User Avatar Image

Disney Buys Lucasfilm (and other stories)

posted by BlankCanvasDJ on - last edited - Viewed by 18.7K users
...and, by extension, LucasArts (since that's what we all really care about, I know).

http://www.benzinga.com/news/12/10/3039512/disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05b-in-cash-and-stock

I know, with the likes of Star Wars and Indiana Jones being snatched up, the LA catalogue probably isn't a big priority but I wonder what this could mean for the future of some of our favorite adventure games?

Could a Monkey Island theme park ride be in our future? Hmm.
681 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • As Gary put it - they're two very different things. They just both happen to also be about pirates.
  • I was being serious in the sense that, if they had a really good writer do it in a way that was part adaptation and part crossover, I could see it working. Monkey Island characters and plotlines could function and be entertaining in that universe, even without vending machines and whatnot.

I'm sure if they actually did it, it would come out bad though. They'd probably do something more like what they did with the content of On Stranger Tides, which is to say, basically nothing.
  • They tried adapting something using the Pirates universe, and On Stranger Tides was just....awful.
  • I wouldn't say awful, just... abysmal.
  • Unless if they got a writer(who happened to play the Monkey Island series) who knows how to put a good balance between MI and Pirates. I'm not interested in a crossover. Besides. Monkey Island had a chance for a movie,and we all know how that turned out. It never happened, and it never will since Disney beat Lucasarts to the punch with the pirate series. Heck. Even if they still went ahead with a film, there would be compare and contract with the pirate fans over similarities.

On the subject though...I see a lot of artists are enjoying the idea of Disney owning star wars since I just came across Stitch dressed as Yoda.
  • Leplaya;767726 said:
    On the subject though...I see a lot of artists are enjoying the idea of Disney owning star wars since I just came across Stitch dressed as Yoda.
    That has been something Disney themselves have been doing for years. Stitch as Yoda was definitely around years before the acquisition, as part of the cross-licensing that Star Wars and Disney already did due to their relationship through the Star Tours ride.
  • I remember seeing a picture of Mickey and Yoda with light sabers once.
  • I believe Stitch Yoda started being the thing in 2010, before that Stitch was generally interpreted as the Emperor.
  • Surely Pete should be the Emperor to Micky's Luke.
  • Rather Dashing;767711 said:
    They tried adapting something using the Pirates universe, and On Stranger Tides was just....awful.
    I thought On Stranger Tides was decent the one time I saw it. Personally felt it was better without Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley.
Add Comment