User Avatar Image

Can someone do something about the spoilers?

posted by TheDuck BANNED on - last edited - Viewed by 6.8K users

This is getting ridiculous. There are dozens of topics with huge spoilers for titles, and with Season 2 on the horizon, it makes me hesitant to stick around here. For people who end up unable to play the game right away, this could be a virtual minefield. I mean, even when you point out to someone their topic title is a spoiler, they don't bother to change it, in most cases.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Scanning the last 30 thread topics, I don't really see it. Spoilers will certainly pick up once episode 1 will be available - so will the moderators!

• User Avatar Image
      TheDuck BANNED

You're a mod, right? Can't you do something about this?

• There is no such thing as Season 1 spoilers anymore.

• Disagree. Recently just got the game and am at episode 3. Had some tech issues and came here. Very disappointed that spoilers don't appear to be moderated. Most game sites have a sepereate gameplay/spoiler forum. For such a story driven game, this seems essential.

• User Avatar Image
    TheDuck BANNED

Yes, there are. Not everyone who comes to this forum will have beaten the first season. Heck, the Vita version only came out a month ago, and I believe there are still some platforms it is not out for yet. Even if you were to avoid this specific section, you can still see the topics from the main page of the forums.

• Well, it is difficult to draw the line (and I think it should be drawn since nobody could talk about the stories like Deus Ex or Mafia or even oldies like Ultima otherwise because there COULD someone who want to play those but still haven't). When is a release long enough ago to NOT talk about the story with spoiler-markings? I mean if I go the forums for let's just say GTA V I could expect some spoilers but at least they are likely beeing marked. But shall everyone mark their thread at talking about GTA IV just because there are some people who didn't play it? At some point there is the expectation that most of the players already finished it. Especially by the time of arriving of the sequel. So the minority of gamers who didn't finish it could EXPECT that, too.

There are simple rules of not being spoilered;

1. stay away from YouTube (videos of such games)
      2. seriously. stay. away. from. YouTube! No soundtrack, no pre- or review, let's play, no trailer. NOTHING. Not even the least bit. You could never know that there is some spoiler not so hidden in the top comment or even in the title or description. A single word can be enough. My Red Dead Redemption end experience and expectations was kind of ruined by those few letters: RIP
      3. stay away from discussion,
      4. be carefull in technical help sections (threads can be about a specific chapter and people will describe within the thread, likely to spoil some of the story until that event which is causing trouble)
      5. in evolving discussions (like in real life) make clear that you didn't played the game but WANT TO. Even if you're not sure if you ever play that specific title, make clear that you don't want to be spoilered.

You are an internet user. There are a few simple rules in almost every aspect of using the internet. And it doesn't end at being spoilered of a games/movies/books story. You cannot change people or prevent THEM from spoiling you, but you can increase your chances by preventing yourself from being spoilered.

• User Avatar Image
        TheDuck BANNED

Read through the topic. I've pointed out plenty of reasons people would come here without having beaten this game, and they should be free to do so without worrying about being spoiled, especially when there are rules and precautions set up to avoid this very thing.

• Best advice right here

• Ocarina of Time (1998) Spoilers
        I'm warning you!!
        You rescue the princess....and you get an Ocarina that (can you guess) controls time!

Anyhow, I'm with you on this, just stay away from the internet if you don't want to have things spoiled.
        That being said a (former) friend of mine actually spoiled RDR for me. I asked him to show me some of the game and he let me play the last mission.

• User Avatar Image
          TheDuck BANNED

Once more, read through the topic. I'm sick of having to repeat myself. That entitled attitude is not acceptable, and I've provided multiple issues with the idea of avoiding the forum until beating the game.

• Alright, Duck. You've made your point. A point that I actually tend to agree with. But sooner or later, you're just going to have to except that things are just going to be the way they are.

Spoilers are a problem. I get that. In an ideal world, people SHOULD be able to visit this site without being spoiled no matter where they are in the game. But here's the thing: it's not an ideal world.

There's just not an easy way to deal with the spoiler situation adequately, at least for the time being. People new to the site aren't going to know any better than to post spoilers all over the place. Even the people who do know better might slip up from time to time. The mods can deal with it to some extent but it's just never going to be enough. You have to keep in mind that they're just volunteers who do this stuff in their spare time.

The only real way to adequately address your concern is by changing the structure or functions of the forum itself. Making all these posts and badgering the mods about the problem isn't going do anything. What you need to do is badger the staff here. @Kevin @werefox @JesseW and @puzzlebox to a lesser extent. THOSE are the people you (and anyone who shares your opinion) are going to want to direct your qualms is to. So PM them. And make sure you're heard loud and clear.

Who knows, maybe they'll actually listen to you and change the site (yeah, good luck with that). But until they do something about the forum itself, you and anyone like you basically have two options here: avoid the forum entirely until you're caught up with the games or stay and accept that spoilers will be posted on here from time to time. That's it.

