User Avatar Image

Child Kills Grandmother After Playing Grand Theft Auto

posted by MtnPeak on - last edited - Viewed by 6.6K users
http://www.businessinsider.com/boy-shoots-grandmother-louisiana-2013-8?op=1

Very sad.

Games with extremely realistic, sadistic depictions of violence aren't suitable for children. Heck, I am uncomfortable with this stuff. Don't enjoy it one bit. Whether the games allow players to take part in ultra realistic thrill shootings, stabbings or other torture, etc. I think we need to recognize that this material CAN be bad for young players.

What do you all think?
72 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Yeah, it was totally the game's fault. Not bad parenting, not irresponsible gun ownership, it was totally because he played a game.
  • I played Mario and that caused me to jump on my pet turtles. Poor Sheldon :(
  • Gibbeynator;845277 said:
    Yeah, it was totally the game's fault. Not bad parenting, not irresponsible gun ownership, it was totally because he played a game.
    Yes, those things aren't good either, but it's the games fault either way.
  • Ribs;845279 said:
    Yes, those things aren't good either, but it's the games fault either way.
    I'd thought its pretty easy for parents to stop an 8 year old playing a game that's not age rated for them if they wanted to.
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator
    Game is rated M, yet safely in the hands of a child less than half the necessary age.

But, what the heck, guns are obviously rated E. Noooooo problem there.
    Although police associated the killing with the video game, questions remain over the .38 caliber handgun used, which belonged to Smothers.
    I'm not reading this article as if it's just from another country. This is a different world entirely. Guns don't kill people. Video games kill people.
  • If you say guns people kill people one more time, I will shoot you and you will coincidentally die.
  • Video games had nothing to do with it...
    No child should have access to a loaded gun full stop and them blaming it on a Videogame instead of lack of proper supervision is insulting...
  • Who the fuck even has a loaded gun, not on safety, in posession? Fuck, if you keep a gun to ward of burglars, you take it off safety at that point, not at all times. There's a fucking reason there's safety on these things.

People who are so irresponsible with guns should never have guns in the first place.
  • Blaming the access to the gun would be blaming people. We can't do that. So videogames!
  • People really should remember though that guns don't kill people, bullets do.
Add Comment