User Avatar Image

Securom what?! :(

posted by elcheezy on - last edited - Viewed by 1.5K users
OK, I've done the forum searches. I've tried the processexplorer fixes and whatnot, and that doesn't help. Why Telltale, why?

I bought Sam n Max season 1. I bought Sam n Max season 2. I thought I'd try out this Strongbad game for funsies, and if it was good (almost assuredly so), I'd buy that too.

Downloaded the Strongbad demo, installed, ran it... bam, securom check. WHY are you doing this now!? What a terrible idea, in the day an age when the public are raging about DRM on mp3's, and intelligent companies all over the world are ditching it - you go and slap securom on your new stuff?

I've already jumped through a number of hoops trying to get this demo working - not gonna happen it seems. If you ask me to change registry entries, uninstall stuff, update some weird Microsoft apps I didn't even know existed, and force me to waste my time for who knows how long, then damn... sorry guys, it's been a fun ride, but I don't think our relationship is going to work out. Such a dealbreaker... I hate to use use an old cliche, but: "It's not you, it's m-" wait, no, it is you.

No doubt you're going to securom-up any new Sam n Max stuff too, if it comes? Och laddy, what a shame. Guess this is the end, then. It was good while it lasted - you seemed so nice - I'm honestly surprised things got this draconian. :(

Farewellllllllll.... I hope securom's poetic, empty promises and steely frowning gaze fills the void you're feeling.

xoxo
23 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Mel
    You realize both Seasons of Sam & Max have had Securom as well?
  • I've never had any problems running Bone, both Sam and Max seasons, or Homestar Ruiner. Everything from Telltale has run beautifully for me.
  • Mel;84369 said:
    You realize both Seasons of Sam & Max have had Securom as well?
    Then they must've gone for the heavier "iron fist" version of securom with Strongbad.

This is the first time I've tried running a demo of a telltale game... maybe that's it - I bought Sam n Max 1+2 on sight. Perhaps this hardship is punishment for not being blindly devout, and testing the water with a franchise I know nothing about.

Either way, it's mean. Be nicer, Telltale. Throw away the iron curtains and let sunshine in.
  • User Avatar Image
    Jake Telltale Alumni
    It's the exact same stuff we've been using for the last year and a half.... which is a very light version of securom, wrapped in the most usable UI we could build.
  • Yeah, I'm gonna have to say that this is something specific to your system.
  • SecuROM is however always known for being a faulty and / or malicious piece of whatsit even Strong Bad would cry a river about. Heck, Strong Sad would just get suicidal just by seeing the word "SecuROM".
  • Jake;84390 said:
    which is a very light version of securom, wrapped in the most usable UI we could build.
    and do you think it really helps against copying the games? I'm genuinely curious here, 'cause I really can't imagine which customer segment it can hold back :confused:
    or does it live its usefulness only in the short time window between the release of the game and the availability of the first working crack?

PS: I'm asking because I do hate SecuROM and its brethren.
  • User Avatar Image
    xtrmntr Telltale Alumni
    elcheezy;84379 said:
    This is the first time I've tried running a demo of a telltale game... maybe that's it
    Just to confirm... you have clicked the "No thanks, just take me to the demo!" button on the wrapper login screen right?
  • It doesn't even let me get that far before slapping me. I'll double-click on the icon on my desktop, then bam:

SBCG4AP100 SBCG4AP101
    A required security module cannot be activated.
    This program cannot be executed (7000).

Please have a look at http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=module&c=7000 for further, more detailed information.

Sam n Max runs just fine, seasons 1 and 2. As does absolutely everything else!
  • Out of curiosity, did you try the steps outlined on the page in the error message?
This discussion has been closed.