User Avatar Image

Clementine as protagonist - death unavoidable?

posted by Deventh on - Viewed by 30.5K users

Anyone else gets a cold chills that something bad may happen to this amazing character? I don't want to see her die, really... I know someone may argue something must happen for the plot to continue, but it doesn't have to be always death. Now that they made her grown up by a year and a half almost she is more capable survivor than most mature adults which is no surprise considering what she's been through. Telltale may switch to a different character with different story at the end of S02 if they don't have any other ideas for Clementine other than to kill her. They can always revisit her if they so desire, but just please, as a fan I beg of you to reconsider if you are thinking of killing her. Killing isn't always the answer.

290 Comments
  • I am preparing myself mentally, yeah. If killing Lee was a natural move to pull, killing Clementine is a must. The effects of her death would be tremendous due to out time as her caretaker and as herself during this season. I don't want it to happen, but I know it can. That's part of the brilliance of the IP; nothing is certain.

• Killing Lee was to prepare Clementine's character as the new protagonist, but killing her will serve no purpose whatsoever. It will be just to bring a tear in the fan's eyes. Make her a badass character that she deserves to be, don't just kill her to make us cry.

• Making a point, that they would achieve. No one is safe -yadda, yadda- the world doesn't give a shit about her, etc. Hell, they can give her death meaning throughout the season. Maybe a noble sacrifice, maybe what it takes to survive is not worth it, hope lost, I don't know. But we have to consider that it might happen, and we need to learn to say goodbye to her character.

Again, I sure as hell hope it does not come to that.

• killing lee is racism.they never had to kill lee to make her badass

• No, it isn't. What's up with you and racism in particular? You mention it often in your posts.

EDIT: It was character development and shock value (can't find a better word ATM) in the culmination of the season. It hardly mattered what Lee's skin color was. He played a role.

• because i hate racism. when i see it i call it out. i love the game and pre order the full season 2. why did lee have to play that role, why couldn't kenny play that role

• I just wanna know why the black guy have to die in everything.

• Well, Lee didn't die first.... And its usually how their character plays out, not just because of skin color.

• yes. lets make them immortal instead

• Unlike most movies or games were it would be cheap or fall under "the black guy always dies first or in general" routine, here it is not the case. The events leading up to Lee getting bit and dying were all unforeseen and proof that even he wasn't invincible. He died in a sad, (tearful too) honest and non stereotypical way. He was well written and well received, and I know plenty of people wanting him as character of the year in some circles, and some even said he is/was one of the best characters ever created.

Know what would of been racist? Had they made him a stereotypical convict that spoke ignorantly and acting how some (or maybe even more) of Hollywood portrays black characters in films or television shows. He was a normal, educated, caring, strong man who made mistakes and owned up to them. He didn't abandoned Clem like some deadbeat, and he didn't have any mannerisms that made his character seem cliched. He was the exact opposite of all that imo.

Don't use racism as a reason/excuse, because that is so far from the truth it's almost laughable. (not being insulting to you so don't take it as such) Look at what they could of done with Lee as a character and thank Telltale for making a strong non white character. One who is still great even after his sad/tragic death. A lot of developers and films could learn something from this.

• This! Peace out, I'm done with racism for today.

• I will not thank no one, because they killed him.

• You're so smart, answer this. Why didn't telltale have lee take care of a black girl?

• I always saw Clem as biracial being a good thing. You usually have one or the other in most media forms (black white Asian etc) but never really and mixed races. So here it shows that all types of people are being represented. Sure she could of been all African American ( as opposed to half) but Telltale saw her as the character you have before you. Shouldn't you be happy that Lee turned out as he did and not a stereotype? Shouldn't you be glad that in a world were mixing races is frowned upon by some, that Telltale is pretty much giving them the middle finger and showing that they exist?

Let me turn the question back to you: why are you looking for problems that aren't there? I'm a black man myself and I was very pleased how he was represented. He was a teacher ( a good one from the looks of it) he was intelligent, caring, loyal, looked after a child he had no attachments to at first, and put himself in harms way to make sure she was safe and prepared for the badness in the world. Clem was represented amazingly too. She had a good head on her shoulders and was smart as well. She had a great sense of morality and wanted to be a good person and do what's right.

