Luke is trying too hard

Okay. I believe Luke is trying to be Nick's "Uncle Pete." Remember when Luke said "don't be like that man" in episode 1 meaning that he subconsciously thought of him as a grown man, but now Uncle Pete is dead and Luke saw how that effected Nick. Now suddenly Luke is saying "I'm worried about that kid." I think that was important since Pete says "I love that stupid kid." Another example that Telltale is hinting that Luke is trying to be Nick's "Uncle Pete" is when Luke says the same thing to Clem that Pete says inside the truck about looking out for Nick. Luke has also been on Nick's case lately (Nick mentions that Luke has been on his case the whole week when Luke and Nick were arguing about shooting Matthew) just like how Uncle Pete was always on Nick's case. Luke thinks that since Nick is so distraught about losing Uncle Pete that he should take that role on with Nick to help him.

That whole knife situation is something that Luke probably thought that was something Pete would've wanted him to do since Luke has known Pete before the apocalypse. Luke is trying to protect Nick, but he's going at it the wrong way. Nick just needs to explain this to Luke.

The thing is, Luke believes that Nick's last anchor was Uncle Pete so he's trying to be just like him, but what he fails to realize is that HE'S Nick's last anchor. The sooner Luke realizes this, the sooner Luke can drop the whole "Uncle Pete" act and just be himself with Nick.

I know that most of you may only feel bad for Nick, but I actually feel bad for both of them. Luke's trying his best to be something that he's not (Uncle Pete). Nick is the victim of Luke trying too hard to protect him. Nick needs his friend Luke, not another "Uncle Pete." Luke just needs to realize this, that's all. Don't forget, Pete was hard on Luke too.

Comments

• edited April 2014

Luke didn't approach the situation the wrong way: even if Nick was honest, if it wasn't for Clem being there, Nick would be toast. Honesty isn't always the best policy, especially when it concerns killing someone's husband/partner.

• edited April 2014

I'm not talking about the way he approached the situation with Walter. I'm talking about the way he's going at taking care of Nick. He should be Nick's friend not his guardian.

Luke didn't approach the situation the wrong way: even if Nick was honest, if it wasn't for Clem being there, Nick would be toast. Honesty isn't always the best policy, especially when it concerns killing someone's husband/partner.

• edited April 2014

Nick needs some kind of guidance, or else he may just indeed give up. A friend is needed for support, but if Nick has no person to guide him, a friend's support means nothing. Luke should at least help him along being somewhat of a mentor. Nick needs guidance and support, something Luke can do his best to provide and what Clem can also do.

I'm not talking about the way he approached the situation with Walter. I'm talking about the way he's going at taking care of Nick. He should be Nick's friend not his guardian.

• You're absolutely right, but I feel that he's acting too much like Uncle Pete. Luke is trying too hard to be like Uncle Pete when he should just be himself. Luke can guide Nick and still be his friend. Luke thinks that Nick's last anchor was Uncle Pete so he's trying to be just like him, but what he fails to realize is that HE'S Nick's last anchor. The sooner Luke realizes this, the sooner Luke can drop the act and just be himself with Nick.

Nick needs some kind of guidance, or else he may just indeed give up. A friend is needed for support, but if Nick has no person t

• Thanks for making it into a thread. :)

• Or Luke is just the worst friend.

• Nice you made the thread C:

• I agree. Also to add, I usually call other people 'kid' no matter how old they are. I don't know why I say 'kid' sometimes (instead of 'guy' or whatever) but it's not to dignify that the person I'm talking about is a child but that I use it as another term for 'guy' sometimes (I usually say 'guy' though)
    Ex. Instead of saying "Haha I like that guy" I sometimes say "Haha I like that kid".
    Nothing I say is against the person it's just something that slips out sometimes.

• A pointless thread.

Nice you made the thread C:

• Yup because your threads about how much you hate Luke were totally necessary.

A pointless thread.

• edited April 2014

Leave him alone. He is just a blind Kenny fan.

I like better Luke, but i like Kenny too. This thing unbelievable? People can like both of them? Both of them are good character. I hope they work together in the episode 3. This is the only chance against Carver.

Mr_Eeuss posted: »

Yup because your threads about how much you hate Luke were totally necessary.

• Not to mention how Nick says Luke would always say 'Nick, we're burning daylight' and in the truck scene Pete says 'We're burning daylight.'

• At least I have valid arguments.

Mr_Eeuss posted: »

Yup because your threads about how much you hate Luke were totally necessary.

• Okay so what does that prove?

JakeSt123 posted: »

Not to mention how Nick says Luke would always say 'Nick, we're burning daylight' and in the truck scene Pete says 'We're burning daylight.'

• The title doesn't make any sense! Change it!

• There I changed it. Better?

The title doesn't make any sense! Change it!

• Good theory. I'm not sure I agree with the notion that Luke is trying to be Nick's new 'Uncle Pete', but I think he's sort of at a loss.

After all, let's remember that Luke has already seen Nick after losing his Mom. Given how he reacted when Uncle Pete died, it's pretty safe to guess that he kinda lost it after that too. Pete was Nick's last anchor, so Luke probably realizes that the poor bastard is a self-destructive timebomb.

• Don't listen to the troll, change it back

There I changed it. Better?

• I'm still pissed that Nick shot Matthew. I told that guy to stay back, and what does that mofo do? He comes up and causes chaos. I understand that he wanted to help protect us and all, but when people tell you to stay back, you stay the fuck back. Also, why didn't he help when Clementine had to fight the freaks while Luke was trapped? That would've been helpful.

• No you don't.

At least I have valid arguments.

• Interesting, I never thought of it this way but it definitely adds up. I wonder how the knife situation with Walter would have gone if Pete were there as well.

