74 Comments
  • yeah most of this is really disapointing but maybe they gonna make the next one better i hope so

• I agree with your first point, Chapter 1 Season 2 did seem a little shorter than chapters from Season 1. Granted I take that assessment with grain of salts because I would always like to see this games chapters last another hour or two.

As for being too easy I honestly didn't think it was any more or less challenging than the previous installments. The puzzles always take a back seat to player decisions, dialog, and atmosphere anyway. In fairness though I don't usually try to die/fail to see the effect so I may be speaking with ignorance.

Your final point I largely disagree with. I thought killing off Omar was a great (if horrible/tragic) way to kick off Season Two. When we see Christa fall over Omid's lifeless corpse and the title pulls up I swear I could almost hear the Telltale staff shouting "Welcome Back! Life is still horrible!" and that's why I think they had it go down that way. They wanted to knock us down before we even got out of the gate. We see Clementine with her newer foster parents and it looks like things are starting to settle into a new 'normal'. Yet not five minutes later Omid is murdered by a scared teenage punk who doesn't even know what the f*ck she is doing. That is essence of TWD, senseless death and the pain and fear that accompanies that loss. Obviously it is a tightrope act, if they kill off too many characters we care about too quickly they risk losing our interest/investment, but I believe at the end of the day TWD is a story that should produce more tears than smiles from its audience.

• The one complaint I have with this episode is the ending which is why I think many people are unhappy with it.

For one it ends really abruptly out of no where with no real conclusion, but also that entie scene the logic seems to vanish. Pete who preachs gun safety only has two bullets and despite him being the one to say watch out for the dead, he gets bit. Pete then just stands there despite being on the wrong side of the river and out of ammo instead of hopping back to clem and Nick.

The rest of the episode I felt was really good, for one I felt they fixed the problem in season 1 where it felt weird to be the bad guy, here clem can choose to be nastyish and it dosnt feel out of place.

• Yeah it really annoys me when Pete could have just said 'My gun is jammed!'. Literally one sentence difference and the scenes logic doesn't vanish in a puff of implausibility. That or they could have offhandedly referenced their ammo situation being that terrible before that scene. What bothers me more is that none of them take any melee weapons when they don't have enough ammunition to fill their rifles. Not even a staff or club or walking stick they could have made in their stay at the cabin, or one of the many objects they would have picked up on the way there. Also Telltale forgot to re-use Lee's bolting animation on Nicks bolt action rifle so apparently Nicks's superpower is self chambering rounds. (Well that, and friendly fire). But yeah. TL:DR, Pete Only has two bullets left: Doesn't take a backup weapon. Sense made=0. I mean it's not like having a melee weapon makes you immune to walkers so it's not like the scene would have played out any differently to the way Telltale wanted, it would have just made more sense and gave Pete's death or injury more substance and shock value, seeing as he was prepared and experienced and he stillgot bit.

• Can't disagree about the ammunition point but I thought Pete stayed where he was because he knew he was bitten & therefore couldn't come back to the group. There was a great moment where you see the bite then Pete & Clem's eyes meet. They both know he's bitten & you can see the understanding. That was my read on it anyway & what prompted me to leave Pete & go with Nick.

• I can't stand apologists, they are the reason why games turn to shit! They're blind fans that'll buy and praise the game even if it where a pile of soggy dog shit. We need to stay on the devs, make sure they don't sacrifice quality.

I'm glad that someone is more critical. I want this game to be great, but the first episode was a bit of a disappointment. There really should be more threads like this.

• To be fair people say this about every episode since S1 ep2, people always say the previous work was better. S1 ep 3 was too dark, ep 4 too action packed etc. Not to say I dont think there should be criticism there should be however aside from the length and what I said about the ending I didnt feel it was poor.

• wut ? ep3 was my favorite one :D It can't be too dark in TWD. And episode 2 was clearly better than episode 1

• I'm not saying it was 100% hated it, Just that every episode there are several who dont like it and always prefer the earlier material it happens in most things. Often it is justified but here I'm not sure, its only been one episode.

