User Avatar Image

Disney Buys Lucasfilm (and other stories)

posted by BlankCanvasDJ on - last edited - Viewed by 18.7K users
...and, by extension, LucasArts (since that's what we all really care about, I know).

http://www.benzinga.com/news/12/10/3039512/disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05b-in-cash-and-stock

I know, with the likes of Star Wars and Indiana Jones being snatched up, the LA catalogue probably isn't a big priority but I wonder what this could mean for the future of some of our favorite adventure games?

Could a Monkey Island theme park ride be in our future? Hmm.
681 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • BlankCanvasDJ;710494 said:
    A ride that would be greatly improved if it included a three headed monkey.
    Honestly, I'm kinda done with adding things to Pirates.

What I could really get behind would be a Grim Fandango ride. Sure, we've got the Haunted Mansion, but the Haunted Mansion doesn't have the Bone Wagon.
  • To be honest, my first thought was "oh god, Monkey Island is now dead". I really hope that's not true.
  • Kingdom Hearts can have a Star Wars level!
  • I wouldn't go bananas over this just yet.

Disney have had a good go at making games, and their licensing isn't too bad.
    They care more about them than Marvel and Lucasarts do anyway.

Who knows, maybe they will look very closely into the shambling corpse that is Lucasarts, and decide to either try to revive or put it out of its misery.
    (At least those IPs can then be outsourced to companies that actually WANT to make games... -_-)
  • Screw a Grim Fandango RIDE. Disney Pixar presents Grim Fandango: THE MOTION PICTURE.
  • Secret Fawful;710512 said:
    Screw a Grim Fandango RIDE. Disney Pixar presents Grim Fandango: THE MOTION PICTURE.
    I would watch that so much. Seriously, that game was perfect movie material.
  • Shadowknight1;710445 said:
    Addition to this. Disney also announced Star Wars Episode VII being targeted for a 2015 release date. Yes, the same year that's giving us The Avengers 2 and Justice League.
    It's worse than that. Who owns Marvel? Disney. Who now owns LucasFilm, and therefore Star Wars? Disney.

DISNEY ARE RELEASING TWO FILMS THAT WILL DIRECTLY COMPETE WITH EACH OTHER.
  • Here's the thing that gives me hope. Lucasfilms has so many great properties but no real desire to do anything with them. Even with Star Wars, all we've gotten recently has been The Clone Wars and the occasional crappy videogame. It seems like Disney bought the company because it intends to actually use the company.

My only fear is that The Clone Wars might suffer the fate that Spectacular Spider-man got.
  • Now Disney just needs to buy DC and WB.
Add Comment