desert Eagle gun holstered but Michael held his M4 rifle close to his chest with the barrel pointed down and the safety on.

The one in the middle spoke first. His voice sounded relaxed. “I see you came to inspect the helicopter crash. We found the pilot and the crew alive and in good shape and they were taken back to Woodbury.”

Michael nodded and watched their body language closely as he spoke to them. “We picked up their distress call and we came to help. We’re happy that they’re safe.”

“You could meet them if you like.” The man replied. “My name is Terry and this Ron and Lilly.”

The soldier and former marine shared a quick glance of surprise. Terry saw their reaction. “Is something wrong?”

“No,” Michael replied now looking at the woman. “Your last name wouldn’t happened be Caul would it?”

Lilly looked surprised. “How do you know my last name?”

“I think we have a friend of yours, a girl by the name of Carley” Burt said. “We found her four weeks ago, shot and left for dead on the road. She has been trying to find you and the rest of your group ever since. I bet she’ll be glad to see you.”

Terry and Ron looked surprised to this unexpected turn of events but this could work to their benefit in gaining their trust. However, for Lilly, it felt like the earth was about to open up and swallow her.

Carley is alive?
    She thought in disbelief. This can’t be.

Lilly finally found her voice. “This has to be a mistake.”

“This is no mistake, I can prove it.” Michael said reaching for his shoulder mike and radioed the people at the humvee. “Penguin, can you send up Rooster. Tell her we have Lilly with us and we confirmed it. Over.”

A few seconds later, Saul happily answered back. “She’s on her way. This is good news Broken Wing. Over.”

Terry smirked. “Nicknames?”

“Yeah,” Michael nodded. “For security against prying ears but it does work.”

Lilly wasn’t amused like Terry or Ron. She was trying to keep calm as she watched from about 100 yards, a small lithe figure moved from Michael’s humvee and started hurrying towards them.

This has to be mistake. Lilly thought. If this was really Carley she would have told them what happened and they would have at least pulled their weapon on us already.

“Is something wrong?” Burt said to Lilly. “You are suddenly looking pale.”

“I’m fine.” Lilly answered, her eyes drifting towards the small figure still approaching them.

Burt followed Lilly’s glaze and looked towards Carley as the former reporter came closer. The old marine faced the brunette again, his suspicion growing. “Is there something we should know before she gets here?”

Terry didn’t like this at all. What was going on with Lilly and this Carley woman?

“Wait a minute, I have no idea what is going on but I assure you…” He started to say.

“Shut up,” Burt growled. “I’m not talking to you. I’m talking to Lilly here. Got something to get off you chest?”

“Just a damn minute!” Ron said loudly. “What right do you have to interrog…”

He was instantly silenced by the tiny but ominous click of Michael flipping his M4 selective rate of fire lever, switching it from safety to single shot. Michael never moved his weapon, keeping the barrel aimed at the ground but the point was made clear.

We’re talking now so STFU!

The army Sergeant spoke evenly but forcefully to all three individuals in front of him.

“Carley lost part of her short term memory from the trauma she suffered. She remembers the bandit raid on the motel and the escape on the RV but what happened between that and when she woke up on that stretch of road is a troubling mystery for her and for us now.”

Michael locked his eyes with Lilly and the air force mechanic felt her mouth go dry as he asked with an eerie calm voice. “Care to fill in the blanks? I’m betting that you know what happened, so tell us. Who shot her and why?”

Lilly looked at him and to Carley who was very close now, hurrying as fast as she could. Lilly could now see her clearly, the eye patch she was wearing on the left side of her face, the injury she had inflicted on her. She thought about that night, the intense uncontrollable anger she felt because someone inside their group betrayed them and from losing everything to the bandit attack. Then in a fit of rage, she lashed out in violence, using a gun over mere words spoken harshly to her. Lilly tried not to think about that night and what she did but her actions were finally catching up with her again.

Lilly closed her eyes and whispered. “I did it.”

“What?” Burt said.

“I did it,” Lilly repeated, opening her eyes. “I shot her.”

This was earth shattering news to Terry and Ron as well. Terry just stared in horror, while Ron just gasped out. “Oh shit…”

Michael was stunned. “You did that to her?”

“Fuck me…” Burt muttered to himself before his face reddened with rage. “For all the -- Why?!!”

It was almost amazing to Lilly that she didn’t care anymore or what they would do. It was out and she was relieved. “It doesn’t matter. I did it and I can’t take it back.”

