32 Comments
  • He was the Screw-up of the group. He was put in the story to mess things up and be the disliked one, so i blame telltale for his hatred

• That was just his character. It's like saying that we only hate the stranger because the writers made him kidnap Clem. I think it's good writing to be able to make a character that you can disagree about. Many people sympathise and relate to Ben, but i feel too much of what he did was inexcusable.

• he probably represented a version of myself if I had actually been stuck in a ZA. Maybe that's why I couldn't ever bring myself to hate him, knowing I would have to hate myself as well.

• I don't like him.

• I don't really like him or hate him. He was just a kid who had been through a lot, the same as Clementine and Duck. However, he had lost everybody and was trying to help out in his own naive way. This often backfired horribly, but he never did anything intentionally bad. So I kept him with me until the end, hoping to give him that big redemption moment. It's a shame he never got it, more for his sake than Lee or Clementine's. He was so down on himself.

• Well said, but...

So I kept him with me until the end, hoping to give him that big redemption moment. It's a shame he never got it, more for his sake than Lee or Clementine's. He was so down on himself.

Ben did have his redeeming moment, though. He stood up to Kenny and told him to stop wishing he was dead. Ben finally opened up and spoke about all the hardships he's been dealing with, including never learning about the fate of his family. What's important is not that Ben "manned up" and yelled at Kenny, but that Kenny actually empathized with him and forgave him. Ben's too old to be a child, but too young to be an adult, and getting the worst of both worlds is a real drain.

• Ben was a nice guy, he played with Clementine. But he was incredibly nervous. The bandits probably cornered him and he offered giving them supplies so that the group wouldn't be attacked anymore, he thought he was helping. But afterwards he was wrought with nervousness and guilt. If he admitted to taking the supplies right after the attack, the situation for him probably would have turned out better, or at least I would have had a higher opinion of him. The fact that heaped this guilt of getting Katja and Duck killed upon himself was stupid, and if he didn't blame himself for it, for all we know, Kenny wouldn't have hated him for it.

I think Ben was a good guy, but incredibly nervous and felt unnecessarily guilty.

• He also just wanted to be useful a lot of the time, although he did it without ever asking the group leaders (Kenny, Lilly, Lee), which was a mistake.

Taking the hand axe out of the doors was just plain stupid though, he should have recognized that it was one of their axes and in the door handles for a reason.

• a guy who tried to do the right thing. I dropped him though, a burden to the group

• I find it disturbing how much people try to justify hating, and/or killing, a grieving teen with mental health issues.

This discussion has been closed.