User Avatar Image

No Season One saves being found?

posted by MRH__98 on - Viewed by 32.3K users

I have downloaded and installed season two of the Walking Dead Game, however despite the fact both me and my brother have played the first season, 400 days and completed both on separate save files, none come up when the game searches for season one files. Is anybody else getting this or is it just me? If so, has anyone managed to find a fix?

113 Comments
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

I can take a look.

Please follow the instructions to run the TWD Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWD_support_data_pc.zip" or "TWD_support_data_mac.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

• OMG! Please help me. Im doing this for my son as a gift for Christmas and I cannot get the saved files from season 1 over to season 2.

• User Avatar Image
        DjNDB Moderator

Sure. Just run the support tool and upload the result.

• User Avatar Image
            DjNDB Moderator

You seem to have done quite some weird things with the savegame folders already. And the games are not properly installed.

Where did you buy season 1 and season 2?

• yes...I have copied and moved some things hoping to fix it :( I got season one at best buy and season two season pass at gamestop thru the telltale site. ughhh...is it fixable?

• season two is not properly installed? I installed season one from a disc..

• User Avatar Image
                DjNDB Moderator

Both games are missing the registry keys that are created during installation. Are there multiple windows user accounts, and were the games installed under a different account?

The first thing i would do is making a backup copy of
                C:\Users\agfle_000\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead Season Two\GameData
                because that looks like the only place that could contain valid season 1 savegames.

• there are two accounts yes. mine and my sons. Could be possible that they were installed differently.

• User Avatar Image
                    DjNDB Moderator

Okay, that's a problem, because the season 1 saves are stored in the wrong folder.
                    You need to copy the prefs.prop and all .save files from
                    C:\Users\agfle_000\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead Season Two\GameData
                    to this folder you need to create
                    C:\Users\agfle_000\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\

Then season 2 should see the savegames, but season 1 won't see the same folder because of the missing registry keys.
                    I suggest you try that first, then we can worry about fixing season 1.

• okay..errggg. when I go to make a new folder its telling me that it cant contain: or /..? SOme things Im like a moron about sorry..

• User Avatar Image
                        DjNDB Moderator

I'll try to make you a one click solution in a few minutes.

• User Avatar Image
                            DjNDB Moderator

Okay, it's a few more clicks, but it does some cool stuff.
                            Download this, unzip it and start the "runme.bat".
                            It should then create the proper folder, copy the savegames, rename the messed up season 2 folder for a clean start, and fix the season 1 registry key.

The window will close automatically, so you might not see much of the output, but that's not necessary.

Then try if season 1 sees the savegames and shows stats for every episode. If it does you can start a new game in season 2 to see if it offers to import the season 1 save slots.

• backup copy done

• User Avatar Image
                    DjNDB Moderator

Once you've done what I posted after that too, please test if season 2 offers to import the season 1 games once you start a new game.

• User Avatar Image
      DjNDB Moderator

That's the link to the support tool itself. You need to download and run it as it is described in the instructions.

• User Avatar Image
          DjNDB Moderator

There are indeed no savegames in the savegame folder ( %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\ ).
          Did you possibly play on a different windows user account or run season 1 in compatibility mode?

In the latter case please check if there is anything under
          %PUBLIC%\Documents\Telltale Games\

• I was wondering what those files were doing there. When I played season one I encountered issues starting up the game and I tried a lot to find a way to start the game until I found the actual solution. Is it simply a matter of dragging them from one folder to the other from now?

• User Avatar Image
              DjNDB Moderator

Copying the prefs.prop and all .save files from
              %PUBLIC%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\
              to
              %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead\
              should let season 2 find your savegames.

Make sure you choose to overwrite the existing prefs.prop.

• I'm running into the exact same problem but I'm running from steam on OSX Mountain Lion, I'll upload my support info in my next reply.

• Here is my support file, I'm running into the exact same issue as the original poster.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/vl8lgh

• User Avatar Image
        DjNDB Moderator

Your season 1 ran into a savegame bug, and I am not sure if it can be completely recovered. Most likely at least the Episode 6 progress will be lost. You can try to get some progress back, but it will take a few manual file operations.

You can navigate to each folder below by starting Finder, and selecting "Go/Go to Folder..." from the menu or pressing CMD-SHIFT-G, and pasting the path into it.

First go into each of these folders and rename the prefs.prop to prefs.prop.bak:

~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/WalkingDead102/

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/WalkingDead103/

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/WalkingDead104/

Then move the prefs.prop from
        ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/WalkingDead105/
        to
        ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead

Now start Season 1 and check if it shows the savegames properly. If it does, you can try starting season 2 to import them.

• User Avatar Image
    tronix Telltale Alumni

Season 2 will look for Seasaon 1 saves in this location:
    PC:
    C:\Users\Username\Documents\Telltale Games\WalkingDead
    Mac:
    ~/Library/Application Support/ Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead

Season 2 will only find save games for completed episodes from Season 1.

