Telltale Autumn Sale

Collector's DVD

edited June 2013 in The Walking Dead
I was wondering if telltale will release a collector's DVD of the walking dead like they have with other games?

Comments

  • dx1dx1
    edited November 2012
    Me too. And to see the soundtrack in the store would be nice.
  • edited December 2012
    Saw that game stop has one where u get the big comic book with it, but nothing else. I want the delux love telltale gives :)
  • edited February 2013
    Who knows. I sure hope so, but I'm guessing no, unfortunately.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited February 2013
    The last official post from a Telltale staff member was that they had no plans for a disk release for season subscribers on their website. And with the season long over now, it would seem that the Gamestop release is the only special edition bundle that will be available.
  • edited February 2013
    Bump

    I've been a dutiful TTG supporter since before the breakout success of TWD and preordered TWD knowing full well Telltale wouldn't let us down. I too am hoping to get a Collectors DVD to put up on my shelf. Any official word from telltale on the matter?

    Thank you
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Here's the quote in question from a Telltale staff member (at the time) that stated there's no plans for a collector's DVD from Telltale's store:
    Mike wrote: »
    sebarnolds wrote: »
    Also, with the release date approaching, any news about the DVD release ?

    I must admit it was a big incentive for buying games directly from the TTG store.
    Sorry, but there's no plans for a DVD release at the moment.
  • edited February 2013
    Didn't someone from Telltale mention plans to release an official soundtrack? Cause I'd buy that in a second, youtubing around for some scores doesn't cut it and would be sweet to add to my TWD collection.
  • edited February 2013
    I guess I understand with the success of TWD, they don't want to be producing $5 shipping cost only DVDs. Still, one of the few reasons I pre-order from the TTG store is to get a shiny copy I can proudly display on my shelf. Knowing that successful games probably won't get those in the future is enough to send me to Steam. I know that costs TTG a cut, but at least I have it in a unified gaming system.

    There is no way I'm going to shell out $70 for the Gamestop Collector's Edition, especially since I already spent $25 to preorder the whole season.

    I understand it's a business decision, but I have to say I expected more from TTG based on how they've treated their fans in the past. The risk of sending more people to Steam or other online stores in lieu of TTGs website will cost you guys a percentage cut on every sale. Loyalty to your fans will take you just as far as having a great 1st season of a new episodic series, I promise you.
  • edited February 2013
    Wow, I hope Telltale changes their mind and continues to produce PC DVD's of full seasons for people who buy the game directly from them. To be honest it's the only reason I bought TWD from them, otherwise I would have just waited and bought it at a huge discount through some third party site. Common Telltale how about a DVD release? Every game I've bought from you I've also gotten the DVD and I highly prefer the physical media.

    James
  • edited February 2013
    I think Telltale's license may have had something to do with this. From what I understand, they were only allowed to produce the game itself, not any merchandise.
  • Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited February 2013
    I think Telltale's license may have had something to do with this. From what I understand, they were only allowed to produce the game itself, not any merchandise.

    That's interesting if true. I figured Jurassic Park had no (Collector's) DVD because of the poor response to the game, and Law and Order had no DVD because it was an iOS game that was simply ported to PC, but I couldn't reason out any idea why Walking Dead would have not got a Collector's DVD.
  • edited February 2013
    Same here.

    I am a bit disappointed that there is no disc for this one. Also, there was no special holidays sale last year (nor the year before I think). Also, I don't really like their in-game download system for the episodes (not practical and also, it didn't worked for episode 4).

    Too bad they don't care that much about their long time supporters / customers that helped them become what they are now.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited February 2013
    That's interesting if true. I figured Jurassic Park had no (Collector's) DVD because of the poor response to the game, and Law and Order had no DVD because it was an iOS game that was simply ported to PC, but I couldn't reason out any idea why Walking Dead would have not got a Collector's DVD.
    Jurassic Park did have a collector's DVD, in fact it was the last one Telltale ever offered from their store. They only offered it in a deluxe version instead of a standard version with free shipping like usual, so it was a sign that Telltale's usual practices were changing.

    From Law & Order legacies onward there haven't been any mention of a collector's DVD when you pre-order the season. I'd say that the days of the collector's DVD from Telltale's site are over, but it's only been two seasons so far without a collector's disk release (not counting Puzzle Agent, Hector, and their poker games, as those were all experimental releases). We'll have to wait and see how it goes with Fables and their other future games.
  • RakRak
    edited March 2013
    Jennifer wrote: »
    Here's the quote in question from a Telltale staff member (at the time) that stated there's no plans for a collector's DVD from Telltale's store:
    This is tragic, I'm checking the site every week hoping for a DVD order offer... Another one mentioned TTG migrating to Steam, dear god I hope not, I refuse to buy games through steam, and intentionally avoid buying games in stores if they require steam, I don't want Valve to have control of MY purchases.

    Dear Telltale, I think the majority of us expected that a PC DVD release and a great offer would be available to us buying from the site, please do not disappoint us...

