User Avatar Image

Episode 2 release date discussion- No word from TTG on the subject of release date so far.

posted by Keupajer on - last edited by Anonymous - Viewed by 425.8K users

It is about 3 months since the release of episode one. I think it is fair to say that the episode is delayed, however due to lack of information, we have no idea how much.

The latest update was given along with 2 screenshots the 6th of December. The update promised a new update after the holidays. We currently do not know, if this update will be an actual release date or not.

Update: Kevin Bruner, President and Co-Founder of Telltale, has just started a new thread with the latest info here. Feel free to continue the discussion there!

2.5K Comments
  • I would hate that but maybe they decided to release it every 2 months instead of every month.Which would mean that it would be released in late December or beginning of January.I hope not!

• Then I would be rather irritated that I had to pay for all 5 episodes up front if it will be almost a year later before i have access to the full game.

• I paid for the season pass as well, I AM rather upset not at the fact that it could be a full YEAR before I get to play the full game but that the releases might come so far apart I WILL forget about the game or just not want to play it anymore due to this reason, I paid retail price which is about $20-25 for this game and I honestly expect a release if not every couple weeks to atleast a month, and maybe TWD inbetween the next episodes would be really great....

• User Avatar Image
      Vainamoinen Moderator

Can't say whether Telltale did or did not decide to change their schedule. But I would say they do know that two months between episodes is considerably too far apart. If they hadn't been absolutely sure that they can pull off simultaneous releases, they would not have attempted to do that.

• Just a quick thing to note:

While I can't remember the link to the interview, they did say during one that they might find it hard to keep to their schedule until the new year. But during next year, they should have things right where they want them to be in terms of release schedules. At least that's their plan, unless something has changed. So, I'm guessing that for next year, if everything goes to plan, we'll have monthly episodes, or thereabouts.

I'm guessing they're still growing their teams and such? Which would explain it. So, I reckon it's mostly coming down to growing pains.

• As i sit here blindly looking at my xbox screen, looking for something i wished and hoped was there. i had a sudden realization, i own all of the fables graphic novels, but sadly after waiting for so long i reread all of them but i am now lost. so the moral of this story is OH MY GOD RELEASE IT ALREADY!!! I need my stuff man "said while rubbing teeth"

• XD I have YET to read them all, infact only read the first 2 going on the 3rd one right now but it only makes me want to read them more, still not at that 150 mark till 2015 for the comics but damn I just want to play the next episode!!

• yeah once i started with 1-5 my wallet started to cry lol. and i know ive been trying to drown out the feels with battlefield 4 but sadly to no avail

• XD it reminds me of all that waiting time on the Beth boards for Skyrim to be announced or all the times guessing and waiting for DLC and talking with the devs while they give you a release window only for it NOT to come out in that time frame XD
          Uggg I need to go play Mugen Souls or BF 1-3 dont have 4 to try n get my mind off this, scared to finish up 400days again for TWD because if I even touch a TelllTale game I know ill be like "...wait a min, why isn't ep2 out? its been another FULL DAY DAMNIT!!!" XD

• I keep on reading the comics so that I won't be bored.

• sorry if i skip reading all comments, but :

TTG should come streight with a release date ! i was planing my holidays at the end of this month ( two month ago ) just to realize, that everything is fucked up! just by not knowing if the release-date is, this can´t be too difficult. if we look @ TTG´s expierence in this kind of game. if there should be some difficulties, they should inform us about them. i mean,....even if they dissapoint "us", it we know whats going on. i dont like this "in Q4 2113" ( if we have end of november without any further notification ) thats nonsens. there are publisher out there who release games in 2 years and i know they will do so,........

just my 50 cent

LM

• sorry i was a bit in some kind of rage,.....sorry for my bad writing -_-

• I feel the exact same frustration but in Telltale's defence, this is only their second episodic game with the choice model. Plus I think someone said they're in the process of hiring. That always initially hogs resources, with training the new guys up. Maybe there were shitload more bugs than expected (or the more stubborn ones are proving to be right buggers to fix). Perhaps XBLM or PSN are giving them a headache. Who knows.

• If they really have these troubles I wish they would let us know about it so that we could stop hoping for a possible release everyday.I would totally understand it and respect any decision they would take and at least I would know for sure that the release will be delayed.But not knowing a thing of what is going on is kind of frustrating for me especially for something you've been expecting for so long!