Had Lee, been a stereotype he would of had to "learn to be a good man" instead of already being one ( when it came to Clem heck I'd say in general) he would of been the comic relief or the other typical stereotype role. He wasn't though was he?

Don't be that guy looking for racism that isn't there, you're better than that/ SHOULD BE better than that.

• they made clem lighted because they thought others would not care about her if she had dark skin. why do people act like they dont see it? look at the racism Rue from the hunger games got, funny thing is she looks alot like clem but have darker skin look her up

• Didn't the author go on record to say Rue's character was black? I wasn't sure if that was ever addressed by her. Also who cares what some people think regarding Rue. That's their problem and their way of thinking, and I pay no attention to people like that, because to me their opinion means crap and they usually are made to look stupid when they are exposed for their views.

How do you know that was what Telltale was doing with Clem? Did they say that, or are you assuming? They made Lee full black and I have yet to see or hear people say they were disappointed because Lee was black and it was hard to care about him because of it (I'm sure they're out there though) I've been hearing the opposite actually.

I can't predict the future nor look into the past, but I can be sure Telltale didn't didn't sit at the table saying "she can't be black, do you know the backlash we will get"? I think when creating her they wanted to do something different, something that usually isn't represented. You said you were mixed race in one of your posts, yet you complain about racism when you in a way are being represented here. You should be happy and thank them for doing this. Again you are looking for problems that aren't there.

[Something I just looked up on the wiki page]
                      I know sometimes the wiki pages can't be fully trusted, but if you look under Clem's profile read what it says about her race. Read what her mother is. She may be a lighter skinned woman but she is black it seems, so that would make Clem....

Now even if the page is inaccurate you still have a child from a mixed family, who plays as much of an important role as anyone. You have a strong character here who isn't the usual protagonist you see in most games. That says something.

I expect you to try and make an excuse from my post, but you really need to take a step back and look at the overall picture here. They tried something new and look at what happened, she is one of the most loved characters out there, and from my end I haven't heard one "I don't care for her because she's black or mixed race". All I hear is how much people love her, and her race never came into question. You seem to be letting the feelings of others get to you, when as I said before they shouldn't even register on your radar. THEY DON'T MATTER!!!

I will repeat myself again: stop being that guy, you should better than that.

• I agree with most of what you said. I don't think telltale make her light or mixed because backlash but because telltale knew she would appeal too more people.

• Well to me that's the problem of the person/people playing it. If they have issues caring about a black person ( or any non white character)in a game, then they have issues with people not like them in general in the real world. Sure it may be the "safe route" to the developers ( if that's the case) and sure they should not care what people think ( like the creators of that amazing cheerios commercial) but at the end of the day they at least did something no one else that I have seen in video games do.

Let me ask you this: what do you yourself see Clementine as?

• she was a multiracial girl as it kinda looked but she may have very well been fully African American so your point is shit.

• Guys, stop feeding the troll.... people said very valid arguments and yet he/she isn't even acknowledging them. I bet this is just a troll. This is also very much off topic...

• Im not a troll, i just wanted to understand why they killed lee, it's seemed like race but i may be wrong, no need to get upset over a chat, i never disrespected anyone here.

• I know. But you don't seem to understand the general opinion that everyone is trying to tell you. Am I wrong?

• Black men die because their the strongest and make better decisions in horror movies and games.. Whites always be stupid and go towards the killer or creature. Then slip on invisible rocks then crawl away slowly asking ,''WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS!!!???? Blacks only win in their horror movies Lol. I'm Mixed by the way lol

• Lee is one of the best protagonist I have seen in a game. His death was memorable. For me, this disregards any racist claims towards his death.

• What if Lee was white? Would killing off a white Lee be considered racism too?

lol

• no but more people would cry.

• I think plenty of people cried when Lee died. If you watched any gameplays on youtube like Pewdiepie he cried his eyes out. And Pewdiepie is not black.