Behind them, they could hear Carley shouting out almost joyfully. “Lilly!”

“We’re leaving right now.” Michael said to Burt before shouting out to the woman approaching them from behind, never talking his eyes off the three people in front of him. “Don’t come any closer Carley!”

The young woman stopped within thirty feet of them, confused. The tone in his voice worried her and she put her hand on the holster to her weapon. “What’s wrong Michael?”

“Just stay there!” Michael yelled still keeping his eyes forward. Then under his breath he spoke to Lilly. “She will kill you if she finds out and I’m not really in the mood to stop her.”

Burt just glared furiously at her. “You’re not alone in that sentiment, Michael.”

Seeing Michael and Burt’s attention was on Lilly and concern for his own safety, Ron tried to reach for his gun that was concealed in his waist belt behind his back. The instant he tried, Burt’s eagle eyes caught his movement and the old marine pulled out his Desert Eagle and leveled it in his direction within a heart beat.

“Don’t even try it!” Burt snarled at Ron. “Shirley here can be very unforgiving!”

Michael brought up his M4, his finger on the trigger. “We’re leaving. Don’t try to stop us.”

“No, please try to stop us!” Burt taunted them.

“Burt…” Michael warned. He didn’t want any bloodshed if they could avoid it and possibly cause serious problems between them and this Woodbury in the future.

Suddenly, Carley was beside them with her pistol ready. “What is going on?”

“We’re going.” Michael told her. “Get back to the humvee. We‘ll cover you.”

Carley couldn’t understand what was happening then she looked to Lilly. “What about her? We just found Lilly, we can‘t leave.”

“Oh, yes we can.” Burt said with a sneer. “She might try to finish what she started.”

Carley became even more confused. “What?”

“Carley,” Michael almost begged, trying to keep his eyes on the three Woodbury people in front of him. “You have to trust me, go back to the humvee right now. Burt, shut up!”

“No, I have questions!” Carley said before looking to Lilly. “What is going on? Where is Lee and the others? Talk to me Lilly!”

“Carley!” Michael shouted, raising his voice for the first time. “Leave now!”

“Will someone please TALK TO ME?!!” Carley yelled.

“They have gone to Savannah.” Lilly finally spoke. “Or at least tried to, I can’t say if they made it.”

Carley calmed down a bit as she looked back to Lilly. “Did something happen? Is that why you’re here?”

“Yes… I was left behind.” The brunette told her.

The former reported blinked in surprise. “Why?” Carley was suddenly becoming afraid of the answer but she had to know.

“Carley,” Michael said, trying to get her attention. “We need to get out of here. Let’s go.”

“Fuck this,” Burt had enough. “She has every right to know what this bitch did to her.”

“Know what? What happened?” Carley demanded once more to Lilly. “Tell me what happened? TELL ME!!!”

Lilly took in what might be her last breath and looked Carley right into her one remaining eye. “Lee and the others left me behind because I shot you.”

For a moment, Carley didn’t react. She just stood there horrified as her mind struggled to process the words ringing in her ears. Then her expression became as hard as granite when she suddenly moved, stepping towards Lilly. Her intent was clear as she raised her glock, aiming it at Lilly‘s head.

“Carley!” Michael shouted.

Standing next to the humvee, Saul didn’t like this. At first everything seemed okay and Carley was overjoyed when Michael radioed them, telling them they had found someone from her old group.

However, as soon as Carley got up there, Michael and Burt drew their weapons. He watched through the scope of his rifle and Carley even looked rather upset now and her anger seemed directed at this Lilly person.

Despite her injuries, Carley was still pretty and even her eye-patch made her look a bit of a badass but Saul had never seen her really mad before and it was definitely not a pretty sight. What happened to set her off?

As he watched, a gentle breeze brought a foul stench in the air. The type of stomach turning odor that only one thing can bring. Cautiously, Saul looked over his shoulder and he saw several walkers slowly moving through the trees about hundred feet away. Thankfully, he was up wind to them so the walkers hadn’t picked up his scent yet. Unfortunately, they were passing very close and it was only a matter of time before one looked his way and spotted fresh meat.

Carefully and with no sudden movement, he reached for his radio to warn Michael when he heard a single gunshot. Saul jerked around and looked towards Michael and the other’s position.

Even from this distance, his naked eyes could make out what had happened. “No!”

Then with an icy chill, Saul remembered what was behind him, he turned and saw several walkers now looking towards the sound of the gunshot and him. They starting moving towards the lone soldier and behind them came dozens of more walkers out of the trees. There could be an entire herd of them in the woods, maybe in the hundreds.

