This discussion may contain spoilers!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[Edit] My latest theory: Crane provided the hair and picture for the glamour, the book, the dress and the perfume. He hired Lily’s services to act out his fantasy. [Judging from his response when Lily’s identity is uncovered, I doubt that he would knowingly have sex with her. She was likely picked by a third party, or Crane alternatively only saw her glamoured self]. Her meeting with Crane was pictured without him knowing, most likely for blackmailing purposes. -Faith and Lily, like the other girls at the Pudding & Pie, were magically (and literally) forced into a bond of silence by their employer regarding his identity and the identity of their costumers. The enchantment was most likely cast on the purple ribbons worn around their necks. The employer also held the power to behead them though the magic ribbons [which makes him the murderer]. -Faith and Lily were close and may even have lived together. Under interrogation Tweedeldee claimed that she was of somewhat questionable morality and had stolen an item of value from his employer, the ‘Crooked Man’ (the name of the next episode, ‘The Crooked Mile,’ is also from the same nursery rhyme). If Crane was indeed the employer of the Tweedels the pieces could fall nicely into place: Lily stole something from Crane at the Woodlands, disguised as the real Snow White. And Faith was in on it. Lily had taken the picture of Crane in room 207 in case they have to blackmail him. -The employer learns of the breach of contract and kills them. Maybe he is informed of Faith’s intention to meet at Bigby’s apartment? Lily was killed in room 207 [this strengthens the assumption that her killer ran the P&P and the hotel]. -The placing of the heads at the entrance to the Woodlands was clearly a message. I doubt the murderer himself delivered the heads, being as sophisticated as he probably is. Instead, one of his employees sets up the scene. The ribbon and signet-ring are left as a clue by someone who sympathizes with Faith, perhaps one of the girls at the P&P (or as a plea for help considering their plight). But who was the message for?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
So I was just wondering what you guys think. It's obviously very early to speculate over most of the plot, but here are a few pretty concrete thoughts:
- Ichabod Crane isn't Lily's murderer. Beauty's master key wouldn't open the room, and the torn dress suggests that Lily (or one of the other girls) had worn it on an earlier occasion, possibly when the picture of Crane was taken. I believe he's being framed.
- Lily was reported missing before the night of Faith’s murder, and was presumably killed before her too. We can assume the blood at The Open Arms was hers because her corpse held a similar flower.
- The purple ribbons probably prevent the girls at the Pudding & Pie from talking. More information on room 207 will have to come from either Crane or Georgy.
- Lily's body will probably be thrown into the witching well before Holly can cremate her. I imagine Crane will dispose of it now that he's become a suspect (Bigby was probably confronting him over the well in that missing scene from the episode's preview). This means that no further clues will come from her body. Dr. Swineheart still hasn't come up with any results from examining Faith's head. Either that or her missing body will probably provide a lead in the future.
- Lawrence probably can't provide any information regarding the item Faith was concealing, on account of them being apart. I suspect that he, like Woody, Beauty and Beast, is merely a distraction at this point.
- Considering their handling of earlier investigation scenes, the Tweedles are probably the ones who searched through Faith's items at the P&P. Their employer (The Crooked Man?), however, seems an unlikely murder suspect.
As for my speculations:
Crane long-term hired room 207 at The Open Arms for his Snow White RP. Either he himself or someone else at the Woodlands provided the hair and picture for the glamour. Lily regularly played his Snow, but Faith covered for her at least once as suggested by the note at P&P. It’s hard to point out which of the two was killed first, but neither could have been a mistake considering the careful placing of both heads at the Woodlands’ entrance. It has to be a message for someone there. It may even be a plea for help. I suspect the purple ribbons magically behead the girls at P&P if they speak against the rules.
The Tweedles' employer could also be Crane. He did instruct Bigby to be gentle at the interrogation and Faith may have stolen something from him when she was covering for Lily. Perhaps an item that could reveal his identity and ruin his reputation. Not certain about that one however. Also, unless he's being framed, I can't imagine why the picture of him and Snow would be left behind at the hotel.
What do you think? We obviously have a long wait ahead of us before the next episode, so you might as well shoot on.