User Avatar Image

First screenshots & new interview

posted by jp-30 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users
Interview at Quandry
Excerpt;
Rosemary: So can you tell us a bit about the puzzles and gameplay?

Dan: First, we have made the solemn adventure game vow that the puzzles need to make sense in the context of the story. Second, we are focused on improving our dialog system to make it more flexible and varied than what people are used to. Third, we are working on ways for the player to solve puzzles in a more active way.

Rosemary: Can you explain further what you mean by 'a more active way'?

Dan:We want our game worlds to really come alive for the players. That means that the world continues to move around them and doesn't just wait for players to interact with it. Ideally, we would like our puzzles to not only make sense within the context of the game world, but also within the pacing of the story.

Rosemary: Including younger players usually signals an arcade teaser or a mini game and this can mean frustration for some mature players. So we should expect such episodes in Bone? I managed Whack-A-Rat, so will I cope?

Dan: Action elements in the game will be mouse driven and will require more brain power then dexterity. If you managed your way through Whack-A-Rat you will be fine.

Rosemary: Going briefly back to LucasArts, I'm thinking Grim Fandango and Escape from Monkey Island. Both keyboard controlled, presumably designed with the console market in mind. What about Bone? And after the experience of the above two games, how do you feel about keyboard controlled adventure games?

Dan: Bone will be Point and Click and if we go to console we will adapt to the console controller. As for keyboard controlled adventure games I don't think it is much fun to drive a character that is walking. Some people feel like it adds to the immersion, but to me it just makes it harder to get where you want to go.
22 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Hey, notice how the tree looks like a face? ;)

Anyway, I don't know if this was posted, but this is a zoomed out version (also on the Quandaryland page) of that first "screenshot" we were given.

from here...
  • This is really exciting.
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    I'm getting more and more excited about this game.
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    finally some INFO [=D>] ... really exciting... looks promising...
    he said that the game will be more dynamic then other advetures, and that the world wont wait for the chars to solve the puzzle... i wonder how they'll do that... also he said that dialog system will be more complex than what we are used to, sounds interesting..
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    I wonder how long it would be until a release date is announced.
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    Good to see someone using terrific, unlogical innovation,( I know, I don't think I even know what I'm trying to say).
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    Yay, Telltale!

Sounds good. Rich conversation, living world, less than insane object puzzles, ehr...I mean clever thinking exercises...

Bone is so fit to these guys and generally so fit to be adapted to an adventure game. Yay, Jeff Smith for realizing that!

No I want more screens. Come on, can't ya give us all three cousins? Hmmm? Please? Yes? Soon? Hmmm?
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    Point and click, no action thing going farther than whak-a-rat (i.e. not LSL magna cum load) and humour.

I ll be interested in the first previews/demos (please make them available to public not only journalists !) :P

I have a bit more faith in the game now.
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    I have a bit more faith in the game now.
    I'm kinda curious about where you lost it in the first place. I think it looks pretty (read very) promising.
  • yeah I must say at first I wasn't crazy on the idea of bone. Now it seems like this could be a good game. I will have to wait and see some more. how soon can we get a DEMO telltale?
Add Comment