User Avatar Image

Tropes vs. Women in Video Games

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 8K users
So, remember that whole brouhaha with that woman doing a Kickstarter to make a series looking at how women are portrayed in video games that got a lot of people behaving really, really badly?

Yeah, the first episode of her series went live yesterday: Damsel in Distress.

I watched it yesterday.

I had to fight not to fall asleep.

I get what she's doing, but she's doing it in a very dull manner. Her voice is very monotone, her script is full of "impressive" words, the cuts between takes is jarring and doesn't flow well at all, and what she's saying is stretched out far too much - she basically takes 20 minutes to say stuff that could easily be compressed into 5.

Also, and I freely admit this is a very silly thing to focus on, but those earrings are ridiculous. I can't take her even remotely seriously when those things are dangling around. Ugh.

Wondered what you guys thought of it.
247 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Darth Marsden;776784 said:
    Honestly though, I'm not yet seeing where the money's really gone.

EDIT: Oh wait - here it is.

I assume that stack of Wii games she's leaning on indicates there's even more behind the XBox ones.
    Money well spent. :rolleyes:
    Sounds to me like a scam.

She most likely bought all these games (and probably at full retail price) rather than renting them. Plus, many of these games are not necessary in finding material to be used in this video series. Also, she likely bought a VERY fancy video camera and Adobe Photoshop/After Effects, when I'm sure there are plenty of good lower priced products (Corel Paint Shop Pro X5 is only $70, and GIMP is free. Windows Movie Maker is also free.)

As has been said, many people have made much better videos which are more interesting and informative than this, for a lot less money. Why people paid her to make Youtube videos is beyond me.
  • Shit, I wish I could use a Kickstarter to get games. If anything, regardless of intent, she's a genius.
  • No, people are just gullible.
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator
    Darth Marsden;776934 said:
    If you don't have sound, then there's no point in watching the video. It's almost entirely audio-based.
    Yet completely subtitled.
    Darth Marsden;776784 said:

Awwww... look at that genuinely happy expression. Then again, who wouldn't be with such a pile. :D
  • Vainamoinen;776973 said:
    Yet completely subtitled.
    *facepalm* I ALWAYS forget that.

Actually, looking at those games, I see several that have absolutely NOTHING to do with what she's talking about. Beautiful Katamari? Fairytale Fights? Gunstringer? Kinect Adventures? Skate 3? Twisted Metal? Virtua Tennis 4?

What the hell do any of those have to do with how women are portrayed in video games?
  • Darth Marsden;777085 said:
    *facepalm* I ALWAYS forget that.

Actually, looking at those games, I see several that have absolutely NOTHING to do with what she's talking about. Beautiful Katamari? Fairytale Fights? Gunstringer? Kinect Adventures? Skate 3? Twisted Metal? Virtua Tennis 4?

What the hell do any of those have to do with how women are portrayed in video games?
    I personally think she just showcases her private collection.
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator
    der_ketzer;777116 said:
    What?! Noooooooooo. No one in her right mind buys Diablo III without being forced to.

BTW, research: http://tropesversuswomen.tumblr.com/

Like it or not, she knows her shit.
  • der_ketzer;777116 said:
    And I'm still unimpressed! XP
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator
    From feministfrequency:
    So far we’ve purchased well over 300 games for this project. As of now we can play games from the following systems: SNES, Gamecube, Wii, PS2, PS3, PS Vita, Xbox, Xbox 360, iPad and PC/MAC. We are also looking to acquire a 3DS XL when it becomes available next month. Note that not all of the games being researched for this project are pictured above. All the digital games downloaded via Steam, PSN and XBLM are sadly not nearly as photogenic, but rest assured we are looking at classic titles from throughout the history of gaming.
    Sounds like a fun project of hers. ;)
  • Disclaimer: I didn't watch the video. But I thought it was interesting that today, CNET posted an article about someone hacking Donkey Kong so Mario is the one who has to be saved.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57573628-1/dad-hacks-donkey-kong-so-daughter-can-save-mario/
Add Comment