User Avatar Image

please don't screw this up

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 3.2K users
Sam and Max: Hit the Road was one of my favourite games of my childhood. I simply loved it to death. It was funny, looked great for its time and felt high-budget.

I really like the fact that you picked up the Sam and Max rights and from what I've seen the game looks pretty ok. I don't really like Max's voice, but I'll get used to it.

What I'm worried about is that the game will be too easy and too short, even with all 6 episodes together. I checked out the Bone demo a while ago and wasn't very impressed. The game according to other people is extremely short and I think the environments looked kinda flat and it just didn't scream quality. (No offense).. Sam and Max looks a lot better from what I've seen from the screenshots, but I'm worried it won't stay true to the original. I know lucasarts has a lot more money, but you should know that standard for Sam and Max is high. If it's done wrong it's like your cat gets killed or something. Since you're a new company, you have to build up some trust. The best way for your company to gain trust is to really focus on the quality of Sam and Max. People want to be like "Wow, Sam and Max is back!" instead of "Meh, I want my old Sam and Max back!".. I tell you.. If they think the first, they'll tell friends and I bet your company will get a really positive result. I think you already know all this and really try to give us the best experience. I'm just a bit worried.

Having said that. I can't wait until the whole first season comes out. I'm not gonna download each episode, cause the short time will ruin my experience. If it's true that each episode takes about 2-3 hours to finish and not like 40 minutes, I think the 12-18 hours for the whole season for about $50 sounds about right.. I wish you all luck and please make sure we can be proud to be Sam and Max fans again!!
80 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Woah. How many threads like this have I seen on the net? Having to reply to them all is gettin' kind of boring. Anyway, don't worry! For one thing, this project has the help of Steve Purcell, he who brought Sam and Max to life. Also, these guys were working on the game which Lucasarts cancelled, and although the first Bone episode was a little on the 'meh' side, the next was a huge improvement and it can only get better from there! Also, length. Remember quality, not quantity. That's what they're going for. And besides, this is season 1 which suggests there'll be a season 2 and more!

Most of us here love Sam and Max just as much as you and we've been giving our (probably annoying and not needed) advice to Telltale long before they even annouced they had the license.

In short, don't panic. It's in good hands. :)
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    When I think about it...

The first game wasn't very long either. If you know what you're doing you can finish it in 1-2 hours. I guess it's alright then..

And we can only hope for more seasons to come.. Would be awesome to have like a whole Sam and Max season 1-5 bundle in the end..

I didn't know Steve Purcell helps with the game, so that's great news for me.. Lets hope for something as great as hit the road..
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    I agree. If they screw this up, well...then I'll wait for the next Sam & Max installment, by perhaps another company. However, if Telltale can't pull this off, with the amount of ex-Lucasarts employees working there, as well as looking at some of the staff's professional backgrounds - I simply can't think of anyone else who might be able to do it.
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    The cool thing is, if they screw up the first episode, they'll hear about it right away :))
  • They'll hear about it whether they screw it up or not before they have a chance to screw it up or not.
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    No pressure, guys. ;)
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    If I was at Telltale, I think I'd probably puke from pressure right now...if I read the forums...which I doubt many of them do. In fact, if I worked at Telltale, I'd keep well away from the forums.

There's a post somewhere amongst these forums about the SILENT MAJORITY - that is, the people who are absolutely content with what's being being created, but for some reason, only the jerks speak up.

I haven't even played the game and I've still formed impressions of it in my mind. I guess I just can't get my brain around how Sam & Max could be implemented in 3D AT ALL. I guess if the story's tight, it doesn't really matter what the graphics look like. Of course, the graphics are good at the moment, but a compelling story is the golden thread that ties the whole thing together...that, or immersive characters. Ever watch napoleon Dynamite? I love that movie. The story SUCKS, but the whole thing's character driven. Superb.
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    There's a post somewhere amongst these forums about the SILENT MAJORITY - that is, the people who are absolutely content with what's being being created, but for some reason, only the jerks speak up.
    I am absolutely content with what's being being created. :)
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    Ever watch napoleon Dynamite? I love that movie. The story SUCKS, but the whole thing's character driven. Superb.
    Personally, I hated the Napolean Dynamite characters. A better example is the Big Lebowski. Absolutely hilarious and completely character driven. That's a movie that literally requires repeat viewings, as you'll miss half the jokes the first or second time through.
  • You know, we were planning to screw the game up in a major way, but since you came over and asked nicely, we won't. ;)

Seriously, everyone at Telltale has been working very hard to be true to the Sam & Max license and make a game that's fun to play. I don't think you'll be disappointed. And if you are... well, it won't be for lack of effort on Telltale's part.

I agree with the post above that there is no company better qualified to make this game... and apparently Steve agreed too, or he wouldn't have gone with Telltale in the first place. :D
Add Comment