User Avatar Image

Chapter 2->3 Error chapters become "uninstalled"

posted by mosquitoboy on - Viewed by 377 users

My problem has a little bit of a story to it.

It all started when we finished chapter 1. I was getting the black screen error when I began chapter 2 and realized that I had to delete the prefs.prop file and let it repopulate or what ever by rewinding a little in order to fix the problem and load the game for chapter 2 with all of my decisions I made. IT WORKED and I had a great chapter 2 experience.

However now that I have beaten chapter 2, and I have tried to start chapter 3 I am having a new glitch. This glitch occurs when I finish chapter 2. Once I am returned back to the main menu, I says chapter 2,3,4,5 are uninstalled but chapter 1 and the epilogue are installed not letting me continue my game into chapter 3. If I do not load up my save game I am allowed to play chapter 3, but I will have to generate new story decisions, and that is not the reason I have been playing this game.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/kgdzgy
is my link to the file I was asked to provide. I hope it will help. I have done my best to change files around and let them recreate and such, but I have found no solution. Please help.

It's just so confusing to have this new glitch occurring and frustrating that I couldn't find much information on how to fix this. Is this occurring because of the fix i did earlier? I am so lost.
Note: Yes the chapters are installed. I have steam installing them and when ever I start the application without loading my save data it says they are there.

3 Comments
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

I am not sure if it will fix the problem but, this is worth a try:

Please rename the prefs.prop in
    C:\Users\Alan\Documents\telltale games\the walking dead
    to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it.

Then move the prefs.prop from
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default
    to

• By doing this I lose any decisions i made in chapter 2 and have to restart it. however it does save my chapter 1 decisions. I do not want to have to replay all of chapter 2.

• User Avatar Image
        DjNDB Moderator

okay, the alternative is renaming the prefs.prop in
        C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default
        to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it.

Either way you should only have one prefs.prop, and that should be in

Which prefs.prop works for you depends on what happened before, and can only be found out by trying each of them separately.

This discussion has been closed.