User Avatar Image

Audio Quality?

posted by walter_sobchak on - last edited - Viewed by 1.9K users
Amazing game, but something is really detracting from my enjoyment :(

Does anyone else have an issue with the audio quality of the game?

The compression used on the dialog creates some odd audio artifacting, especially with Strong Bad's voice. I understand that better quality audio would significantly add to the download size, and thus cost Telltale Games more money to deliver it to everyone; but I implore you, Telltale, PLEASE offer an audio quality upgrade pack. It's a minor detail that some people don't mind (or they simply put up with it, since they're used to the compression on the Homestar Runner website), but I expected more quality since this is a stand-alone game in it's own engine.
42 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Flo
    As others have pointed out, using headphones tends to bring out the highly compressed frequencies, making especially voices sound tinny and jittery. If you have the option, definitely use speakers.

    It's a shame that Telltale doesn't have the resources to compile a higher-quality voice package, either for the DVD release, or as a standalone optional download.

    Either way, it still sounds better than those old Lucasarts Talkies ;)
  • Flo;83762 said:
    As others have pointed out, using headphones tends to bring out the highly compressed frequencies, making especially voices sound tinny and jittery. If you have the option, definitely use speakers.

    It's a shame that Telltale doesn't have the resources to compile a higher-quality voice package, either for the DVD release, or as a standalone optional download.

    Either way, it still sounds better than those old Lucasarts Talkies ;)
    Since when do they not have the resources? Did all of you PC people forget about the second platform which has a definitive size limit, preventing them from making it any better w/o making the game itself less good? Is sound really so important you would sacrifice game length or playability? Because that is the only way you will ever get HD quality sound as long as this is a WiiWare game and the rest of the world other than yourself has at least a chance of being dial-up. As for DVD, it has been quite a bit since the S&M one was released and I'm sure that it will be higher quality.... even though I'm being cheated out of it by Nintendo.....
  • User Avatar Image
    Flo
    InfamousDS;83865 said:
    Since when do they not have the resources?
    I don't have a link or a quote at hand, but lack of resources was the gist of it when the issue came up during Sam & Max Season 1.
    InfamousDS;83865 said:
    Did all of you PC people forget about the second platform which has a definitive size limit, preventing them from making it any better w/o making the game itself less good?
    For the PC version, higher-quality audio could be offered as an additional, optional download for those who really care about it, without impacting the Wii version at all. We can assume that higher quality versions of the samples already exist, since it's highly doubtful that the original studio recordings are compressed so badly. But it would take time to edit and package those (hence "resources", since Telltale is a small studio).
  • I know they can do that, but many of the arguments here is that it be put into the game permanently and not be an additional download.
  • I don't have a problem with the audio quality per se, but I noticed clipping and a few popping noises in some of Strong Bad's lines - and it's definitely not my audio hardware (Creative X-Fi Platinum) mucking up since those happened always at the same spots and turning down the voice volume in-game didn't help either...

    So I guess those must have happened while recording...
  • All I know about the audio quality is that the Chapmans do the voices and thats all I need.;)
  • walter_sobchak;82232 said:
    Amazing game, but something is really detracting from my enjoyment :(

    Does anyone else have an issue with the audio quality of the game?

    The compression used on the dialog creates some odd audio artifacting, especially with Strong Bad's voice. I understand that better quality audio would significantly add to the download size, and thus cost Telltale Games more money to deliver it to everyone; but I implore you, Telltale, PLEASE offer an audio quality upgrade pack. It's a minor detail that some people don't mind (or they simply put up with it, since they're used to the compression on the Homestar Runner website), but I expected more quality since this is a stand-alone game in it's own engine.
    Hey, the TV I always have my wii hooked up to was literally made in the 80's.You don't know what bad audio quality means.:cool:
  • I actually thought this thread would be PRAISING the audio quality compared to the Sam & Max games. I found that the compression was much less noticeable and I felt the voices sounded especially good, better than in most games, even. (To that end, I must point out that a lot of games probably use this type of voice compression, not just Telltale's downloadable games. It's probably just less noticeable when there's less dialogue and more explosions.)
  • Sir Lemming;85175 said:
    I felt the voices sounded especially good, better than in most games, even.
    i disagree entirely. i didn't play the Sam and Max games, so going by what you said the sound must have been pretty awful in them.

    but to bring things up to date, the audio fidelity in Strong Badia the Free is totally fine. looks like the Telltale folks paid attention. thanks, Telltale folks.
  • Yeah, I've not had any sound issues beyond one or two clipping errors in the intro - which I haven't tested to see if it resurfaced but it hasn't appeared anywhere else. I did notice the volume of the music was a little low during the Cave Girl Squad, because I couldn't seem to make it out, but that may have been due to... I don't know... it being Cave girls instead of Teen girls, and the whole "cave people had simpler music".

    But I digress, if that's all that was wrong when I played the game in regards to audio, then I seriously don't see the problem. I'm reminded of people who complained about how the Incredible Hulk had poor graphics compared to the PS3 version. All I had to say to that was "be glad us on the PS2 could even play it."

    And like someone else said, all that really matters to me in the voices is that the right people are doing them.
Add Comment