User Avatar Image

Walking Dead: Game ruining bug (Choices not carrying over, Episode 4 -> Episode 5)

posted by JonathanAllenRay on - last edited - Viewed by 47.2K users
Hello, I've recently been enjoying The Walking Dead game and I just finished the fourth episode. However, there's a major problem. When I complete episode 4, it shows me that Kenny, Omid, and Christina will come with me. Everything is going as planned. It even shows me those three in the final stat screen. When I start episode 5, on the "previously" video, it shows everything correctly except when it shows Kenny choosing to come with you or not, he says "Why the hell you looking over here?" and has a red eye and cut on his face. When the episode starts, he's gone. Only Christina and Omid are with me. I've been on his good side the whole time, didn't fight him on the train, and additionally the game outright said he's coming with me. This is clearly a bug and I seriously need a fix. I'm playing the full version with all five parts bundled as one on Steam. I've verified my cache, but I haven't re-installed. I've also tried rewinding back to the latest point and choosing a few different dialogue choices. Still bugged. I tried rewinding back to the point just before, where you're talking to Vernon. Still bugged. I'm gravely upset about this and I would like to finish the series properly. It wouldn't be right to lose Kenny to a glitch that shouldn't happen. Thanks for helping in advance, and please no spoilers for episode 5.

Here's a picture proving the game said Kenny was coming.

http://imgur.com/BcGsbkg
133 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • In reply to DjNDB

@popsbrahe Please rename the prefs.prop in C:\Users\Brahe1\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it. link

Thanks, it worked!

• Hi, save files not showing up either (Mac). I can't located the prefs.prop file from the 103 folder (last one I completed) so I'm stumped.
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/wjzhpo

• User Avatar Image
    TelltaleMike Telltale Staff

In reply to kolsh

Hi, save files not showing up either (Mac). I can't located the prefs.prop file from the 103 folder (last one I completed) so I'm stumped. http://www.sendspace.com/file/wjzhpo link

Please do a search on your computer for prefs.prop. You should only have one copy of this file in your save game directory. If you find another copy elsewhere, this needs to be removed. Usually this duplicate file can be found in either a Gamedata folder adjacent to your save directory, or in your installation folder. If you are playing on Steam, you will need to find the Walking Dead game data within your Steam installation folder. If you remove this prefs file, but still experience the issue, then it's possible the duplicate file is being recognized instead of the prefs in your save directory. Please take the duplicate file and move it into your save folder (which will overwrite the existing file). You may want to back-up both of these files before attempting this process, just in case.

Unfortunately, if this does not resolve your issue, then your prefs file has most likely been corrupted. This is rare, but can happen if the save is compromised (for example, if the game crashes during an autosave, or if the game is closed using Task Manager). If this is the case, then the corrupted prefs can no longer be used and should be removed from your computer to prevent any further complications.

• In reply to TelltaleMike

Please do a search on your computer for prefs.prop. You should only have one copy of this file in your save game directory. If you find another copy elsewhere, this needs to be removed. link

Thanks for the advice, but no, a search of my computer using Finder's Find function didn't bring up any other prefs.prop files other than the one in my SteamApps folder. I can see my save files in the folder, just not in game. Moving the prefs.prop out of the SteamApps folder makes the game make a new pref file which again can't see my save files. As I don't use Task Manager (it's a Mac) and the last time I played, the Chapter finished successfully, and I exited via the menu, I'm not sure how my pref file could have been corrupted during a save.

What else can we try?

• User Avatar Image

In reply to kolsh

Thanks for the advice, but no, a search of my computer using Finder's Find function didn't bring up any other prefs.prop files other than the one in my SteamApps folder. link

Please go to your ~Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/The Walking Dead folder. Your Library folder is sometimes hidden, to make it visible, please open a Finder window, and at the top of the screen, click Go and hold down the Option key. The Library will now become available in the drop down menu. Click that and follow the above file path. You should have one Prefs.prop file in there. This is the only one you should have for The Walking Dead: Season One. If you have any other prefs.prop files on your computer that you may have backed up, or thrown in the trash, please delete them or rename them to prefs.prop.bak to disable them. Then restart the game, and you should then be able to see your save files.

Please go to your ~Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/The Walking Dead folder. link

I had already taken these steps. Let me clarify:

There is one pref.prop file on my computer. It is located in the ~Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/The Walking Dead folder.

The last time I played the game, I completed Season 1 Episode 3, was taken back to the main menu, then exited, with no errors reported for crashes.

The next time I opened the game, the save files don't show up in my save file list, but I can see them in the folder.

For added information (not sure if it's relevant), I play on Mac OS 10.8.5, with Steam, with Steam Cloud backups enabled. One thing which I find strange is that even if I rename the only preferences file (in the location specified above), my settings for sound and graphics remain the same when a new prefs.prop file is created. Are there any other preference files for The Walking Dead saved on Mac other than the prefs.prop file? I'm reluctant to touch any other files without your advice, as the game seems to have enough bugs as it is without me personally creating more.

Thanks for your help.

• User Avatar Image

In reply to kolsh

I had already taken these steps. Let me clarify: There is one pref.prop file on my computer. It is located in the ~Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/The Walking Dead folder. link

If you still have any prefs.prop files in your .trash folder, you will need to fully delete them to make sure they are not being read by the game.

If you still have any prefs.prop files in your .trash folder, you will need to fully delete them to make sure they are not being read by the game. link

Please read what I have written. There are no prefs.prop files in my trash folder, or anywhere else on my computer, other than in the location specified.

• User Avatar Image

In reply to kolsh

Please read what I have written. There are no prefs.prop files in my trash folder, or anywhere else on my computer, other than in the location specified. link

I apologize for the confusion. If you only have one prefs.prop file on your computer and you are still experiencing this issue, please run the support tool again, and I should be able to figure out what is keeping you from playing the game successfully:

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/44150/twd-support-tool-for-information-gathering

After receiving the information from your support tool, I will be able to assist you further.

This discussion has been closed.