• User Avatar Image
              TheDuck BANNED

I will never just accept something I know to be wrong, as that's how stuff like this happens. This is not about an ideal world, but about right and wrong. I'm not badgering anyone. I'm asking the mods to do their jobs and make sure people follow the forum rules. There is no good reason why people can't keep spoilers out of their topic titles or use the tags/spoiler section. Most are just lazy and could care less about ruining the game for other people. And I can't PM anyone, because I can't figure out how to view my inbox and tell when PMs have been replied to. Regardless, I'm not going to let a few bullies take control of this site. I've just as much right to post here as anyone else.

• You don't have an Inbox any more. Instead, you have a feed, which you can view by clicking the little loudspeaker icon at the top of the screen in between your avatar and the shopping cart icon.

To start a Private Conversation, you need to head to the profile of the person you want to PC and select the private Conversation button on the left of the screen underneath their user info. If anyone responds to a Private Conversation you've started, their comments will appear in your feed, and will be in a purple box rather than the standard yellow ones.

And for the record... you ARE badgering us. You've talked about this in three separate threads now and you have made your points perfectly clear by this point. We have heard you.

• User Avatar Image
                  TheDuck BANNED

That's not badgering. Someone TOLD me that I should post about this in the thread for forum suggestions and provided a link, so I did so. The other thread has nothing to do with the mods. Someone wondered why the forum seemed inactive, and I gave my opinion.

I don't want to seem rude, but I've seen this on too many forums. It's not right for people to suffer because other people are breaking the rules and not being held accountable.

• OK, maybe badgering wasn't the right word, but the fact that this thread has reached nearly 100 comments somewhat implies that we've taken note of what you've said. We're looking into what we can do.

• User Avatar Image
                      TheDuck BANNED

Didn't you just tell me the opposite-that nothing was going to change? And most of the posts have been from non-mods, repeating the same stuff I've already addressed, resulting in me having to repeat myself, too.

• I said things PROBABLY wouldn't change. That doesn't mean we can't see what we can do with our limited abilities though, and that's what we're discussing - what we CAN do. It may turn out to be nothing, but we can still talk about it.

I won't comment on the fact that people seem to be repeating themselves.

• This is a thread with nearly 100 comments. Ctrl + f now shows that 44 of those comments are yours.

This isn't a good way to change things. This is a good way to get banned for harassing the moderators.

• User Avatar Image
                          TheDuck BANNED

Again, not harassing. Please stop posting if you are not going to contribute to the topic. Making posts like these certainly is not helping keep the post count down.

• OK, we're not gonna ban him just for saying something that's clearly important to him.

Nipping that idea in the bud right now.

• On a lot of message boards I've frequented, what I'm seeing in this thread (refusing to let an issue rest after receiving an 'official' response) would be grounds for banning as moderator harassment. At the very least the thread would be locked and the poster would be told to PM the mod directly. It has nothing to do with how important it is to him, but rather the very poorly considered method he's taking to try and get his views accepted.

But I'm not going to complain much about a board being lightly moderated after some of the stifling experiences I've seen on heavily moderated boards, which is in fact part of my very point on the subject of this thread. So nip away.

• User Avatar Image
                              TheDuck BANNED

I have only replied to people in the thread I created. And what poor method? I'm not holding them at gunpoint, nor am I flinging around insults or creating dozens of threads. I have not harassed anyone at all.

• User Avatar Image
    TheDuck BANNED

• the hell happend to the spoiler section of this forum anyway? there's multiple tabs that make me think there should be an option for it, but it all links back to the main discussion forum.
    Regardless. Speculation isnt spoiler.

• User Avatar Image
    TheDuck BANNED

We're not talking about speculation, here. We're talking about spoilers.

• I get what are saying Duck. I think one of the problems is that for people like me who use a PS3 to surf and post the forums, the spoiler protection feature simply doesn't work for the title or the body of threads. (for PS3 users at least) I try not to post any spoilers in titles myself, but I have seen what you mean (a lot of Kenny's fate threads for one example)

• User Avatar Image
    TheDuck BANNED

I'm on the PC, but nothing is hidden. It's largely the posters that are at fault, for putting blatant spoilers in their topic titles.

• I 100% agree. The general forums do have spoilers from time to time in the titles. I was just saying if it worked that maybe people would be more inclined to use it. I know when the game comes out, I wont be on the forums until i play the game for the same reason you mentioned. I do have to say though that it's probably not the best idea for someone who hasn't played through the game to be in the story forums in the first place.

• User Avatar Image
        TheDuck BANNED

If what worked? Not putting spoilers in topic titles or unmarked spoilers in topics is just common courtesy. Also, I am talking about the General forums. I'm sure it happens in the Story section too, but I'm usually here, so that's where I see it. Also, as I pointed out, you can see these spoilers from the main Telltale forum page. Maybe someone comes to check out the forum for another game, the spoilers are still right there in plain sight.

• If the spoiler blocker worked, people would have to click on it to see the thread title. And i said I agree with you. Your preaching to the choir lol. No need to convince me, i'm with you on this.

• Well it's your problem. You should have played season 1 already.

• the majority of people here have played the games. How long should everyone wait? Why don't you leave the forum until you complete the game?

This discussion has been closed.