User Avatar Image

Should Season 2 analyse the consequences of telling truth and lies more?

posted by RichWalk23 on - last edited - Viewed by 3.7K users
I noticed that telling the truth almost always pays off while telling lies had dire consequences in Season 1 and the DLC episode.

What if the next game encourages you to become an expert in lying in situations where consistently telling the truth would become a danger to you and your group? Perhaps your character is taken hostage by a villain, and telling the truth of your groups whereabouts would mean the death of a party member or so, and you need to be a convincing liar to fool your captives?

I'm not saying that the next game should encourage all players to lie every time, but rather explain to players that sometimes telling the truth isn't always the best option.

Your thoughts?
16 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Not all the time, in 400 Day's if you tell the truth to Leland he stays behind and gets killed.
  • Bioshock Infinite WD;822532 said:
    Not all the time, in 400 Day's if you tell the truth to Leland he stays behind and gets killed.
    When? When you accidentaly kill Dee?
  • Yes, if you don't lie about killing Dee he will stay behind in a rage and will be shot by Roman, and I think in Shel's story they talk about getting the supply's back.
  • if you tell leland you need him after telling the truth he comes with you.

yeah i think telling lies could sometimes be a good idea, like in episode 2 i though maybe telling them who the leader was would put a target on their back so lying could be good (depending on who you liked more) and it was a bit silly of Mark to tell brenda about katjaa without knowing if you could trust them first, but it's the walking dead so every choice has to be equally as bad
  • I figured that out on my second playthrough, I think I said get over it and he stayed behind.
  • There's points where staying silent is more powerful than saying anything.

I never lied to Leland, and treated him as a friend, and he still followed me out. I said nothing when he went for the supplies on his wife.
  • RichWalk23;822466 said:
    I noticed that telling the truth almost always pays off while telling lies had dire consequences in Season 1 and the DLC episode.

What if the next game encourages you to become an expert in lying in situations where consistently telling the truth would become a danger to you and your group? Perhaps your character is taken hostage by a villain, and telling the truth of your groups whereabouts would mean the death of a party member or so, and you need to be a convincing liar to fool your captives?

I'm not saying that the next game should encourage all players to lie every time, but rather explain to players that sometimes telling the truth isn't always the best option.

Your thoughts?
    I think this would be a good idea, though I think it would need a whole mechanic to work.

I mean, lying and people instantly believing you would be stupid, especially as villians would never trust hostages as they would be dicks.

Good idea, but I would like to see a reply to this comments explaining how the whole thing would work!:confused:;)
  • Bioshock Infinite WD;822532 said:
    Not all the time, in 400 Day's if you tell the truth to Leland he stays behind and gets killed.
    If you say it nicely and that it was an accident he still comes
  • True, but I guess I picked something that I thought was nice but it was clearly not, because he stayed behind and died.
  • Toxic Tarantula/Fadel;823738 said:
    I think this would be a good idea, though I think it would need a whole mechanic to work.

I mean, lying and people instantly believing you would be stupid, especially as villians would never trust hostages as they would be dicks.

Good idea, but I would like to see a reply to this comments explaining how the whole thing would work!:confused:;)
    Sure, why not? :)

The hostage situation was just an example, probably a bad one since it does sound complicated in hindsight.

What I had in mind was simply an option to lie to someone and not be punished for it. Season 1 appears to reward players for telling the truth, and punishes for lying. What I was hoping in Season 2 is for Telltale to mix the consequences up a bit. Sometimes telling the truth gets you into more trouble than lying, and we should be allowed to get away with telling white lies if the opportunity came along.
This discussion has been closed.