Telltale Autumn Sale

'Detect Selectables' in Season 2?

I played all of the first season with Story Notifications off and Detect Selectables on and I very much liked this set up, as I prefer to play that game without the story cues. While playing episode 1 I spent way more time looking for things to interact with, and I died more times in season 2: episode 1 than I did in all of season 1. To be honest this removal of a small customization like that seems like an odd omission, and it really negatively impacts my experience. Is there any way to enable the game to Detect Selectables like the first season or am I stuck with the Standard vs Minimal display option? Thank you in advance, and great job on episode 1 otherwise!

Comments

• edited May 2015

Thread: What happened to the UI? Standard/Minimal/Detect Selectables?

Me and my girlfriend just finished Season 1, and I'm happy to say that she was crying like faceplanting baby by the end. Goddamn. Why did practically everyone need to die? And then you kill the last guy I like before Season 2 even really starts. Goddamn.

Alright, anyway, the first thing I notice is.. the UI has gone to s***. What happened? Everything is enormous and wonky.

1. Gone are the subtle but noticeable selectables - now they're circles that are hard to see, but when you mouse over them, you get an enormous ring.
    2. When selecting action, you can no longer easily scroll with the scroll wheel, no, you must move the mouse around, moving the camera at the same time (however little), and press what you want to do.
    3. When you choose dialogue option.. oh god, what did you do? Why? It was perfect in Season 1. I could pick choices fluidly using the keyboard 1-4. Now I must move my mouse and select one of 4 enormous buttons that covers 1/2 of the screen.
    4. Quick-Time Event imagery is either huge and in-your-face or muddy-so-you-have-to-stare-at-it. What happened to the clean style of Season 1 where you could focus on what was going on and see everything else at the corner of your eye? Now it's either superimposed over everything, or I find myself staring at it when mashing Q because I have no idea what's going on.

And then I looked at the Options. And.. there are none. Well there are two. But none that matter. How do I choose whether I want Story Updates/Hand-Holding/Spoilers or be able to see Detectables? Why are these tied in Season 2? Is there any way around it?

I want to be able to see Selectables, because otherwise I'm fumbling blind, just mousing over random objects hoping that I'll be able to touch something - anything - but I never know what. If it's like in Season 1, this will be exacerbated by the fact that everything isn't selectable at once, but only when it becomes relevant, as it should be.

I need to be able to see the selectables, but I really, really, really don't want the in-your-face updates and spoilers of "You need to find X, Y and Z to progress" or "ABC will remember that, hurrrrrrrr".

Is there a way to do this? The other interface issues are frustrating and annoying, but not being able to separate between Detect Selectables and Spoiler Updates is the last straw that makes me want to shut the game down in disgust. Everything about the UI looks like it's adapted for consoles, like I'm supposed to sit across an entire room and I must be able to see the 4 gargantuan boxes, and I can't quickly select answers with the keyboard 1-4 (I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really hope that there won't be any "answer quickly" dialogue events in Season 2, because while I like those, I'm going to be misclicking a lot or miss those answers because of that; seriously, what the hell?).

Surely there must be a way to fix this? It's a pretty simple UI, and even if the UI isn't fixable, separating between Detect Selectables and Spoiler Updates must be doable, maybe in a config file? I couldn't find any config- or .ini-file(s), but the game must have them somewhere.

...right?

• Bump. I really want this too. The Season 2 UI is horrific. D:

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike ModeratorTelltale Staff

Unfortunately at this time the only options are Standard vs Minimal. Choice Notifications are a feature of the game, and at this time we have not announced any plans to update the game to add an option to turn them off. I will make sure to pass your interest along to the team!

• But if we select Minimal we won't get 'X will remember that', correct?

Unfortunately at this time the only options are Standard vs Minimal. Choice Notifications are a feature of the game, and at this t

The 'X will remember that' notifications will still show up regardless of which setting you use (Standard or Minimal).

the_bursk posted: »

But if we select Minimal we won't get 'X will remember that', correct?

• Thanks, but I was told in another thread that they could be turned off: https://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/87345/can-i-turn-off-x-will-remember-that-in-season-2

Was I lied to?

The 'X will remember that' notifications will still show up regardless of which setting you use (Standard or Minimal).

Ah apologies for my confusion. It is the help text that will still show up regardless of which setting you choose. ('Silence is a valid option' and Quick-Time Event tutorial text will still show up to help you through the game, but the '___ will remember this' will indeed turn off when you have it set to Minimal.

Thanks, but I was told in another thread that they could be turned off: https://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/87345/can-i-turn-off-x-will-remember-that-in-season-2 Was I lied to?

• Sweet! I did indeed buy Season 2 already, but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Can you please tell me which other TT games allow us to turn off the notifications (be it through Minimal or whatever)?

Ah apologies for my confusion. It is the help text that will still show up regardless of which setting you choose. ('Silence is a

The Walking Dead: Season One and Season Two allow you to turn Story Notifications off. I believe this is also the case with The Wolf Among Us, but I do not believe our newer games (Game of Thrones and Tales From The Borderlands) turn the Story Notifications off when setting it to Minimal.

Sweet! I did indeed buy Season 2 already, but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Can you please tell me which other TT games allow us to turn off the notifications (be it through Minimal or whatever)?

This discussion has been closed.