This was bad and he was the guy in the middle.

“No, not now!” Saul cursed. He raised his rifle, flipping the safety off and started shooting.

Next Chapter: Confessions
  • edited September 2012
    fantastic story MORE!!!!
    A question will appear on it Lee: D?
  • edited September 2012
    Awesome! Keep Them coming! :)
  • edited September 2012
    I suspect Lilly got off lucky. Just think what Carley would have done if this Lilly also confessed to stealing the RV and abandoning the group. Canon or not ~ BOOM!
  • edited October 2012
    I cannot believe how many times I rewrote this chapter but the ending was worth it. :cool:

Chapter Six: Confessions

Lilly had her eyes closed when she heard Carley’s sudden question. When the former reporter walked up to her to place her gun to her forehead, Lilly expected her life to end right there. She couldn’t fight, not with Carley’s two well armed companions standing just a few feet away.

Slowly, Lilly opened her eyes to find the barrel of Carley’s glock still hovering inches from her face. The woman holding the gun on her was trembling with rage. Lilly knew at best, she was on borrowed time.

“Why did you do that to me?” Carley demanded once more.

“I had two likely suspects that could have been giving our supplies to the bandits. Ben and you,” Lilly said in a shaky voice. Expecting the gun pointed at her to be fired at any second.

“And that’s why you shot me?” Carley hissed. “I didn’t betray you or the group!”

Lilly flinched as the gun moved a bit closer to her forehead. “Lee spoke out in your defense… and I believed him.”

“So what happened? Why did you shoot me!”

Lilly debated what to say but decided to put everything out on the table and not go out as a crying coward, even if Carley kills her for it.

“You wouldn’t shut up.”

“After eliminating you, it had to be Ben and I was grilling him but you kept trying to defend him. Why couldn’t you just shut up?”

Carley gave out a little half laugh, using her free left hand to point to the remains of the left side of her face. “So bitch, please tell me what I said to you that earned me a missing eye?”

“My father practically used to say the same thing to me while growing up and I hated it but he did it to toughen me,” Lilly said. “You’re just a scared little girl. Get the fuck over it. When you said it and between what Kenny did to him in that meat locker… I lost it.”

“You lost it?!! I think I might lose it myself right now.” Carley slowly tightened her finger on the trigger of her gun. “Any last words?”

Lilly gave a short fatalistically laugh. “What do you want me to say? I’m sorry? It’s nearly empty and meaningless to you as our world has become to us. I had nothing left after I lost my dad.”

“Nothing left? I was in the same boat that night with you in that RV. My entire family is gone! Don’t try to make me feel sorry for you!”

“Don’t give me that, you had Lee.” Lilly said. “I saw the way you two looked at each other.”

Carley hesitated. Another question came to mind that she needed to be answered. One that had be plaguing her every night. “I was still alive, why was I left behind with you.”

“Ben checked you and declared that you were dead. Obviously he‘s a bigger idiot than we thought.”

“What about Lee? Where was he?”

“He was busy disarming me,” Lilly told her, remembering that night. “The look in his eyes, he wanted to kill me for what I did to you but I guess he liked Kenny’s suggestion to just leave me behind. He would have checked you himself but the gunshot attracted some walkers and Kenny had to physically pull him into the RV. You were lucky the walkers were focused on me and not on you.”

“And the others, are they safe?”

“Clementine and the rest of them are safe as far as I can tell when they left me,” Lilly paused and looked very tired now. “So, are you going to shot me now and or simply ask more questions?”

“Carley,” Michael finally spoke up. She almost forgot that they still had an audience. “She’s not worth it.”

“Except I have a nice little reminder whenever I look into a mirror thanks to her.” Carley replied, her anger boiling over again. “Do you know what it is like to hate the very sight of your own reflection?”

Michael’s answer was sincere. “Yes I do and you will hate yourself even more if you do this.”

“Then tell me how to forgive something like this?” Carley said through clenched teeth. “She scarred me for life!”

“I never said it would be easy,” Michael said. “But you have some of your answers about Lee and the others. We can go home and figure this out. You‘re not alone.”

Carley lowered her weapon slightly as she glanced from the soldier to the old marine.

“Don’t look at me.” Burt said softly as he could with his gruff voice. “I would just shot her myself but you’re not me. Listen, just forget about me, forget about Michael, just do what you feel is right.”