• But Pewdiepie is a fag and forced himself to cry. And he does other annoying shit that no one likes.

• So annoying people are incapable of crying?

Also, resorting to calling people "fags"...

• I never stated that being annoying makes someone incapable of crying. I don't see where you pulled that line from, and I'm not "resorting" to anything considering this is the first thing I've stated about him. I guess you must be one of his fans, considering how my comment made you react. Just know that I have no quarrel with you and I could care less what you think about me. I just think that Pewdiepie is an overrated imbecile and a complete sellout, if you don't agree that's your opinion. plain and simple, now, let's get on with our lives.

• You base your assumption that he forced himself to cry off of his annoying personality. I don't like PewDiePie and I don't like Let's Plays in general, but nor do I like unjustified attacks on people. What evidence do you have that the crying was faked? It didn't look blatantly fake at all during the presentation at DICE. Do you think Dan Connors would have used the clip otherwise? Tobuscus however, fake as hell.

Also, using fag as an insult is not justifiable. You dismiss the point so casually. This is the 21st century, there is no place for homophobia.

• I don't come on a thread to debate things like this, I stated my opinion on the guy, by saying that I thought It he was faking it and that he is a total fag. I didn't base an assumption off of his personality, and furthermore I don't give two shits if you think my reasons are unjustifiable, there are plenty of other things to complain about not being justifiable, this is merely a comment on a forum, nothing more, nothing less, don't blow little things like this out of proportion for whatever your reason is.

• You don't have anything to debate. Everything has been laid on the table. Just as well, as your reading comprehension and inference are sorely lacking for any sort of reasonable debate. Not to mention your tact, as your homophobic insults are insensitive to many members of the forum. You don't care, though. That's alright. I'll end this here.

• I think you're the only one that's bothered by it, well so far, also don't take me as homophobic because I used the word fag, which is just a word and shouldn't really bother anyone. Anyways thanks for finally deciding to stop. I was starting to wonder if you were hurt on a personal level, but you made it clear that you care a lot about the content in our good forum and the feelings of the people that go on here, you could of told me that earlier you know?. I think we owe each other an apology for wasting each others time, I'll go first, I sincerely apologize Riadon, If I hurt your feelings or anyone else's, I am truly, truly, sorry. Take care and have thumbs! :)

• How can you say how many people will cry? You can't say that..

• lol did you forget already you cant be racist towards white people.

• Um dude, many characters died, not only Lee. If only Lee died and the other characters lived then yeah it would of been racism but it wasn't.

• What are you talking about???
          You should really go to Hollywood instead and post this peace of shit over there.

• As he TheGoodTheBadTheDead said it was for shock value. Not to be racist.

• racism?! come on , they chose a black guy to be the main character . the hero who takes care of a little girl as his own for the entire season , how can they be racist ?!

• You are the biggest troll I have ever seen ! Lol you "got" a lot of people.

• Wrong type of game for that, now NFS, THAT game turned me into a racist.

• Killing clem would be natural also because alot of people like clem, thats how you get people crying over her

• I see Clem being more like Carl, in that growing up in this world will make her hard, but eventually a leader. You first see Carl as this little kid who is just happy to have his dad back, then he turns into one of the most dangerous zombie killers, and even in both the show and the comic one of the most rational and cold killers of people too. When it has to be done he does it, even if it is another child. I think Clem will go that way. I hope they make more seasons. I really do and if this stays a cash cow they probably will.

• Is this like the 3rd thread on Clems death? Not Complaining as I like to hear other peoples thoughts!

• The story is already getting tense in the first episode. I'm really worrying about rabies that may caused by the dog bite.

• Depending on how far they advance the timeline in this season, I suppose it's certainly possible, but I really don't see it happening for another season at least, if it indeed goes that far. They have to make sure we care enough about someone else before they kill off arguably the most popular and beloved character in the series.

