This discussion may contain spoilers!
I'm writing this based on the results of my playthrough of Episode 2. Alvin died and Nick lived in my story.
Hours after the ski lodge massacre, everyone is just minutes away from Carver's community. Rebecca is still grieving over Alvin's death, Carlos is in excruciating pain and agony and Clementine is just looking down in silence. As they all walk through the entrance into the store, Carver turns around to talk to them.
- Carver: Welcome home. I know people are still...sore about what happened. But the worst is over. Now, we all work to together...as a group and maybe as a family. As for the newcomers, you will all contribute to keep this community safe. Everyone within these walls is counting on you to keep them safe. And if, for any reason, you won't accept our hospitality--
Carver walks up to Kenny, who's just glaring at him.
- Carver: --you'll sure wish you did.
- Kenny: Fuck you.
- Carver: Mind your actions, friend. The last person who pissed me off is still healing.
He looks to Carlos. Carlos just looks away and comforts Sarah.
- Carver: Bonnie, Troy, take them to the guest rooms. It's been a long walk and they could use a good night's sleep.
- Bonnie: Yes, Sir.
Troy gestures his gun to tell everyone to move forward. Bonnie follows him.
- Carver: Everyone but you--
Everyone turns around to see Carver pointing to Clementine.
- Carver: --you come with me.
- Rebecca: What do you want from her?
- Carver: Just a little chat.
- Kenny: You stay the fuck away from her!!
- Clementine: I'll be fine...
Clementine walks away from the group towards Carver.
- Carlos: Clementine, don't--
- Clementine: I said I'll be fine.
Bonnie walks up to Clementine to untie her hands.
- Bonnie: I'm so sorry for doin' this to you, darlin'.
- Clementine: (without looking at her while walking toward Carver) No, you're not.
Bonnie is saddened by Clementine's harsh response. Her and Troy proceed to move the group into the store.
- Carver: I appreciate the cooperation, kid. Come on, let's go. I want to show you something.
Carver and Clementine walk up the stairs and eventually make it to the rooftop. They walk to the front where they can get a good view of the barricade and beyond.
- Carver: After this whole world went to shit, there'd be people willin' to kill their own mothers for a place like this. I've a feeling you haven't seen anything as safe as this. Hell, I can't even begin to imagine what you've been through.
Carver looks at Clementine. She won't look at him.
- Carver: Listen. I'm sorry if I made a bad first impression at the cabin. Must've been scared out of your mind.
- Clementine: Did I look scared to you?
- Carver: As a matter of fact, you kept looking at me like you were judging me. Probably too confident for you're own good.
- Clementine: People underestimate me.
- Carver: I'll bet.
- Clementine: The last person I said that to, you killed him. He didn't do anything wrong, and you killed him like he was nothing.
- Carver: Your people killed one of ours. Hate to break it to you little girl, but that's how it is now. You kill one of ours and I'll kill one of yours.
- Clementine: You should think about who you're talking to.
Carver looks at Clementine and raises an eyebrow.
- Carver: I beg your pardon?
Clementine is still looking away from Carver. He's losing his patience.
- Carver: If you're gonna be stupid enough to threaten someone bigger than you, at least have the fucking decency to look at me!
Clementine slowly looks up and makes eye contact with Carver.
- Clementine: You don't scare me. I've met people worse than you.
- Carver: Is that so? Tell me something...have you killed before?
- Clementine: Yes.
- Carver: Who and how?
- Clementine: A man who kidnapped me. I shot him in the head with his own gun.
- Carver: No kidding...
Clementine continues glaring at Carver. He responds by kneeling down to her level.
- Carver: You talk like you're the only one out of the two of us who's done hard shit to survive. There's something about you that makes me think you could come around. Be a real leader here. We actual have a woman here with her little sister that's about you're age, maybe older. You could be a real example to her. Teach her how to shoot.
- Clementine: And why should I?
- Carver: (stands up) I thought I made it pretty clear about what happens if you reject my hospitality.
- Clementine: I don't care about what you say, or what you do. I'm going to make you pay for what you did to Walter and Alvin.
- Carver: (chuckles) Jesus Christ, you more ballsy than I thought.
- Clementine: I don't know when, but when I do get the chance, I'm going to kill you.
- Carver: You had the chance when I was at your house. You're in mine now where people are willing to take a bullet for me so if I were you, I'd tread carefully.
Clementine looks down.
- Carver: Well, it's getting late. Nice talking to ya Clem, but it's time to get some rest. Come on, I'll show you to your room.
Carver takes Clementine back into the store. On the main floor, they come across hallway with doors that lead to rooms like a hotel guarded both by Troy and Bonnie.
- Carver: Did you separate Carlos and his daughter?
- Troy: (nods)
- Carver: Good. You've got yourself a roommate, Clementine.
Carver opens the door to Clementine's room.
- Carver: You start work at dawn. Make sure you're up and ready by then.
Clementine walks into the room while Carver closes the door. It's a small room with two small beds. Sarah is sleeping on her side in one of them. Clementine walks up to her bed and sits down, thinking about all that's happened.
- Sarah: ...I can't sleep...
Clementine is startled by Sarah's voice. Sarah sits up and turns to face Clementine.
- Sarah: I can't stop thinking about what happened. What he did to my Dad. They won't even let us talk to each other. I'm worried, Clementine. Are they gonna kill him?!
- Clementine: I...I-I don't know
- Sarah: Are they gonna kill us?!
- Clementine: Look, just calm down. If we just do what they say, they probably won't even think about.
- Sarah: But my Dad's still hurt!
- Clementine: Your Dad will be okay. I promise you.
- Sarah: Really?
- Clementine: ...I...I...I don't want anything bad to happen to him, but I don't want to promise you anything I can't control.
- Sarah: (looks down) Ok.
- Clementine: I'm sorry.
- Sarah: ...well, I'm just glad I have you as a roommate.
- Clementine: (smiles) Me too.
- Sarah: (puts up her pinky finger) Friends forever?
- Clementine: Friends forever.
They shake pinkies.
- Clementine: Don't be afraid.
- Sarah: What?
- Clementine: Fear is the thing that will kill us.
- Sarah: Wow...who told you that?
- Clementine: A friend. Before you. He's gone though.
- Sarah: Oh. Was he the same age as you too?
- Clementine: No, he was about your dad's age.
- Sarah: Sooo, was he like your dad?
- Clementine: ...I had one but...by the time I found him and my mom after they left me, they were already dead.
- Sarah: Oh...I'm sorry.
Clementine closes her eyes and looks down.
- Clementine: Bad things happen to a lot of people. There's no reason to be sorry.
Sarah gets up from her bed and hugs Clementine, catching her off-guard.
- Sarah: Well then we can fight through them together.
Clementine smiles and hugs Sarah back.