What is right or wrong anymore? Carley thought darkly. There are no cops left to arrest her, let alone thinking of trying her in court. It was so easy to talk to Lee about doing the right thing, I even convinced him to tell people who were the closest to him about his past. It’s what I believed in but when something horrible happens to you then suddenly all of it goes out the window as you seek your pound of flesh in the name of revenge. My only two options are to kill Lilly or let her go. It’s easy to kill when defending yourself or others but to shoot someone who is defenceless. However, this is what that bitch did to me!!! I hate this…

Slowly, Carley lowered her gun and Lilly was literally holding her breath, unsure what was going to happen next.

“I want you to listen to me Lilly,” Carley said, her voice dripping with venom. “If I ever see you again, so help me I will…”

She was interrupted by a gunshot.

Carley flinched but she wasn’t hit. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw and heard Michael’s ballistic vest take the hit. Burt took his eyes off of the Woodbury people for a second as he saw Michael stagger slightly from the force of the impact.

Using that distraction, Ron went for his gun. Reaching behind, he pulled out a 357 magnum revolver from his waistband and aimed it at Burt. Before he could fire, Ron was hit multiple times in the chest and once in the head from Carley, as she unloaded her own weapon into him.

Terry was shouting, unable to stop Ron from getting himself killed. Terry didn’t want this mess to happen and now they’re going to die because the fool who was covering them thought it was a good idea to shot the soldier dressed in body armor first. Suddenly, he was tackled by Lilly, as she pushed him to the ground, just as Michael shook off the hit and stood up straight and returned fire towards the hill top.

“Get behind me!” Michael yelled as he fired his rifle at the hill, trying to find, or at least, keep their attacker from sniping at them again.

“Stay down!” Carley shouted at Lilly and Terry. “Don’t fucking look at us!”

“Look up and you’re dead!” Burt added. The two on the ground instantly obeyed.

From the humvee, they heard Saul open up, firing several rounds over their heads at the same hilltop. There was a pause in firing when they heard his slightly stressed voice over Michael’s radio.

“I got a lot walkers coming at me from behind my position! Get back here now before I run out of bullets because I refuse to be on their menu!”

“Get back to the humvee!” Michael ordered. “I’ll cover you!”

Carley didn’t argue this time as she and Burt started retreating back to the humvee, firing several parting shots at the hilltop, adding their fire to Michael’s and Saul’s.

Dashing back to their vehicle, Carley ran as fast as she could. Even though Burt was twice her age, the old but still strong marine was out pacing her. Then she heard Michael behind her and she glanced over her shoulder, expecting the army sergeant to be passing her but he was right on her tail, almost shadowing her. Michael was in excellent shape and even with all his gear on, he could outrun her fairly easily but he was remaining right behind her. Carley then realized he was shielding her. He had the helmet and protective vest on and he was using his body to protect her from any possible sniper fire.

They came to the old fallen tree and Burt jumped over it first. Then it was Carley’s turn and she leapt over it but a second later, she heard the shot from behind and a cry of pain from Michael. She stopped to look back to see Michael on the ground in a sprawling heap just pass the log. He must have been hit when he had just jumped over it. She feared that he was dead but then she saw him moving and blood on the back of his right thigh soaking his uniform.

“Michael!” Carley ran back to him even as the sniper fired again and missed, hitting the ground beside her. Then she heard Saul’s rifle returning fire.

Holstering her gun, she dropped down to Michael’s side. Grasping his protective vest with both hands and all her might, Carley started pulling him back towards the log for cover.

It was then Michael started coming back to his senses from his hard face plant to the ground. He realized he was being dragged back to the log and saw who was helping him. “What are you doing Carley? Run!”

“Shut up and help me move you!” Carley shouted back.

Using his arms and good leg, Michael helped Carley move him back to fallen tree. She collapsed down to Michael’s right as the sniper opened fire again, striking the log.

Michael checked his rifle before looking at Carley. “You should have kept on running.” He told her .

“You’re welcomed,” She replied sarcastically. “Can you imagine the hell that Pegs would give me if anything happened to you?”

Michael shook his head with a slight smile and pointed to Carley. “Watch our right and the tree line. Our left is okay, it’s clear straight to the highway and Saul has an easy line of sight over that area.”

Nodding, and still keeping low, Carley drew her gun again and aimed it to protect their right flank. “How’s your leg?” She asked.

“Hurts but nothing is broken.” Michael grunted as he tested his leg. “Bleeding is not bad. Nothing vital was hit.”