• Hi

I too cannot see any savegame files from season 1 from within season 2. I can verify that they are all in the default save folder following the path you gave above. Any ideas? Support tool path is : http://www.sendspace.com/file/f3duxa

• User Avatar Image
      DjNDB Moderator

Can you still load them in season 1?

• Been trying to load season1 since your (very fast - thanks!) reply. I've not touched it since completing 400 Days, and it's come up with a login box wanting my telltale credentials to 'unlock the game'. After supplying, it just hangs. No message box or anything. I presume server overload at the moment? Why would this be asking to be unlocked, considering I succesfully completed the game the last time I played it? I've deliberately left it well alone as I know how touchy it can be!

• Im having an issue with this too. My season 1 saves show up fine and I can play them, but I don't get any prompt when I open season 2 to load in saves, and I cant find an option to select them. http://www.sendspace.com/file/8ny18h

• Season 2 cannot find a single saved game file. Please note: I have my completed saves under my Steam profile, but my Season 2 is on the Telltale Games platform. Running on Mac

http://www.sendspace.com/file/uolcic

Thanks for the help!

Edit: I can see the saved games profiles when I load up my Season 1 Walking Dead. I have saved games under both Telltale and Steam, but I want to use my Steam Saves. Regardless, Season 2 does not find either Save (steam or Telltale)

• User Avatar Image
      DjNDB Moderator

Steam and Telltale store versions use the same savegame folder, so you should have the same savegames in both of them normally. Due to a bug you do have a prefs.prop in the Telltale store version though which breaks that:
      /Applications/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/prefs.prop
      That means there is a chance your savegames are inconsistent, since you had two different games writing to the same .save files.

The prefs.prop in your savegame folder is to small to be valid for the savegames. There's a prefs.prop.bak that looks like it might be correct.

Please navigate to the savegame folder by starting Finder, and selecting "Go/Go to Folder..." from the menu or pressing CMD-SHIFT-G, and pasting the path below into it.
      ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/

Rename the prefs.prop to prefs.prop.old.

Then rename the prefs.prop.bak to prefs.prop.

Then start the steam version of season 1 and check if it shows the correct stats for each episode. If it does, try importing it to season 2.

If that doesn't work, you can try copying the prefs.prop from
      /Applications/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/
      to
      ~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/
      But be carful to make a backup copy of the current prefs.prop before you overwrite it.
      Again check the stats in the steam version of season 1 before you try importing them.

• Been having alot of trouble, tried some manual fixes but everything seems to have been f'ed up even more. Can't even play my season 1 files when I launch S1.

Please help me: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ammazu

• User Avatar Image
      DjNDB Moderator

Please disable steam cloud for TWD (In Steam, right click TWD and select "properties". Open the tab "updates" and remove the checkbox from "Enable Steam cloud synchronization for TWD").

Then try the "restore previous version" feature (right click, "properties", "restore previous version") on the savegame folder ( %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead ). If there are multiple versions try restoring each of them starting with the latest, to find one with only a prefs.prop, .save and a syncfs folder in them. If the prefs.prop is much bigger than 10KB chances are best it's the correct set of savefiles.

There also seems to be a backup on your desktop you can try using if everything else fails:
      \Desktop\the walking dead1

• Hello,

I also own a first season with all episodes on steam. And I use the steam cloud for the saves. Unfortunately I can't load the saves in first season or second for some reason even though I can see them under my documents.

Here is the link to my diagnostics files: http://www.sendspace.com/file/76g95m

Thanks

• User Avatar Image
      DjNDB Moderator

I don't see anything unusual about your savefiles.

I suggest you make a backup copy of the savegame folder and then try this:

Please disable steam cloud for TWD (In Steam, right click TWD and select "properties". Open the tab "updates" and remove the checkbox from "Enable Steam cloud synchronization for TWD").

Then try the "restore previous version" feature (right click, "properties", "restore previous version") on the savegame folder ( %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead ). If there are multiple versions try restoring each of them starting with the latest, to find one with only a prefs.prop, .save and a syncfs folder in them. If the prefs.prop is much bigger than 10KB chances are best it's the correct set of savefiles.

• Hi,

This won't help since I reinstalled the PC not so long ago and there are no backups, because I was hoping to use Steam Cloud to backup my saves...since it was designed for this.

Here is a link to my prop file: http://www.sendspace.com/file/580vc8

Any other ideas?

• User Avatar Image
          DjNDB Moderator

It says "new game" in all 3 slots. Most likely there were savegame issues on your original system, and the prefs.prop that would have worked was in some other folder.
          Sadly there is no way of recovering your savegames under these circumstances.

• Hello,

as many of players I also do have problems with the game not recognizing my save files.
    Here is the link to my files. Would be a huge relief to see all those played hours wasted :)
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/c2k49q

• User Avatar Image
      DjNDB Moderator

The prefs.prop in your savegame folder is too small to be valid. It was probably replaced.
      If you have a backup of your savegame folder, please restore it.

Otherwise: If you are playing on steam please disable steam cloud for TWD (In Steam, right click TWD and select "properties". Open the tab "updates" and remove the checkbox from "Enable Steam cloud synchronization for TWD").

This discussion has been closed.