User Avatar Image

Homestar character design appreciation thread

posted by Galbrush Sheepgood on - last edited - Viewed by 540 users
To take the focus off my posts about the bugs I've encountered with SBCG4AP, here's a post dedicated to awesome.

With or without eyes, all the HR characters look totally sweet in the Telltale engine, with the rendering and animation of Homestar being especially brilliant. I love how expressive and fluidly animated Homestar is in the game compared to his normal Flash style. That little satisfied smirk he does is a great extension of his character - Homestar really is smarter than he seems. ;) I love watching his various random actions (stretching, running in place, etc.) I just wanna give him a huge hug. Friggin' adorable.

Great jorb, Telltale. :)
17 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • you're totally right. most characters look amazing. the best matches are bubs, marzipan and coach z, i think. the shape of homestar's head looks somewhat different to the original, but the additional facial features make up for it. pom pom looks a bit odd, the first time you see him from the side, but that's just the way he is shaped. the cheat however doesn't really look like the cheat, but more like the "kick the cheat"-plushy. he should be more edgy, like strong mad.
    apart from that, the characters are really well done.
  • wisp;84365 said:
    ...the cheat however doesn't really look like the cheat, but more like the "kick the cheat"-plushy. he should be more edgy, like strong mad. ...
    Maybe The Cheat's model was based on that.

The peeps of FCUSA look awesome, and I'm sure that even people who knew nothing about Homestar cartoons would see them the way I do, too!
  • Definite awesomeness all around. Although Bubs looks a bit odd in 3D.
  • Bubs' mouth looks ever so slightly odd, but thats OK.
    I just wanna see Homsar.
  • It occurs to me that we haven't seen Homsar in 3-D yet. Wonder how that'll turn out.
  • TrogLlama;84439 said:
    It occurs to me that we haven't seen Homsar in 3-D yet. Wonder how that'll turn out.
    I'd imagine they'll skip straight past 3-D and on to 14- or possibly 15-D. Homsar cannot be contained by simply 3.
  • wisp;84365 said:
    the cheat however doesn't really look like the cheat, but more like the "kick the cheat"-plushy. he should be more edgy, like strong mad.
    I think The Cheat has lost his edge.
    http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail197.html
  • I think Homestar and The Cheat are the ones that are furthest from the cartoons, but nailing them dead-on is near impossible. Actually, I sort of wonder if Telltale could go for a slightly different style of Homestar that doesn't try to imitate his Flash counterpart, but still looks strongly like the "character" that we're used to.
  • I actually thought Homestar did very well. My biggest problems were with Bubs's arms and mouth, the Cheat, and the Lappy. Something about typing on the Lappy seemed off, and I can't quite place it.
  • I thought Homestar was spot-on, although seeing him smile always looked a little weird. I think the cartoon Homestar mostly smiles with his eyes.

I still think Bubs's mouth should've been perfectly flat and always facing the camera, but maybe that didn't work out.

Overall I was really impressed. After playing for a while you stop thinking about the 3D.
Add Comment