• Thats not really a defense for TTG. With alot of companies in the US scaling back human resource problems are common. Working on the episodes one at a time during its production run, (if that is really their process) is probably what creates the bugs, typos, and, oversights that have been common in their products in the first place. Its an inefficient way to work. Id be like a weekly tv show shooting and producing and entire episode during previous week, every week. In reality, most TV shows are nearly complete by the time their season opens. Cant see why TTG would work differently if that is within vein their present their games.

They should have had the product (in this case The Wolf Among Us) at least 90% complete before they even released the first episode. Then you spend your time refining it, instead of trying to produce it on the fly.

• Then how would they change the direction slightly to include/change/remove a few aspects according to feedback? Most companies take feedback into account for sequels but have to accept the canon they've created. I'm glad Telltale isn't like that.

• User Avatar Image
          Vainamoinen Moderator

They should have had the product (in this case The Wolf Among Us) at least 90% complete before they even released the first episode. Then you spend your time refining it, instead of trying to produce it on the fly.

That's the traditional release model, which works quite well for some companies. Telltale does it different, it's decidedly their way of doing things. You have all the right in the world not to like it or pass the ship as it starts sailing. And indeed many real fans of Telltale wait until a Season is finished before they buy. But when you've come aboard for the whole wild ride out of your own free will, complaining about every bump doesn't really make sense.

• I didn't play any of the walking dead games until the season was complete, as well. I should have done the same with this game. But producing the games "one off" one after the other is really the way they work then i can see why their games tend to errors and bugs in them. Its a haphazard way to work, IMO.

• Don't understand why this comment got 3 thumbs down. It's all very fair and yes it is entirely the consumers choice as to whether they buy episodically, buy a season pass, or don't buy at all. Bit daft to complain at how Telltale do things when it IS plain to see :\ I mean they don't lie to you n say 'we'll give you 5 episodes at once' do they? lol

• User Avatar Image
      Vainamoinen Moderator

TTG should come streight with a release date ! i was planing my holidays at the end of this month ( two month ago ) just to realize, that everything is fucked up! just by not knowing if the release-date is, this can´t be too difficult.

Telltale's making games the episodes of which are supposedly 4 to 6 weeks apart. Naturally they are only locking in on the release dates at the very last moment. That's the nature of episodic gaming. They either choose not to know these release dates precisely beforehand or they plan for three months between episodes to be on the safe side.

Or to put it even more bluntly: You either get a fixed release date for episode two right now or episode two before Christmas.

Your choice?

• I choose we get a fixed release date right now announcing episode 2 for friday :D

• Technicallyyyyyy saying a date for the episode wouldnt cause a delay in it coming out :/

• User Avatar Image
          Vainamoinen Moderator

Technicallyyyyyy saying a date for the episode would be guessing from Telltale's side.

I'm really sorry, but it IS like that. Not that it has never ever happened before. In Telltale's earliest history, it wasn't unheard of that Telltale officials came out saying "it rather looks like in two weeks than in three". But they just were wrong far too often, so they stopped doing it.

Ahhhh, Jake times. ;)

(Also, there was no console approval process back then, because they only did console releases wayyyyy after the PC version. Nowadays, the console versions add a major time frame insecurity)

• A guess is better than nothing tho :/ I am sure for alot of people including myself and they can just say "we hope it to be out by xxxxxxxx" kinda thing so not to confuse people, it atleast gives us hope in a way.

• Saying there's no point in guessing in case they get it wrong too often is like saying there's no point in meteorologists.

• One guess from them wouldnt matter as much as ur maken it seem....It gives ppl hope and somewhat of a release window even if it would be off by say a few days if they miss it, all in all it would give us more info to go by in a way.

• It would be hopeless to try and guess the actual date.
                I would much rather, they told us, when submision for certification had happend. Then we would know, that it was out of TTG's hands. And we could try to estimate the time ourselfs:)

• User Avatar Image
              Vainamoinen Moderator

That's true. But then again, there IS no point in meteorologists.

Particularly nowadays when the press constantly confuses them with actual experts on climate change.

• It can be very difficult when they are known for having a lot of problems and serious glitches with their releases, including episode one of TWAU.

