User Avatar Image

George Romero: 'The Walking Dead' Is A Soap Opera With Occasional Zombie

posted by Robert Morgan on - last edited - Viewed by 18.7K users

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/01/george-romero-walking-dead-soap-opera_n_4183182.html

"They asked me to do a couple of episodes of 'The Walking Dead' but I didn't want to be a part of it," Romero told The Big Issue. “Basically it's just a soap opera with a zombie occasionally. I always used the zombie as a character for satire or a political criticism and I find that missing in what’s happening now."

In 2011, Romero said he loves "The Walking Dead" comics, but hadn't seen any of the episodes at the time. "Listen I love Frank [Darabont], I know he's done a good job. I love the books, I never watched any of the episodes because… my zombies are sort of my own. I didn't want to be part of it. Producers called and said, 'do you want to direct some of these,' and I said no. Because I just didn't think it was me," he told io9.

I can't say I disagree with George here. I know the 'soap opera' aspect is what makes the show appealing to many of its fans, but for me personally, I prefer my zombie stories to be under two hours. To each their own.

145 Comments
  • No shit no one would watch it if everyone hated the lifeless characters

• Gotta say the game and show are both amazing and to find that so many people don't like walking dead on this forum is funny. Romero may have invented zombies but what the guys who made the show did with the zombie apocalypse is amazing, they've realistic characters to show how humans struggle to survive in a fallen society. What he said is stupid and I didn't really like his movies anyways, they felt ridiculous.

• Its someone's opinion. I hardly think all this hate or love for him is appropriate

I like the show and comic too but that is just my opinion.

• The odd thing is, I don't see why

"They asked me to do a couple of episodes of 'The Walking Dead' but I didn't want to be a part of it," Romero told The Big Issue. “Basically it's just a soap opera with a zombie occasionally. I always used the zombie as a character for satire or a political criticism and I find that missing in what’s happening now."

is such an inflammatory comment. I mean, it is basically a soap opera in a apocalyptic setting. I doubt anyone would ever argue that the zombies are more important than the dramatizations of these peoples' day-to-day lives. And that's basically the definition of a soap opera, right?

It's a completely different approach to Romero's own use of Zombies. Romero noted the differing styles; he turned it down because it "wasn't him". His final comment implied some disapproval towards the use of zombies in general today, but it's really faint, and not really directed at any particular target. So why is there a need to take sides? For heaven's sake, he even complimented Darabont.

Is it because "soap opera" just has a terrible stigma attached to it?

• Hahaha, Good man Romero.

• He may have a point but its not like George Romero's own films have been getting better with the years..

• Sorry Romero, but I like substance to my characters, and I enjoy the realism of how chaos reveals the true horror in human nature.

As scary as the walkers are, they're dumb and low, and thus are not the greatest threat to humanity surviving the ZA. Humanity itself is the threat.

Dealing with the actual ethics, and psychology, of the situation is much more enjoyable than the boring archetypes just hacking at, and shooting, zombies.

• Well, there's no point having a show were all you do is go around and kill zombies. The drama, story, and characters are what makes the show so good.

The show is the best branch of the Walking Dead franchise imo, I have no idea why he expects it to be some Z-Nation shit.

• What an idiotic quote. I doubt Mr. Romero watched more than one episode.

• He said that around the time Lori and Andrea were still alive so it was really a soap opera with zombies back then.

• User Avatar Image
    InGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator

I remember before I signed up I saw this thread while waiting for All That Remains. Seems to be undead I guess

Add Comment