User Avatar Image

Walking Dead-Could not initialize direct3d

posted by kwaddell on - last edited - Viewed by 42.7K users
I played through the first 5 episodes with no problem with a Radeon video card. I downloaded 400 days and the launcher gives me the error:
"Could not initalize Direct3D. Make sure you have current video drivers and close any other applications that might be running. You will need a video card that supports at least pixel shader version 1.2."

I installed a nvidia 660 in January and that's the only thing that I can think of that might be causing a problem. Someone please help.

Thanks
104 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    Please follow the instructions to run the Support Tool and attach the resulting "support_data_pc.zip" to your next reply in this thread.
  • I'm having the same issue. I downloaded the game. and started it up. the game ran fine. i played a few minutes of it good. and then i decided to mess with the settings and change the screen resolution because i didnt like the fact that it was playing on widescreen for me. and i was trying to make it full screen. i don't remember which one i picked. something like 1400x1600 or something just guessing. and now everytime i try to run the game i just get a white screen and a notice saying "Could not initalizeDirect3D. Make sure you have current video drivers and close any other applications that might be running. You will need a video card that suppoerts at least pixel shader version 1.2" I don't understand what this means. and all i can say is it was working FINE until i messed with the resolution. and now i can't fix it at all. I even tried deleting the whole thing and re downloading the whole game but i still get the blank white screen and the same notice. I'm kinda upset and bummed about this. Was hoping someone could help me figure this out. I did what you said to do on the top. and here's the zip file.
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    kwaddell;823372 said:
    Thanks

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (16 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Dell ST2220L(HDMI)
    Setting your display color depth to 32 bit should fix it.
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    lalalisah;823543 said:
    I'm having the same issue.
    You can reset the settings by deleting the prefs.prop from
    C:\Users\Lisa\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
  • Thanks man! I'm a little upset that it was that simple to fix it and I'm also wondering how it changed from 32 bit in the first place. Oh well
  • I'm having the exact same issue as lalalisah and since im not really the best with computers, i dont know how to delete the prefs.prop. But i am able to get to the walking dead file. If you can help, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

• In reply to KAnemo

I'm having the exact same issue as lalalisah and since im not really the best with computers, i dont know how to delete the prefs.prop. But i am able to get to the walking dead file. link

Actually scratch that. I deleted prefs.prop, but it still won' work.

This discussion has been closed.