User Avatar Image

The Walking Dead Season 2 - Login Error

posted by welshdrag on - Viewed by 62.3K users

Login Error Can't communicate with Telltale Servers

I've even tried allowing the software too be able to go out of the firewall. Even tried restart the computer. I am upset how I am unable to login and play this game on time. I feel sorry for myself and others to per-ordered on the website.

Just have to wait for a bit longer I suppose. While like 70% of players on steam have already got their access too their game.

I am very upset :( very heart breaking.

Alt text

242 Comments
  • Did you buy it on steam because most people who had this issue bought it through telltales website ?

• Yeah I pre-ordered it on the website instead as it was cheaper deal. But just makes me upset seeing my friends getting to play the game first on steam while I patiently wait here.

• User Avatar Image
    TelltaleMike Telltale Staff

We are currently looking into the server connection issue that customers are experiencing. I apologize for any inconvenienced this has caused you.

• Hey TeltaleMike, why am I getting this?

Alt text

• User Avatar Image

This may be an issue with your registry. Please open a command window. (Below are instructions on how to open a command window)

Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "cmd" and press enter

Windows Vista / 7: Press the Windows key. Type in "cmd" and press enter

Windows 8: At the start screen, type in "cmd" and press enter

Then copy the command line below and paste it into the command window, press enter, and confirm the question (to confirm the question, type “y” and press enter):

REG DELETE "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Telltale Games\Launcher”

Please then try launching The Walking Dead again.

• This doesn't work, I also have the same issue, it tells me I do not own the game, even though I downloaded it from the "My Games" section of this very website...

• Well I pre ordered on the Macbook Pro and its not working after i Installed it said unidentified developer so can you guys fix this bug
          i tried restarting and re downloading still nothing

• Works for me, thanks!
          Just had to delete the registry entry manually in regedit, the cmd command didn't work.

• i did it and it looks like it was going to let me cuz it asked for my id and password, but after that i still got the same error. need help

• worked for me! thank you!

• telltale mike i did exactly as you said but it keeps saying "the system was unable to find the specified registery key or value" please heeeelp
          • User Avatar Image

I apologize for the inconvenience. Please make sure when you copy the above text that you do not copy a space before or after the text, as that will produce an error message. If you still receive an error after inputting the command line, please try typing in the command line one letter/symbol at a time into the Command prompt and then hit enter to execute the command.

• Same problem and fix doesn't work. I purchased my game on GMG and never buying from them again thanks to you guys.

• GMG is great; an authentication issue with Telltale's servers shouldn't influence you on them. They got the key to you well before launch time, didn't they? I got my key about 20 hours ago, well before it was "released" to be downloaded, so I was ready to go as soon as it went up. They usually use steam keys and those always work if steam is working. I've bought a ton of games from them, and this is the first time there has been any issue like this for me. The Telltale authentication servers are obviously just overloaded or have a small error that needs patched, but GMG did their job.

I was actually glad it was a key for Telltale directly though, but I didn't think it would have this sort of drm.

• When will this be fixed? Very disappointed in you guys right now, I was so excited to play now I have to wait? I've been waiting forever, come one guys :(

• Its almost been 24 hours....any news on getting this bullshit fixed?

• How do I get a refund? I just downloaded this game with a redeem code from Amazon pre-order, and it has this login error. I need to be able to play the game immediately. I notice it has been 10 days since your post about this issue, and it still has not been fixed. I predict you won't be able to fix it. Thus please give me a refund or a substitute (people mention Steam) or I will ask my credit card company to reverse the charges. If I can't play the game despite paying for it, it is considered theft. Thanks.

• Can i have my account deleted? Thanks

• Wow just sucks that this always happens AFTER the launch -.-
    You could think about the number of users-.-

• same for me...

• I purchased it from Telltale and cannot connect too. :(((
    I thought i will gate a Steam key buying the game from Telltale but NOT !

The next time, i will buy my game on http://www.dlcompare.fr/jeux/acheter-the-walking-dead-season-2-726 for the same price and i will get a steam key and a working game !

That's simply unacceptable Telltale ! :-(

• Next Time let the people preload the game please. And the connection issue on Telltale Servers while Steamusers play already, thats a real bummer, I thought I buy it directly here and now this. It is half past ten pm here, your european customers get hit twice as hard if it won't be resolved in the next few minutes.

• I'm really P.O.'ed about this. Why bother with the authentication servers? The only people it is stopping from playing is me: a paying customer.

• Technically not true, if there was no authentication then the game would be sent all around the world and many hundreds of thousands of people would play it without paying - you know this to be true, but you're annoyed. I also am annoyed as I'm experiencing the same issue as you, but it's pretty obvious why companies use DRM - broken as it may be - in today's world.

• I would be ok with it if the DRM actually worked properly. I don't care if they use DRM. However, if they can't promise a satisfactory experience for their consumers in one avenue then they should have a back up plan.

Believe me, there are ways to download and play the game right now without any of these problems. In fact, I would gamble to say that more people know about those websites than have ever heard of TellTale Games. It's not stopping anybody who was going to take it anyway.

• I login in and it says i don't own the game, while i have preordered . DRM sucks

This discussion has been closed.