For example after episode 4 loads of people disliked and said it was nothing compared to episode 3 but after episode 3 was released many people said they despised the episode (mainly due to a certain characters death). However now both of these episodes are loved, time is a great healer (or people who complain dont stick around maybe)

• I don't even understand why people think criticism makes them against the developers. It helps them! They need our help to criticize the bad parts of their games, as well as praising the good parts, so they can improve and do better next time. Telltale missed many chances of using their masterfully crafted illusion of choice: if Clementine grabs the gun in the bathroom scene at the beginning she could just slip over or accidentally kick it away. If she fed Sam in the dog bowl or shooed Sam away, Sam could have gone after her food later anyway and attacked her, or stalker her if she initially tried to put distance between her and the dog. The part that bothers me is that they still do it well later anyway, with the 'Appeal to a member of the group' scene, the Alvin window scene, and the Sarah scene where you can be (kind of fake) friendly or shut her down, and either way she gives you the stuff, but for very different reasons (one to be nice, and the other so that she doesn't get in trouble).

• About the Rebecca thing... if she get's talked off, doesn't that mean that Clem doesn't learn about her secret?

• Yep, you can't ask her about the baby afterwards. Which is an example of the better stuff in this episode. Some people here might not know that it might not be Alvins baby

• I hope they make the next one better. I think it shoulda've been possible to be caught in the house, so that the little fear that I felt while sneaing in would be more realistic.

• I bet if Rebecca HAD found her, she'd shoot and ask questions later.

• But how can the choice of not hiding change the future, if Clementine didn't even interact with Rebecca or Sarah. If you don't hide, it's like Sarah thinking: "I got a feeling that I should tell Rebecca about there being towels in the kitchen, because I feel like something bad will happen if she goes into the bathroom.". It just didn't make sense.

• We don't know if Sarah was thinking that, she could have just informed Rebecca just because, but a coincidence either way.

• But the future having changed over a choice which had no impact over the environment or a character doesn't make sense. At least, if you don't hide, get Rebecca enter the bathroom, a Game Over screen pops up nd you get to restart. I would prefer this choice instead of the alternative.

• One thing that may improve the game's length is more "hubs". In The Walking Dead Season 1, the drug store was considered a hub. I would have liked to see the house becoming a hub area right after Clementine was done eating, so she can explore a bit and discover things before moving on to the river scene rather than just going straight to it. That would add fifteen maybe twenty minutes to the clock, maybe more.

• User Avatar Image
      OzzyUK Moderator

I agree i thought this episode lacked the choice of dialogue options, Even down at the river you are given the option to talk to Pete and Nick but all they do is tell you to look around, That would have been the perfect opportunity to be able to learn a little more about the characters to help you choose between Nick and Pete as one could prove to be more useful than the other in the long run (depending if Pete would survive the amputation).

• Oh yeah, that's a good point actually. Episode 1 had the drug store, episode 2 had the dairy through several points of the game and episode 4 had the crawford school, and these did extend the length because more dialogue options popped out as you went along, and you had some side stuff to do like giving the energy bars, or fixing the swing, or accessing that secret locker, these hubs definitely added to the game. They should do something like that with the house.

• I thought the same thing. Whenever we met a character in Season 1, we would get to talk to that person and learn about their backgrounds. Hubs are definetely necessary. A hub after Clem had eaten, in which you could explore the cabin and talk to the other characters would be perfect. I don't even know Luke's/Pete's/Nick's/Alvin's/Rebecca's job before the apocalypse, yet we got to learn almost everyone's jobs in Episode 1 Season 1.

• I was unaware that Season 1 was hard or that these games are supposed to be difficult.

• Well, a good challenge always makes you willing to accomplish something. The puzzles in Season 1 were challenging enough to keep me engaged, but always with a possibility of failure, but not mind-numbingly difficult.

• 1+ on difficulty, the game should be dark souls hard.

Regardless, I'm satisfied on where the series is heading.

• A dark souls difficulty QTE? I think not.

• Some of us don't want to see the protagonist die over and over again. Wish there were some difficulty settings for the QTE's though. Such as:
      Cinematic: Time slows to a stop when you need to make a QTE: No risk of failure, keeps the player engaged.
      Regular: same as the usual, 3-10 seconds per QTE with 'backup QTE's' if you fail one so that you only really fail if you screw up pretty bad.
      Engaging: doesn't decrease the time frame for QTE's, and you still have backup QTE's, but does double the number of them, thereby incresing the engagement factor for players who want more challenge but are good enough so they don't die too often. So where dodging Winston took on button press to (visually) dodge him twice, it would take two.
      Or they just make it like the Wolf among us, where the QTE's are pretty difficult, but you could fail many, many scenes without dying, and the character just looks more injured by the end of the scene/it shows him succeeding but only barely, and it alters some dialogue in later scenes. EG Episode 1 where Carley would save Clementine at certain points if you failed. Though I guess that is more or less the effect of the Cinematic difficulty I suggested.

Add Comment