User Avatar Image

Walking Dead: Game ruining bug (Choices not carrying over, Episode 4 -> Episode 5)

posted by JonathanAllenRay on - last edited - Viewed by 43.5K users
Hello, I've recently been enjoying The Walking Dead game and I just finished the fourth episode. However, there's a major problem. When I complete episode 4, it shows me that Kenny, Omid, and Christina will come with me. Everything is going as planned. It even shows me those three in the final stat screen. When I start episode 5, on the "previously" video, it shows everything correctly except when it shows Kenny choosing to come with you or not, he says "Why the hell you looking over here?" and has a red eye and cut on his face. When the episode starts, he's gone. Only Christina and Omid are with me. I've been on his good side the whole time, didn't fight him on the train, and additionally the game outright said he's coming with me. This is clearly a bug and I seriously need a fix. I'm playing the full version with all five parts bundled as one on Steam. I've verified my cache, but I haven't re-installed. I've also tried rewinding back to the latest point and choosing a few different dialogue choices. Still bugged. I tried rewinding back to the point just before, where you're talking to Vernon. Still bugged. I'm gravely upset about this and I would like to finish the series properly. It wouldn't be right to lose Kenny to a glitch that shouldn't happen. Thanks for helping in advance, and please no spoilers for episode 5.

Here's a picture proving the game said Kenny was coming.

http://imgur.com/BcGsbkg
133 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

In reply to jrellama

Same issue on my PC: link

@jrellama

Please rename the prefs.prop in
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\
    to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it.

Then move the prefs.prop from
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\WalkingDead104
    to
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\

• In reply to DjNDB

@jrellama Please rename the prefs.prop in %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\ to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it. link

Thanks a lot all fixed!

will this solution work in almost all cases decisions dont carry over?

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

In reply to jrellama

Thanks a lot all fixed! will this solution work in almost all cases decisions dont carry over? link

This should work in most cases, if you haven't continued playing after the problem occurred. There are different situations though, which mainly differ in which prefs.prop you have to keep.

• Hi, I seem to be having a similar problem, except for me, no matter who I choose, I end up going alone. I have the stats of Chapter 4 fully available, but instead of giving me the option to replay the chapter, it tells me to 'continue' it. I'll try and upload a screenshot if I can, but for now here's the .zip file for the error report.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/if2flv

EDIT: Since I last tested, it's changed. I can't check my stats from Chapter 4, and when I go to 'rewind', I can only start from Chapter 5: Battery. I can't continue, it only gives me the option to play.

I'll go from Battery, and if I have more trouble, I'll let you guys know.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

In reply to Majin

Hi, I seem to be having a similar problem, except for me, no matter who I choose, I end up going alone. link

@Majin
    The better solution would have been to disable steam cloud for TWD (In Steam, right click TWD and select "properties". Open the tab "updates" and remove the checkbox from "Enable Steam cloud synchronization for TWD).

Then renaming the prefs.prop in
    C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

And then moving the prefs.prop from
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\WalkingDead104
    to
    C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

That should have given you a consistent savegame back. Now you might have inconsistent savegames instead, which is not ideal if you want your choices to be recognized in season 2.
    Continuing to play the game might have overwritten some of the .save files, so the procedure above might not work properly anymore. If you made a backup of the savegame folder before you continued playing, you can still try it with that though after restoring it.

There's another option. If you run the support tool once more I can compare the dates of the .save files with the previous run. If you're lucky they are still intact and the game only added new ones.

• I have the same problem and have tried the fix you have recommended here,

but there is no prefs.prop file in my common\the walking dead\pack\WalkingDead104 folder.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

In reply to nidpancho

I have the same problem and have tried the fix you have recommended here, but there is no prefs.prop file in my common\the walking dead\pack\WalkingDead104 folder. link

@nidpancho

Please follow the instructions to run the TWD Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWD_support_data_pc.zip" or "TWD_support_data_mac.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

• Hi, I'm having trouble with the last episode of Season 1, non of my choices from the previous episode have carried over. I tried re-doing episode 4 but that didn't fix the problem. Here is the support tool data file link http://www.sendspace.com/file/9sk1tp

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

In reply to Willmoar

Hi, I'm having trouble with the last episode of Season 1, non of my choices from the previous episode have carried over. I tried re-doing episode 4 but that didn't fix the problem. link

@Willmoar

Please rename the prefs.prop in
    C:\Users\Willmoar\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

Then move the prefs.prop from
    to
    C:\Users\Willmoar\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

• In reply to DjNDB

@Willmoar Please rename the prefs.prop in C:\Users\Willmoar\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it. link

Cheers mate, worked like a charm!

This discussion has been closed.