“Want me to check it?” She offered.

“No, keep your eyes forward. We’ll just wait for Saul and Burt. They will come for us in the humvee.” Michael said as he watched Burt reach their vehicle and disappeared behind it before hearing an eruption of gunfire.

That didn’t sound too promising. Carley thought.

“Uh, are you sure you don’t what me to slap a tourniquet on it if we have a longer than expected wait?” She offered again.

Puffing, Burt finally reached the humvee and as he came around to the other side, he found a slaughter. Dozens of walkers were littered about twenty feet from their vehicle. Saul was alternating between giving them covering fire against the sniper on the hill before being forced to shoot the walkers that were creeping up behind him. He was basically fighting a battle on two fronts, protecting them and protecting himself.

The old marine walked towards the young black soldier while firing Shirley at three of the closest walkers causing their heads to literally explode from the impact of the powerful rounds fired from his Desert Eagle gun.

“Michael got hit!” Saul yelled to him as he also turned to fire on even more walkers continuing to pour from the forest.

“I know!” Burt shouted back as he shot his gun again at the approaching dead, his temper threatening to get the better of him. “I knew this rescue would be a waste of fuel, ammo and maybe our lives!” He then gestured his head to the humvee. “Get in and pop the roof hatch! I’m driving and while you‘re at it, get the SAW out of the back!”

They just fucked with the wrong people! Burt thought to himself and he was going to hit that point home to these Woodbury people.

“I don’t see them.”

“What?” Carley looked back at Michael in alarm to see him peeking over the log with his rifle, trying to locate the sniper. She then glanced to the humvee which hadn’t moved yet.

“I don’t see them,” Michael repeated before ducking back down. “Lilly and Terry must have crawled out of sight.”

Carley looked at him and his bleeding leg for a moment. “I’m sorry.”

“For what?”

“I endangered everyone by threatening to kill Lilly.”

Michael managed a chuckle. “Well, she did pull a Dick Cheney on you but in the end you kept control. A lot better than some soldiers I served with during combat.” He paused and looked at her. “When we get out of here, I’ll see if I can get some volunteers to go with you to Macon and check out that motel and see if your friends are there. It sounds like a longshot after what Lilly told us but we can make sure.”

Carley couldn’t help but smile. “Thank you Michael.”

“Good,” he pointed to Carley’s right. “Now, keeping checking that tree line, until we‘re out of here.”

“You got it boss.”

A moment later, she heard Michael saying in relief. “The humvee is moving. They’re coming for us.”

Carley glanced over and the humvee was indeed on the move and heading for them. Then she finally saw the massive horde of walkers slowly trying to chase after the vehicle.

Quietly, she started praying for their transportation. Please don’t breakdown. Please don’t breakdown. Please don’t breakdown. Please don’t breakdown.

Standing with the top hatch opened, Saul rested the M249 Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW) on it’s bipod on the roof of the humvee before levelling it down range at the hill. With a simple pull of the trigger he unleashed a hail of 5.56 rounds. He couldn’t see the sniper but machine gun fire is always an effective deterrent for any would be living attacker. Accuracy by volume hardly ever fails.

Burt accelerated slightly as he swerved around the log placing the armoured vehicle between Michael & Carley and the hill where the sniper was firing from.

“Get in!” Saul yelled to them as he fired another long burst from the M249 as they came to a complete stop next to them.

Carley grabbed Michael by the arm and helped to pull him to his feet and together they stood up.

It took a bit of effort and luck but Terry managed to circle quickly around to flank them. Their leader Michael was with that Carley woman and both were seeking shelter behind that fallen tree. He was back in far enough in the woods on their right that they couldn’t see him. In fact, their leader appeared to be wounded.

Both he and Lilly managed to crawl their way to the trees to get out of the crossfire. However, as soon as they got to cover, Lilly started to insist that they head back to Woodbury but he wasn’t going runaway like a coward. That Carley woman killed Ron and he was going to make her pay.

As Terry readied his rifle, it was then the humvee pulled up and one of them was on top firing a machine gun!

Terry ducked down further but they still couldn’t see him. As he watched, Carley helped Michael to his feet to get him to the vehicle. It was perfect. He couldn’t do much to the soldiers with their protective helmets and vests, but she was between him and their leader, completely exposed.

“Goodnight darling.” He whispered. This is for Ron.

He careful raised his rifle and sighted her in. He was an expert hunter and had made shots from this distance many times before. He rested the crosshairs on her head before he held his breath and squeezed the trigger.