• What would be great is if we could have different endings depending on what we do throughout the series. Then the next season(If there is one), we start from scratch with a new character, therefore making less work for telltale(No multiple beginnings and such). That would keep the series fresh, and also make it the players fault if the ending sucks for them lol :D

• Exactly. I don't think she will die mainly because she is the character the story revolves around at the same time it is hard to write a good script with closure without her death. I personally don't think telltale will kill her but the possibility is a sign of great story writing.

• I feel a lot of people will think that's copying Lee's death and they will feel betrayed.

• Yeah, to an extent it would be copying Lee by killing another protagonist

• Same here. Though it wouldn't be a betrayal to me, but more of a "You couldn't do something better/ different with Clem"? Not that I'm saying it is impossible, because if Telltale feels this is how it should be then that's their choice, but I feel like they have something more in store for her. Maybe like an ending like The Last of Us where it's just a "life goes on" sort of ending and Clem just continues on with her life and with whomever is in it with her, and we move on to another established character.

It's all up in the air, but I hope Telltale isn't in the business of repeating protagonists deaths, that feels cheap imo,

• Indeed. The possibility drives decision making. You're more careful about what you say and do, and you may make life and death decisions (Pete/Nick, for example) based on who or what gives you the best chance to survive.

• The fact is that there's always the fear. If Duck wasn't off limits then neither is another kid- especially the protagonist. I think it all depends on TTG's intentions with the game and where they want to take it. The final, cruel, harsh lesson might be that no one is ever safe. But if they decide to do like the comic- they may keep making them as long as the demand is there which means Clem could live for several more seasons... or not.

I think we all believe that TTG would kill off Clem if the right situation were there and that may not come this season but it may come in the future. One of the things I think makes the comic so fun and engrossing is that you're really not sure what they'll do- no one truly seems safe.

• The final, cruel,harsh lesson might be that no one is ever safe.

I thought that was already established in the comics?

• I believe clem is a cash cow for telltale. like rick is for the comics and show. and that dont mean they are better then others just have alot of hype.

• I don't know if "cash cow" is the way I'd put it but I would agree there's potential to have her around for a while.. I just wouldn't be surprised if they ultimately killed her off that's all.

For the record, I do think it's possible Rick dies in the comic if the circumstances were right but NOT in the tv show until the end of the run. I feel the same way about Clem.

• I don't think so. there's a difference between(I know it must sound a little cliched now to begin that way) doing every awesome thing possible with a character people like from a narrative perspective before having to let them go, and stapling them into a game to add a whole lot of flavor with no substance.

Personally I don't think there's a whole lot they can do with her after a possible 3rd season. At some point people are going to think, "oh look, it's Clementine. As cool as I remember her(not)." The point where a character is shoe-horned in just to be there is when they become a cash cow. It'd be easy to tell from whatever explanation they have for putting them in there and whatever they might(possibly) have to do with the narrative, when their involvement ceases to be new or creative.

• Nah I seriously doubt it. Telltale knows everyone is quite attached to Clem, and killing her off would only cause major backlash. There are many ways to create drama without Clem's death. And it would be too similar to Season 1, like they're just following a formula. I expect serious shit to happen, but Clem will survive.

• Everyone dies. It's God's plan.

On a more serious note, I could see this game going for another 1-2 seasons after this--whether we're still playing her or not--with Clementine ending up bitten and dying somehow when she's in her 40's or 50's. And she would be considered one of the survivors. You just can't die of old age in that world anymore. Personally I'm at peace with it, as long as some characters(ones we like) survive at least one of any given season, and the others are given good deaths.

Robert Kirkman has said that Rick will eventually die at the end of the comic series.

• I hope clem dies abruptly not like lee. being shot in the brain or devoured to save someone would be ideal.

• That is too typical, don't you think?

• I dunno about being devoured. I like to think Clementine will put what she's learned to use to the point where she's just too good at avoiding getting bit. Getting shot by someone I could see, at least that would reflect choices made, like whatever she chooses, she ends up getting hurt in a manner appropriate per said choice(s). Seeing her get bitten or eaten because she did something stupid or got caught by surprise would just be lame.

Add Comment