• What annoys me is that Luke just dismissed him. He could've been more careful about his words; instead of saying 'You stay here with the group' he could've said 'You stay and protect the group'. That would've made Nick feel better about his position and not make him feel like he was grouped with pregnant Rebecca, tons-of-fun Alvin, sheltered Sarah and the genius that is Carlos.

I'm still pissed that Nick shot Matthew. I told that guy to stay back, and what does that mofo do? He comes up and causes chaos. I

• Yes, the situation most definitely could have been handled better. But, if I was Nick, I would have stayed back and protected the rest of the group, just like I was told to. I still don't understand, though. If Nick followed them, why didn't he help Clementine fight off the walkers while Luke was trapped?

JakeSt123 posted: »

What annoys me is that Luke just dismissed him. He could've been more careful about his words; instead of saying 'You stay here wi

• Kenny fans trying too hard.

• The group was suppose to be on the look out for a signal. My guess is they may have seen the trouble with the Walkers and once it seemed like things were going south (Luke still struggling and Clem almost falling off herself) they decided to come help. By the time they got there the danger was over and Luke/Clem were engaging Matthew.

I'm still pissed that Nick shot Matthew. I told that guy to stay back, and what does that mofo do? He comes up and causes chaos. I

• Just SHUT UP, ALREADY!

Cluke4Life posted: »

Kenny fans trying too hard.

• Talking with Matthew, each time I've played through that part, Matthew is calm and has his gun hanging clearly across his back. Why didn't Nick just yell out to Clem and Luke?

Night_Owl posted: »

The group was suppose to be on the look out for a signal. My guess is they may have seen the trouble with the Walkers and once it

• Yeah, i know. Honestly, i don't really feel bad for Nick... I love him a lot, and i actually started to love Luke the same way. I feel bad that Nick doesn't know how much Luke and the others love him, because i know that at least Luke LOVES him for real. And Luke, i know he only wants to protect the only one close to him, the only family he has left, but he needs to understand Nick isn't a kid anymore. What Nick needs is his friend back to restore his sanity, not someone to remind him of what he's lost and what he isn't. This is only my opinion, of course. But i love them both a lot. I think, i HOPE, that, those who saved Nick, would get the option to bond them back together, to explain it to them. Because i believe Clem is the key to them being able to support each other again. I really do. And i want it so badly, it hurts me on the inside... In the feels... I think players should have the option to either bond them back together, push them even further apart, or stay out of it. Just throwing it out there.

Again, that's only me.

• Thanks for making this thread. I think Luke doesn't really know how he should deal with Nick so he's trying to emulate Uncle Pete, but he's not Uncle Pete, so the things he does and says come off as patronizing and hurtful and it's just not helping Nick at all.

• edited April 2014

Actually, he has his gun in his hands the whole time. But it seems like Nick may have been too far away to hear Luke's warning so when Matthew raised his gun he assumed the worst from Luke's gestures.

Talking with Matthew, each time I've played through that part, Matthew is calm and has his gun hanging clearly across his back. Why didn't Nick just yell out to Clem and Luke?

• Hypocrite. First you tell him not to listen to me then you tell him to change the title. Hypocrite!

Don't listen to the troll, change it back

• I lol'ed hard.

At least I have valid arguments.

• Yes I do.

No you don't.

• Guys, let's be honest. We all know that Clementine is Nick's uncle Pete.

• edited April 2014

I think that it's important that we acknowledge that Luke is trying. Also that doesn't make any sense since Luke was dealing with Nick just fine when his mom died, but now acts like Uncle Pete after Pete's death. Nick needs to talk to Luke about this. Luke is trying his best to care for Nick, but Nick needs to sit down with Luke and explain that he wants his friend back, not another Pete.

skoothz posted: »

Thanks for making this thread. I think Luke doesn't really know how he should deal with Nick so he's trying to emulate Uncle Pete,

• I couldn't agree with you more. Those are all excellent points and I do hope that the people who saved Nick can keep him until the end and not just kill him off in the next episode. I still don't understand why some people are saying that Luke is a bad friend.

Azlyn posted: »

Yeah, i know. Honestly, i don't really feel bad for Nick... I love him a lot, and i actually started to love Luke the same way. I

• I KNOW!

I mean, i feel like Telltale is evolving, so i hope that means we will get to... Keep Nick and maybe some other characters alive? I really hope so.

Luke is not a bad friend. he is just not experienced with this. When you only have a guy as family, in the apocalypse, you tend to protect him with all your might. I understand him and start to love him EXACTLY because of that, because i feel like i would be the same.

I couldn't agree with you more. Those are all excellent points and I do hope that the people who saved Nick can keep him until the

• Luke doesn't have a family and now neither does Nick. I think Luke is struggling with how to deal with Nick. He kind of brushed off Nick's troubles onto Clementine when he told her to keep an eye on him, but he does genuinely like Nick and wants to keep him safe for sure. But Luke is trying.

• Well, like Nick said Luke gave him a clear shot, as he was waving his hands around which is clearly a distress signal. Luke should have been more thoughtful.

• Fair points
    But IMO what luke is doing is a realistic approach to this situation when a loved one dies there's two types of people the depressed (nick) and the ones who stay strong (luke) after a loved one dies somebody tries to full the void that thy left behind
    To back up the strong statement remember that nick stated that luke always had that trait to keep moving on a trait that nick doesn't have to me that means that after a loved one dies luke (while possibly depressed about it) doesn't let it hinder him and does his best to honor that person
    Another example is when he was talking to Clem about how he lost his folks he didn't sound depressed but just more accepting that he lost them but he'll never forget them

Sign in to comment in this discussion.