User Avatar Image

One thing I don't get...

posted by Stevean2115 on - last edited - Viewed by 778 users
And that is, Why the hell are Lee's group calling Zombie's Zombies?

Kirkman stated in his universe George A Romero's work didn't exist, so people choudnt use the word "Zombies" hence why there dubbed "Walkers"

but Why do Both Lee and Larry Call them "Zombies" seems like a big error to me..
19 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Most likely an oversight.
  • The term even exists in the comics. It's just not the specific go-to term like it is in this world. You can expect to see it pop up sometimes.
  • I think when Kirkman says that the Romero movies don't exist in the TWD universe, he just means that the characters are unaware of the typical tropes of a zombie movie. They don't know the things about zombies that we've learned from pop culture, like a bit being lethal and turning you, or needing to destroy the brain. But Romero didn't invent the word "zombie". He certainly may have given new life (heh) to the term but it had been in use for a while before Night of the Living Dead. Romero didn't even invent the first zombie film. That honor probably goes to "White Zombie" with Bela Lugosi all the way back in 1932.

    So the characters may be unaware of zombie fiction as we know it, but that doesn't mean they don't know the concept or word "zombie".
  • In the bits at the back of the comic,it says they /do/have zombie fiction etc, unlike /other/ zombie stories where the people have never heard of them before. Pretty sure of that,I read someone say they don't, so when I saw this bit, I read it a few times. Rick does refer to them as zombies,but says it feels weird or something. They're then classified as roamers, lurkers and the placid zombies by him, at least in the comic. Don't know about the tv show^-^
  • Keep in mind that I don't think Romero movies exist in the Romero universe too so you could also ask why his characters call them zombies.
  • Stevean2115;721403 said:
    And that is, Why the hell are Lee's group calling Zombie's Zombies?

    Kirkman stated in his universe George A Romero's work didn't exist, so people choudnt use the word "Zombies" hence why there dubbed "Walkers"

    but Why do Both Lee and Larry Call them "Zombies" seems like a big error to me..
    Romero didn't create the concept of a zombie, he just made it mainstream. some religions like voodoo and other crazy Caribbean cultures think you can bring the dead back to life.


    Plus...Romero didn't make the first zombie film.
  • mkane24;721829 said:
    Romero didn't create the concept of a zombie, he just made it mainstream. some religions like voodoo and other crazy Caribbean cultures think you can bring the dead back to life.


    Plus...Romero didn't make the first zombie film.
    It's not just some religions like 'voodoo and crazy Caribbean cultures' that think you can bring the dead back to life. Look at Christianity in general. After all, we now have a holiday devoted to a 'Zombie'. Admittedly, the holiday was acquired from the Pagans, but that is a conversation for another day.
  • cormoran;721587 said:
    Keep in mind that I don't think Romero movies exist in the Romero universe too so you could also ask why his characters call them zombies.
    I think we have a winner here.
  • User Avatar Image
    shammack Telltale Staff
    Etymology of zombie:
    1871, of W. African origin (cf. Kikongo zumbi "fetish;" Kimbundu nzambi "god"), originally the name of a snake god, later with meaning "reanimated corpse" in voodoo cult. But perhaps also from Louisiana creole word meaning "phantom, ghost," from Sp. sombra "shade, ghost." Sense "slow-witted person" is recorded from 1936.
    Who knows how widespread the term would be if it hadn't been popularized in zombie movies, but it certainly existed before they did.

    I personally find the "walker" business irritating and I'm sad that it made it into the games at all. It would have been nice if that had just been a quirk of Rick's group in particular, rather than two separate groups coincidentally deciding to make up the same new term even though a perfectly good one already exists. Ah well.
This discussion has been closed.