Story writer's big mistake about infection

edited November 2012 in The Walking Dead
Ok, whoever is watching The Walking Dead series on season 5 knows that [ SPOILER ABOUT TV SHOW ] Hershel gets a big chomp out of his leg by a zombie ( yes, he bites it off with his big teeths ) inside the jail compound and after some time, Rick cuts it off like you can do it with Lee in the game when his arm gets bitten.


Now the big mistake the writers did and expected much of the players not to notice.

Hershel survives and do not turn. Lee survives but gets all the symptoms of turning, all the same that Duck had before turning as dying as well.

Well, Iam expecting good theories because I was really puzzled by this.
«1

Comments

  • edited November 2012
    If Lee cuts his arm off, he suffer from blood loss, but faints less.


    Did he slow it down or stop it? Explain!
  • edited November 2012
    They cut Hershel's leg off immediately. They waited a lot longer to cut off Lee's arm which gave the infection plenty of time to spread through his system.
  • edited November 2012
    with hershel they did it instantly. With lee it was after a wile so the infection was already spread in his body.

    Is my theory.
  • edited November 2012
    Yeah, I thought about that as well. But I guess that what they discovered with Hershel is a major found in the whole series.

    If they cut, bite, or scratch a part a member of your body, chomp it off right away and you have big chances of surviving. I mean, if an old man can survive it without blood transfusion, why not you ?
  • edited November 2012
    The infection spread across to his arm given the time. Lee traveled from the mansion to the morgue, while Hershel's leg was amputated in just under a few minutes.
  • edited November 2012
    I think Lee ended up dying from blood loss. He gets yellow eyes if you cut it off but if you don't they are white? Also he faints less if you cut it off.
  • edited November 2012
    Better question: why didn't Kenny and Christa suggest cutting off Lee hands if he revealed it? That certainly made more sense than waiting until he fainted the first time.
  • edited November 2012
    Kannibal wrote: »
    Ok, whoever is watching The Walking Dead series on season 5 knows that [ SPOILER ABOUT TV SHOW ] Hershel gets a big chomp out of his leg by a zombie ( yes, he bites it off with his big teeths ) inside the jail compound and after some time, Rick cuts it off like you can do it with Lee in the game when his arm gets bitten.


    Now the big mistake the writers did and expected much of the players not to notice.

    Hershel survives and do not turn. Lee survives but gets all the symptoms of turning, all the same that Duck had before turning as dying as well.

    Well, Iam expecting good theories because I was really puzzled by this.

    Hershel survived coz he was amputated straight away, too much time had already passed for Lee
  • edited November 2012
    Doctanian wrote: »
    Better question: why didn't Kenny and Christa suggest cutting off Lee hands if he revealed it? That certainly made more sense than waiting until he fainted the first time.

    They were in a hospital when they decided to cut off Lee's arm. They had medical supplies there, but not at the house.
  • edited November 2012
    Kitmit13 wrote: »
    I think Lee ended up dying from blood loss. He gets yellow eyes if you cut it off but if you don't they are white? Also he faints less if you cut it off.

    You are wrong, I didn't cut it off his arm and his eyes were yellow, and his face was horrible just like Duck.
    He was turning, with or without arm.
  • edited November 2012
    It's a time thing. Lee already had light sensitivity and mental impairment by the time they got to the morgue. Too much time already passed and the 'infection' spread when they got there.

    Also, in my playthrough, Lee passed out before they cut his arm off. You don't have a healthy, middle aged man pass out from a bite unless the bite also did something to him.

    So yeah, it wasn't he blood loss that did in armless Lee.
  • edited November 2012
    Lee waited too long, and herschel was cutoff immedietly
  • edited November 2012
    Hershel's leg came off immediately. By the time Lee had the option, the virus had already spread into his body. The only thing cutting off the arm was good for was slowing down the process, ever so slightly.
  • edited November 2012
    How come they couldn't find a cleaver in the house to cut his arm off with?
  • edited November 2012
    They cut Hershel's leg off immediately. They waited a lot longer to cut off Lee's arm which gave the infection plenty of time to spread through his system.

    This, it was the same with Dale in the comics. If you don't do it immediately the infection will spread. Lee waited too long, but I can assume the blood that dripped out of his body when his arm was cut off drained some of the infection, but not nearly all of it to completely put an end to it.
  • edited November 2012
    Hidan13 wrote: »
    This, it was the same with Dale in the comics. If you don't do it immediately the infection will spread. Lee waited too long, but I can assume the blood that dripped out of his body when his arm was cut off drained some of the infection, but not nearly all of it to completely put an end to it.


    Exactly what I am trying to impress in another thread...... Lee survives.
  • edited November 2012
    Exactly what I am trying to impress in another thread...... Lee survives.

    This contradicts your point? He/She is saying that it was too late for Lee
  • edited November 2012
    Tyrant wrote: »
    How come they couldn't find a cleaver in the house to cut his arm off with?

    They never thought of it till he passes out. Also there were no supplies at that house remember? Lee and Molly found nothing when searching.
  • edited November 2012
    This only happens in the TV show. To try and avoid spoilers, a similar situation happens in the comics but the outcome is not survival. Given that the designers always said that they are following the comic universe, I think it makes sense that Lee couldn't survive.
  • edited November 2012
    I think it's kinda silly how everyone automatically assumes it worked in the TV show because Hershel is still alive right now. We're five episodes into a 16 episode season, folks and if there is anything you should've learned from that show by now it is that you should NEVER assume someone is safe.

