User Avatar Image

Awesome Idea: New Hitchikers Game!

posted by Pvt._Public on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users
Before we start let me make it known that yes, there is already a game of Hitchikers guide to the galaxy which i have finished and enjoyed alot.
Anyways, I was at the movie theater today and it turns out that after a good 20 years they seem to have finally made a movie of hitchikers guide to the galaxy. After doing my little dance of joy i came up with the thought: Telltale should make a hitchikers game! Imagine it, it could be based on either the books or the radio script and could have as many voices as possible from the TV and radio series and would freakin' rock!
After visiting the official movie website (clicky! ) I have grown a few doubts about the movie (stuff like how Zaphod only has the one head and two arms and how they seem to have made their own little story about Arthur and Trillian falling in love etc.) but i still think that Telltale could make an awesome game of it anyway.
36 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    Please, base it on the book or the TV series or the radio show, but not the movie! If the review I read was correct then the movie is going to be absolutley terrible. However I think it would be cool if they made a sequel to the original.
  • I have grown a few doubts about the movie (stuff like how Zaphod only has the one head and two arms and how they seem to have made their own little story about Arthur and Trillian falling in love etc.) but i still think that Telltale could make an awesome game of it anyway.
    Movie-version Zaphod does have two heads. The other is just hidden. It pops out at some point I think.
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    Please, base it on the book or the TV series or the radio show, but not the movie! If the review I read was correct then the movie is going to be absolutley terrible. However I think it would be cool if they made a sequel to the original.
    The Internet is way too excited (negatively) by that review from planetmagrathea.com. In the weeks leading up to its release, were the fan predictions made (in the forms of huge complaint-filled hatefests and laundry lists of omissions) by LOTR fans proclaiming the first film an utter travesty and failure true at all? Of course they werent. Granted, the lists of things they said were gone were in fact gone, but on the whole did they ruin the film? No. Maybe people should be taking principal piece of advice offered by the Hitchhikers Guide itself and don't panic.

At least until it comes out and blows or something. But then it's too late to panic, I guess. Score another for Jake!
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    Ahhh, hitchhikkers. It's a bit of a pitty we can't nickname it Hitch. I am really excited about the knew movie. I can understand why the Hollywood types would make a love interest between Arthur and Trillian. After all, she does end up having his child in one of the books. The only other Hitchhikkers book that had a love interest was "goodbye and thanks for the fish", which was beyond weird seeing as it was set back on earth. I know while I was reading the books i was spewing for a love interest. You can't expect them not to change a few things. It's no fun making a movie with no creative freedom.
  • The reason why the trailer etc. of the movie makes me vaguely angry is because they inserted all that stuff when it doesn't really need it. The story is meant to be about Arthur bumbling about the place trying to find a decent cup of tea and find some sort of remnant of earth. I can understand why they changed it (otherwise it doesn't make for very good or original movie viewing) but just why all the little things? Why have the whole Evil guy when it is meant to be a whole bunch of people who don't like Arthur (As far as i can tell the Bad guy is meant to be some sort of insane missionary so it makes sense to me at least that he's trying to get rid of arthur unless everyone find out the ultimate question). And their version of Marvin plain pisses me off. Too damn cutesy and on the screensaver it says he's worried that his depression makes others depressed. that my friends had better be some poor joke.
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    Ahh Marvin. That's one of the few roles in hollywood that go to the height impaired.

Anyway, I think that there is no need to complain about the movie. This is exactly what Douglas Adams would have wanted. He sold the rights for Hitchhikkers several times. At one point Disney owned the rights. You can't tell me you wanted Disney to make it, they would put it in to the AJAX brand craptacular movie making machine. It would be all American actors, and the story would be thrown out the window. Who knows, they might even try to put a moral into it. ( shudder)
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    Anyway, I think that there is no need to complain about the movie. This is exactly what Douglas Adams would have wanted.
    The thing to bear in mind is the Adams was writing this movie script when he died. It was completed by someone else but on the whole it is mostly how Adams wanted it to be. (at least script wise, god knows how that compares to the final version).

If anyone has seen the "book" versions of the trailers, you get a sense that it is capturing the broader feel for HH's. I'm looking forward to seeing it and I know that it won't be the same but like Lucas HH's has never been a static story for Adams. He was always tweaking it.
  • Good news all! The movie doesn't suck! it's (from my point of view) an above average movie with occasional moments of awesomeness. The vogon scenes rocked and there was even a glimspe of all the old guys from the TV show along with my favourite ever, old marvin! unfortunately you can't help but feel every now and then that douglas probably would have wanted to rewrite most of the scenes a further 20 times or so but, nonetheless it is still a pretty good movie. Oh, and Mos Def (or whatever) manages to be one of the worst actors I've ever seen (which is not a good thing at all because i tend to spend most of my time trying to find terrible movies) but seeing as he doesn't really do much after the first 15-20 mintues it doesn't really matter.
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    I wouldn't say that Mos Def is a bad actor. The part didn't strike me as brilliant. It wasn't really a laugh out loud film, but it had the Hitchhikkers spirit with it. There were plenty of funny moments. They really stuffed bits and pieces from the different books into it. There was a huge rewrite, but they almost completely avoided the last book, "So long and thanks for the fish", because of the love intrest other than Trillian in it,( Well except for the intro.)
Add Comment