A hand slammed down on the barrel of his rifle as he fired, striking the ground instead. Startled, he looked up to see Lilly was standing over him.

“NO!” She said. “Just let them go!”

Angry, he rose up to his knees. “What the fuck…” He started to demand.

Saul heard a rifle shot to his right. He swung the machine gun around and immediately raked the nearby tree line with a shower of lead. He kept on shooting, giving covering fire as Carley helped Michael into the back of the humvee before jumping into the front passenger seat herself.

As the doors to the humvee closed, Burt floored the vehicle and they were off racing back to Highway 85 and home leaving Woodbury and the hungry mass of walkers far behind them.

Lilly heard the roaring engine of the humvee departing which intermingled with the sounds of hundreds of moaning walkers nearby. She was amazed to be alive after what felt like the entire forest around her exploded with machine gun fire.

She tried to get up but there was weight across her chest holding her down, it was Terry’s body. Carefully, Lilly pushed him off and checked him. He was just inches from her but he was stuck with several fatal rounds fired from that machine gun and she was barely scratched.

She looked upon his body with sadness. Like her, he just didn’t know when to let go. He wanted to avenge Ron but killing Carley could have ignited a war between Carley’s well armed friends and theirs. Also, Carley decided to spare her life, for whatever her reason. Lilly owed her for that and for what she did to her before. She just wished Terry wasn’t the one that had to pay the price. He was kind to her and looked after her when she first joined Woodbury. Now she had some explaining to do with the Governor about the death of two of their people. She was starting to feel cursed.

Wasting little time, she gathered up Terry’s rifle and fired one mercy round for into him to prevent from turning. Now moving quickly, she hurried back to the top of the hill. Thankfully the departing humvee was drawing most of the walkers away from her by now.

She raced to the top of the hill, praying he was there because it will be a long dangerous walk back to Woodbury by herself. Once there, she looked and spotted the truck parked along the trail and standing next to it, holding his rifle was Bruce.

Lilly waved in relief and hurried to him, thankful he stuck around. Bruce himself was also relieved as she approached him. He was young and unfortunately, reminded Lilly a little too much of Ben from her old group but at least she could tolerate him.

“I thought you were all dead but I decided to wait five minutes.” Bruce said. “I saw what happened to Ron… Did Terry make it?”

Lilly shook her head and Bruce looked depressed and started blaming himself. “When they drew their weapons on you I didn’t know what to do. I thought that one woman was about to kill you. When I saw the chance, I took the shot and kept shooting until I ran out of ammo. What happened?”

“They…” Lilly thought for a moment. “They were interrogating us, trying to learn more about Woodbury. The number of people we have, weapons, food stores. You did the right thing.”

She wanted to punch Bruce for shooting in the first place. If he hadn’t, both sides could have walked away and never bothered each other again. Regardless, Lilly had to lie or the Governor would punish her. He seemed to be a good leader who can make the hard calls. Unfortunately, he can be very unforgiving to utter incompetence and especially to betrayal. Lilly was new and she can’t risk being thrown out or worst. However, Bruce is originally from Woodbury and all she had to do was matchup her story with what he saw.

Bruce looked up saw walkers cresting the hill that Lilly had just came over. They were following her. “We best clear out and get home. Did you get a name of who they were?”

“No,” Lilly shook her head as they hurried to the truck. “They didn’t give a name or where they are from.”

Lilly couldn’t believe how lost she was and she needed purpose, a reason to live. Maybe she could rebuild her life in Woodbury as she hoped. The people there seemed to have faith in this Governor and perhaps he can lead them all out of this darkness and horror and not into another nightmare.

She can only hope.

A mile down the road, Burt was driving the humvee as fast as he dared on the wreckage filled highway, trying to get Michael back to the Nest and Doctor Cottle as soon as possible.

“As soon as we’re in range of the Nest, I’ll radio them to be ready for us.” Burt said.

A concerned Carley looked over the backseat. “How is he?” She asked Saul as he worked to control the bleeding from Michael’s leg.

“I’m still conscious you know.” Michael winced as Saul tightened the tourniquet around his right thigh. “You can ask me.”

“But a patient makes
  • edited October 2012
    Lilly survived?
    ah dammit!
    Great chapter!
  • edited October 2012
    "Two likely suspects?" STFU Lilly.

Another great chapter, you managed to keep me interested during the action, something most fanfics don't manage. Keep em coming. :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.