    I'm hoping but I don't think it will happen anymore :(
  • mramra
    edited March 2013
    I am also still waiting for the boxed version. I have bought each and every Telltale game since Bone (usually buying within the first 24 hours after the digital release). And I, of course, ordered a boxed copy of every one of them, including any available deluxe version or extras (although getting them sent to Germany isn't just 5 bucks).

    Now they all are resting on my games shelf and are waiting for their youngest sibling to join them ... I wouldn't mind buying a deluxe edition, either ...

    ~MRA
  • edited March 2013
    I'm waiting to buy and play the game until a deluxe pack come along.
  • edited March 2013
    Then you'll be missing out on an awesome game.
  • OMAOMA
    edited April 2013
    That's interesting if true. I figured Jurassic Park had no (Collector's) DVD because of the poor response to the game,

    Jurassic Park actually had a collector's box:
    http://jurassicpark.wikia.com/wiki/Jurassic_Park:_The_Game_Deluxe_Edition_set

    It wasn't free (it costed a little bit extra over the season's price), but it was worth it. Back to the Future had a nice collector's box, too. TWD is the first game (along with Law & Order) that doesn't have any physical edition at the end of the season.

    I wouldn't mind paying extra for the DVD version of TWD if Telltale feels sending physical editions for free is not profitable anymore.
  • edited April 2013
    One little question. Is the Back to the Future DVD DRM-free?
  • ProfanityProfanity Banned
    edited April 2013
    nomecopies wrote: »
    One little question. Is the Back to the Future DVD DRM-free?

    Doubt it, none of Telltale games are DRM-Free, are they? Why would that change for the DVD.
  • edited April 2013
    Profanity wrote: »
    Doubt it, none of Telltale games are DRM-Free, are they? Why would that change for the DVD.

    The majority all are DRM free as far as I know. I've got Tales of Monkey Island, Sam & Max seasons 1, 2 & 3, and Back to the Future. None of them require a third-party program to run (like Steam), or Internet activation.
  • ProfanityProfanity Banned
    edited April 2013
    The majority all are DRM free as far as I know. I've got Tales of Monkey Island, Sam & Max seasons 1, 2 & 3, and Back to the Future. None of them require a third-party program to run (like Steam), or Internet activation.

    Huh? All of them open with a Telltale launcher and ask you to login with your account. That's DRM.

    At least that's how they open for me ._.
  • edited April 2013
    Profanity wrote: »
    Huh? All of them open with a Telltale launcher and ask you to login with your account. That's DRM.

    At least that's how they open for me ._.

    Not the DVD versions, they run independently.

    Kinda a relief to hear you say all the downloadable versions have a sign-in process, The Walking Dead was my first digital purchase with TellTale so I wasn't sure if the DRM was new or the digital versions always had it. That means hopefully the upcoming DVD version will be DRM-free as per usual.
  • edited April 2013
    Profanity wrote: »
    Huh? All of them open with a Telltale launcher and ask you to login with your account. That's DRM.

    At least that's how they open for me ._.

    When using the DVD for any of Telltale's games, the most it would ever do is a disc check. With Monkey Island and Back to the Future (can't comment on JP as I don't own it digitally or disc) no disc was required at all. Mind you, this is the Telltale collector discs that you can ONLY get from them, and the only exception to the DRM was sadly Wallace and Gromit. It did have DRM no matter how you played it, and in fact the retail version didn't.
  • edited April 2013
    Not the DVD versions, they run independently.

    Kinda a relief to hear you say all the downloadable versions have a sign-in process, The Walking Dead was my first digital purchase with TellTale so I wasn't sure if the DRM was new or the digital versions always had it. That means hopefully the upcoming DVD version will be DRM-free as per usual.

    With every other Telltale DVD they've produced, the collector's disc was announced well BEFORE the end of the series and in most cases before it was even started. The odds of a disc coming from Telltalle directly for TWD are so astronomically against it at this point, it's not funny.
  • edited June 2013
    What irks me is their reluctance to take an official stance on the matter, like "We'd like to, but we have business agreements that prevent us from doing so." Telltale should at the very least acknowledge that it's an issue that they can't elaborate on.
  • OMAOMA
    edited June 2013
    Completely agree. An official explanation would be the least they could do.
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Actually, they never implied/mentioned/announced that a Collector DVD would be released, so I don't really see why an official explanation would be needed.
    I would understand the need for an explanation if Telltale didn't release a disc after saying they would, but that is not the case here.
    The most "official" explanation you're likely to get will be from Telltale employees, through the forums (Jennifer's quote in post #8 is a good example).
  • edited June 2013
    Macfly77 wrote: »
    Actually, they never implied/mentioned/announced that a Collector DVD would be released, so I don't really see why an official explanation would be needed.

