User Avatar Image

Walking dead save files dissapearing

posted by Cactus_Sauce on - last edited - Viewed by 4.3K users
Hey guy's I've come to play through the walking dead again and when I go out of episode 1 to play episode 2 all my save files are gone?
10 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    If it's PC or Mac, please follow the instructions to run the Support Tool and attach the resulting "support_data_pc.zip" or "support_data_mac.zip" to your next reply in this thread.
  • Thanks, I hope you can fix It and if not thanks for the help :)
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    There are two problems.

1. You have two prefs.prop files.
    Please rename the prefs.prop in
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default
    to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it

2. It looks like almost all of your .save files from the earlier playthrough are gone.
    I have no idea how and why though. Here's something you can try:

Disable steam cloud for TWD (In Steam, right click TWD and select "properties". Open the tab "updates" and remove the checkbox from "Enable Steam cloud synchronization for TWD").

Then you can try the "restore previous version" feature on the savegame folder (right click, "properties", "restore previous version"):
    C:\Users\Kai\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
  • I really don't know how my walking dead got that screwed up but It seems to be working fine now, thanks for the help :) It's good to have people like you willing to take out their time to help idiots like me
  • It's went funny again, sorry to be a pain but is there anything else you can do? It was working fine and I went on episode 2 and went off for a little while, I came back onto It and had deleted itself :confused:
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    Please run the support tool again. It looks like something broke again.
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    There's indeed again a prefs.prop in
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default

You either have to rename it again, or move it to the savegame folder, whichever gives the better result.
  • Sorry to butt into this topic but it's probably better than making a new topic about the same thing. My saves are completely gone including the save data folder, frustrating because I was on chapter 5 just a few days ago.
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    SinAlma86;820284 said:
    Sorry to butt into this topic but it's probably better than making a new topic about the same thing. My saves are completely gone including the save data folder, frustrating because I was on chapter 5 just a few days ago.
    You can try the "restore previous version" feature (right click, "properties", "restore previous version") on the savegame folder
    C:\Users\Steven\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
This discussion has been closed.