    **POTENTIAL MAJOR TV SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT READ THE COMICS**
    Something very similar happened in the comic series and it did seem to slow the turning down a little bit but the character did eventually turn and have to be put down. I'm pretty sure Hershel's character will follow the same arc in the TV series. He's gonna survive for a bit but eventually the infection will get the better of him.
  • edited November 2012
    I forgot about that. Hershel did eventually die.
  • edited November 2012
    Lee had ALREADY PASSED OUT before they even had the idea to cut his arm off.
    Come on, it was obvious the poison had already spread throughout his body.

    I knew cutting his arm off wouldn't matter then so I didn't even bother.
    For it to have any chance of working he would have had to do it instantly after the bite.
  • edited November 2012
    Kannibal wrote: »
    ...or scratch a part a member of your body, chomp it off right away...

    Eating your self, an effective cure against the zombie infection.
  • edited November 2012
    DanJ555 wrote: »
    Eating your self, an effective cure against the zombie infection.

    I guess chewing your infected limb off would not really help to stop the spread.
  • edited November 2012
    Blood passes through your system extremely fast, about 1500 full circulations per day. Unless they chopped off the arm within 10 seconds or so, it would have already spread from the wrist, up the arm, and into the rest of the body.
  • edited November 2012
    I think it's kinda silly how everyone automatically assumes it worked in the TV show because Hershel is still alive right now. We're five episodes into a 16 episode season, folks and if there is anything you should've learned from that show by now it is that you should NEVER assume someone is safe.

    **POTENTIAL MAJOR TV SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT READ THE COMICS**
    Something very similar happened in the comic series and it did seem to slow the turning down a little bit but the character did eventually turn and have to be put down. I'm pretty sure Hershel's character will follow the same arc in the TV series. He's gonna survive for a bit but eventually the infection will get the better of him.

    You and another poster seem to only remember parts of the comic. Hershel is more likely to follow the path of Comic Dale (and a handful of others), who survives his amputation. It's all about speed of response.
  • edited November 2012
    Rick cuts hershel's leg off almost straight away. Lee has his bite a while before they even consider cutting his arm off, so it's likely the infection has already spread.
  • edited November 2012
    It was too late...
  • edited November 2012
    The bite spreads AN infection, not the zombie virus. The zombie virus has already infected you.

    Other things that spread infection: Stepping on a rusty nail. Drinking sewer water. Cutting your arm crawling over barbed wire. All of these things could possibly turn you into a zombie.

    However the human mouth is really, really disgusting and getting bitten by a living, breathing human is not something you want to happen to you, let alone one who has been rotting for several days.
  • edited November 2012
    And adding to everything people are saying here, Lee was already feeling the effects of the bite. They consider cutting his arm off because he had fallen unconscious due to the infection, which makes it obvious it was already too late for amputation to work.
  • edited November 2012
    Please don't use the tv series as an example. The tv series does shit that literally makes no sense at all. Like in the comics when they amputated
    dale
    they sterilized the axe beforehand. In the tv series they're cutting zombies up with said axe and then use that filthy axe to cut hershels leg off lol. When they used dirty tools to amputate in the comics
    (Allen)
    the person died anyway due to infection and blood loss even though it was amputated right away.
  • edited November 2012
    Viser wrote: »
    And adding to everything people are saying here, Lee was already feeling the effects of the bite. They consider cutting his arm off because he had fallen unconscious due to the infection, which makes it obvious it was already too late for amputation to work.

    Yep. My thoughts exactly. I still had em chop if off, only to see whether they'd actually do it.
  • edited November 2012
    Do you think that cut parts of the body is just like cutting nails?

    Seriously?

    lol.
  • edited November 2012
    It was way too late to cut the arm. If you're passing out because rotted gunk has spread through your system and infected your body, cutting off a limb won't change anything. It's been handled the same way in the comic. Cut it off immediately or accept that you're going to die.

    Despite that, I cut off the arm anyway. I was in denial.
  • edited November 2012
    Despite that, I cut off the arm anyway. I was in denial.

    Me too. I thought the writing was a little sloppy on this. I mean imagine someone wants to cut off your arm. Do you just go, yeah, what the hell, might be my last chance?

    Also that he got up afterwards like nothing really happened ... Like a lizard dropping its tail without a second thought.
  • edited November 2012
    bl4ckrider wrote: »
    Me too. I thought the writing was a little sloppy on this. I mean imagine someone wants to cut off your arm. Do you just go, yeah, what the hell, might be my last chance?

    Also that he got up afterwards like nothing really happened ... Like a lizard dropping its tail without a second thought.

    lee did react you see his face he even said he could still feel his arm.
  • edited November 2012
    bl4ckrider wrote: »
    Me too. I thought the writing was a little sloppy on this. I mean imagine someone wants to cut off your arm. Do you just go, yeah, what the hell, might be my last chance?

    Also that he got up afterwards like nothing really happened ... Like a lizard dropping its tail without a second thought.

    Let's just say...my Lee wasn't that composed.
  • edited November 2012
    You're suppose to hack it off STAT.
  • edited November 2012
    They cut Hershel's leg off immediately. They waited a lot longer to cut off Lee's arm which gave the infection plenty of time to spread through his system.

    This, the infection had spread through-out Lee's body by the time it went chop.
  • edited November 2012
    The TV show and game arnt related anyhow.
    The game is set in the comic's universe. People need to stop comparing the two. It gets VERY annoying.
This discussion has been closed.