    It's an about-face to what they've traditionally done since their first adventure game was released; it was a signature of the Telltale brand, and I think such a change deserves an explanation, or at least an acknowledgement.
  • OMAOMA
    edited July 2013
    xbskid wrote: »
    It's an about-face to what they've traditionally done since their first adventure game was released; it was a signature of the Telltale brand, and I think such a change deserves an explanation, or at least an acknowledgement.

    Agreed. Even though Telltale never said anything about releasing a Walking Dead end of season DVD, since they've been doing it for the last 7 years for all their major games (except maybe Puzzle Agent), it would be nice to get an explanation about why they've stopped doing it.
  • The lack of DVD is a reason I haven't bought Walking Dead. Or rather, the DRM-free DVDs were the only reason I could justify buying Telltale's horribly DRM'd downloads.

    I normally have a strict no-DRM rule which I used to 'bend' for Telltale games because I would get the DRM-free DVD later on. I even preordered Tales of Monkey Island, Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse and Back to the Future.

    Since they never announced a DVD for TWD, I never bought it. So yes, well done there Telltale. I'll get TWD when you release it on GOG, I know it'll be DRM-free if I buy it there.
  • OMAOMA
    edited July 2013
    The lack of DVD is a reason I haven't bought Walking Dead. Or rather, the DRM-free DVDs were the only reason I could justify buying Telltale's horribly DRM'd downloads.
    Well, to be fair, their DVDs also included disc-based DRM (except for their deluxe editions of Jurassic Park and Back to the Future).
    I'll get TWD when you release it on GOG, I know it'll be DRM-free if I buy it there.
    Their games are the most expensive there, and not all their games end up in GOG.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited July 2013
    OMA wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, their DVDs also included disc-based DRM (except for their deluxe editions of Jurassic Park and Back to the Future).

    Telltale's ToMI and TDP collector's discs were also DRM free.
  • Season Two gets announced, pre-orders get access to the a Collector's DVD officially confirmed. So now I'm doing a bit of a double take. Why will there be a Collector's DVD for Season Two, but not one for Season One? A lot of guesses were tossed around regarding licensing issues or the end of the CD altogether for future TTGs, and now we find out that clearly neither of those is on the table.

    Would love to get a sense from TTG's why there is no Collector's DVD for Season One of TWD. I'm left debating whether I just want to purchase via Steam or not, since it'll be weird have the Season Two box all alone which begs the question. I just want to put it on the shelf so the rest of the TTG boxes I own aren't all like "Hey, why didn't you buy TWD? Didn't you hear it was great? Wait you bought Season Two but not Season One" etc. Yes, my collector's disc boxes are kind of bossy and speak fluent English.

    Anyway, at this point I don't expect the DVD to be released or offered, but if we could hear an official explanation as to why that would be cool from a PR and fanbase respect standpoint.

  • Yea. Same here. I want to preorder but I have no desire to from Telltale now. It's just weird to not do one for the first and then do one for the second. That said I'll probably just preorder on Steam as a result.

    elwoodjd posted: »

    Season Two gets announced, pre-orders get access to the a Collector's DVD officially confirmed. So now I'm doing a bit of a double

  • DjuDju
    edited October 2013

    I've browsed the forums a bit and this thread pretty much contains all the question I've asked myself, unfortunately no answers yet :-(
    I personally purchased TWD Season 1 via the Humble Bundle so I've got it on Steam, but would preferably buy it from Telltale if possible.

    • Is there any chance of a Collector's DVD for TWD Season 1?
    • If I purchase TWD Season 2 from Telltale for the collector DVD will I be able to import my season 1 saves from Steam?
    • Any chance a TWD Season 2 purchase made from Telltale would include Steam keys (would be unexpected but it doesn't hurt to ask :-))?

    Edit: Further browsing seems to indicate that the answer to the third question is a definite no :-)

  • You want a Steam key from pre-ordering it here? Hope for launch day technical difficulties.

    Dju posted: »

    I've browsed the forums a bit and this thread pretty much contains all the question I've asked myself, unfortunately no answers yet

  • Well, that's rather cynical but very possibly true :-) Thanks for the laugh !

    Gibbeynator posted: »

    You want a Steam key from pre-ordering it here? Hope for launch day technical difficulties.

  • DjuDju
    edited December 2013

    I could swear this was not there a few days ago, found the same on Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Walking-Dead-Game-Year-DVD/dp/B00FYBD8NQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1383231578&sr=1-2&keywords=walking+dead

    It seems the DVD cover is quite similar to the one on this website's image for the Collector DVD, so now I'm confused :-)

    Why would Telltale release a retail version without offering it here?

    EDIT: For those of you stumbling on this topic I have since purchased the DVD linked above, it does not contain any extras and does require a Telltale account. Also I have since been proven wrong since they DO advertise this version here : http://www.telltalegames.com/walkingdead/season1/#buy

    lwgnlseven posted: »

    Something like this? Release date is November 19th. http://www.amazon.com/The-Walking-Dead-Game-Year-Pc/dp/B003BW0IGU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1383188935&sr=8-4&keywords=the+walking+dead+pc

This discussion has been closed.