• glitches? Maybe cuz I have it for PSN n they had time to test it by than but no glitches at all for me

• It would destroy your save if you had a game over or quit in certain areas. It would do the same thing if you tried to rewind to those areas. They released a patch pretty quick, but it was a major glitch and the game shouldn't have been released in that condition. A lot of players didn't even notice it because you can easily finish the entire episode without a game over the first time you play it, and as long as you didn't rewind it your save was okay. You couldn't do anything but delete your save after after it happened though. It would start the game but would show a scene like Bigby and Faith just standing outside the apartments, but you weren't able move or interact with anything.

• oh wow, that is pretty bad BUT like you said a patch was released pretty quickly so what harm is it really? IMO stick with the choices you made first round of the game and don't change them till the second round of it, or ya know, restart the game from the last save before ya made that choice as you normally are able to do... But again a patch was made, problem was fixed not so bad considering some games are just dang broken.

• Well, as time goes on, it looks like I was terribly wrong. :(

• I have a feeling that they are going to release TWAU in the beginning of December (maybe on the 1st or 2nd week) and TWD in late December,probably on christmas or even for the new year.Now that there is only one week left until November is over and knowing that we didn't have any announcement or trailer for episode 2 of TWAU,I don't see what else they could do.

• Well, with The Walking Dead I only noticed a release of an episode the day before it was set for release.

But as long as TWD episode and TWAU episodes are spaced out enough maybe a month apart I'll be happy. Although the isn't many games to play during this winter.

• The TWAU faq on this forum says " You can expect to receive a new episode every four to seven weeks.".

Not 6, but 7.

It was always like this or they changed it?

• User Avatar Image
      Vainamoinen Moderator

The TWAU faq on this forum says " You can expect to receive a new episode every four to seven weeks.".

Not 6, but 7.

It was always like this or they changed it?

The TWaU FAQ on this forum was compiled by UNOFFICIAL sources - Jennifer and me. The official TWaU FAQ does not give an estimate of the schedule; it just says they intend to release periodically.

The time frame estimate on this forum's FAQ was mine; and I based it on past experience, which was kind of justified by the recent official The Walking Dead FAQ which estimates these episodes to be 4 to 6 weeks apart.

To my knowledge, this part wasn't ever changed neither by Jennifer nor myself since the earliest versions of our FAQ. Should we ever decide to change it, it would be due to recent experiences - TWaU episode 2 is obviously running a bit late.

• Well, it's difficult to say "TWaU episode 2 is obviously running a bit late", when there's no specific info on how "periodically" each episode is intended. Even "semi-annually" could be a valid planned periodicity...

Seems to me that "periodically" is gaining a new "when it's done" meaning. If not, why don't give specific time frames?

• User Avatar Image
        Jennifer Moderator

Vainamoinen is right, our unofficial FAQ had stated 4-7 weeks for as long as that part of the FAQ has existed.

However, I've since changed both unofficial FAQs to 4-8 just to be safe, since some episodes of The Walking Dead did release 8 weeks apart (and it looks like the second episode of The Wolf Among Us might be close to that). Anything past 8 weeks is unprecedented with Telltale though (not including the games which were released as standalone titles rather than as part of a season), so I'll be extremely surprised if we have to change our unofficial estimates again.

• Look. I want to play Ep 2 as much as the next guy. But frankly, I'd rather they take the time to do it right instead of rushing to release it.

Sure, the radio silence isn't great, and if TWaU is delayed because of other games that would be a bad thing to do to us, but I guess the age old saying goes... It'll get here when it gets here. And when it does, I prefer it be done right rather than done quickly.

• I haven´t said anything against TTG. I completely agree with you. :))

• You're right, let TellTale take their time so they can make another fantastic episode, maybe even better than the one we've just played.

• I think that they got delayed but I don't know why.I wish they would tell us,I'm sure a lot of people would understand and support them.But they don't tell us anything and they don't release episodes on a regular basis.They should have planned their schedule better.

• User Avatar Image
          Vainamoinen Moderator

7 or 8 weeks between episodes haven't been unheard of in Telltale's past. But from 2006 onwards they at least always tried hard to deliver an episode every named month while Seasons ran. This isn't the problem though, the radio silence is. We're absolutely in the clear concerning the second Season Walking Dead opener, the fans were told before Christmas and that's where we're going. The Wolf among Us fans are a bit in the dark now. Many of the present community have only joined the forum because of the Fables game, and they just don't have the experience built trust yet that Telltale will deliver all episodes. They can't just sit through this. We've done this last year already between ep1 and ep2 of TWD, and it was, for community and company as well as moderators, an absolute desaster. :(

This discussion has been closed.