Telltale Autumn Sale

People finally starting to wake up and accept that working on 4 games at once is hurting TWDSeason2?

Comments

• edited May 2014
    Why? Because JOBS and JOB SECURITY.

It's not hard people.

Also GOT, as they put it, is their "dream project". I personally can't wait for it.
    BenUseful posted: »

I want to ask, who actually wanted TOTBL or GOT Telltale games? And more importantly, why are they being made while they have 2 other currently running games? Couldn't they have seen the consequences of having people work on other things mid-season?

• Cant wait for the GOT game but could careless about TOTBL. I would rather just play boarder lands than a ttg gameplay styled BL, sounds like a lame excuse for money Im not even going to touch it -.-.

I can see a GOT game working well since they have 3000 years worth of lore to work with for the story but I would rather just watch the HBO show or read the book if their just going to make episodes as short as season 2 of TWD episodes.

I want to ask, who actually wanted TOTBL or GOT Telltale games? And more importantly, why are they being made while they have 2 other currently running games? Couldn't they have seen the consequences of having people work on other things mid-season?

• I always said this, and I will keep saying it until they wake up.
  • I agree, Russell basically acted like Nate talking to Clem, the only one that seem nice was Vince.
  • Who wanted a Wallace & Gromit game? Who wanted a Back to the Future Game? I'll not list their entire back catalogue but you can make exactly the same question of Walking Dead & Wolf Among Us.

• Thank you :)
    ravensep posted: »

GOUSTTTT is a nice guy, dont hold anything against him. As much as downvotes expresses disagreement it also is an instrument for t

• Honestly I'd probably still go with Luke... :[
  • I think it's because of how powerful that one word can be. That, and the exclamation point at the end really just ties it all together.

HOW IN THE FUCK! Did you get twenty three upvotes for this?!

• SHIT GOT REAL
    TWDFan86 posted: »

Holy shit, Clem_is_awesome! Now you have 132 people and counting who agree with you! Last time I checked it was like 30 upvotes or something :P

• edited May 2014
    I just thought I post something here that's relevant to Carver and how choices matter.

In the office when talking to Carver it would be interesting if he asked Clem who her caretaker was, since he knows that Clem was never a part of the cabin group before. Here's your choices...

a) There was this man named Lee.
    b) A woman named Christa.
    c) It doesn't matter.
    d) ...

If you choose a) Clem would describe Lee to Carver, and depending your actions when being as Lee, her description of his character is different, with Carver either liking the sound of him or say he's "interesting". For b) she will talk about Christa and learn about the baby a little, and if you mentioned Christa back at the Cabin, Carver will make note of that. If it's c) Carver tells Clem that everything matters, the choices those people made influenced her, mad her strong. For d) Carver will respond that she's gotta learn to speak up if she wants to fit in.

Yeah just something I felt would've made the office scene more interesting.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    Agreed with Morninglightmountain here. When The Walking Dead was first announced, the then Telltale fanbase was seriously underwhelmed. But even they knew that Telltale couldn't go on making Seasons for the same franchise again and again. The company catches the rising stars among the franchises and will silently abandon them when they sink. It was always like that - and will always be like that.

As to the idea that TftB or GoT "are being made" while two other series are running, please refer to my previous post in this thread. The Telltale franchise pipeline is huge and could comprise two dozen franchises easily, most of which we don't know about. There are concepts for an infinite amount of Telltale games and there's always work on their engine. All this must happen while other games are in active development. Telltale can't just begin a totally new conceptual stage once one Season is done. Their games would be released several years apart.

• edited May 2014
    I couldn't give less of a rat's ass about Borderlands, but Game of Thrones is a perfect fit for Telltale and I can't wait to play it. I just wish it was based on the Song of Ice and Fire books and not the TV show.

On the other hand, I'd be much more excited about it if I thought it would resemble the gameplay and length of TWD Season 1 rather than TWD Season 2.

• edited May 2014
    Maybe Im a huge dumbass who's overlooking a lot but I think this was the best episode in recent memory, You cant just say its bad because it dropped story arks. The game isnt done yet when it is if they still havent completed those arks, then you can whine about it.
  • Vince and Shell.
    Bygler posted: »

I agree, Russell basically acted like Nate talking to Clem, the only one that seem nice was Vince.

• "Even people on facebook"
    Hahaha :-D
    TWDFan86 posted: »

Even people on Facebook are complaining about the length: ---> facebook.com/telltalegames/photos/a.402424398596.179515.11530858596/10152111371263597/?type=1

• This thread makes me feel sad for telltale and makes me think that this awesome game is going in a bad way...
  • edited May 2014
    True. I really looked forward on interacting with Vince, but all I got was the urge to slap Becca in her bratty face.
    (Still disappointed that they chose Bonnie as the main connector to 400 Days. I'm praying really hard that we will see more of the others - including Eddie, since we can already see him on the EP4 preview picture)
    Alive_Clem posted: »

Vince and Shell.

• same, I can't bring myself to blame him :(
    Mergoat posted: »

Honestly I'd probably still go with Luke... :[

• Hopefully :/
    goodcop2 posted: »

this . kevin bruner(founder of telltale) is a user on reddit and i think he will see your thread

• i hope ttg staffs see this
  • Im sure some have seen it. The question is, are they going to take it into consideration?
    privatejoe posted: »

i hope ttg staffs see this

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator
    edited May 2014
    I really enjoyed this episode and it is one of my favorites, but it could have been so much better if it was longer so we could get some interaction with the 400 days characters and a longer showdown with Carver. Like Clem_is_awesome said we never found out about George (unless Rebecca tell us about him in episode 4) and they hyped the 400 days characters who only got brief cameos and hyped Carver up to be a scary villain but he we took him out relatively easy.

I have faith in Telltale to deliver two more great episodes but they do need to hear our views otherwise they will never improve their games. They take feedback into consideration while they are making the season so they could make some changes, so we shouldn't stay quiet if we are unhappy, they need criticism in order to make improvements.
    Mr.Montego posted: »

Maybe Im a huge dumbass who's overlooking a lot but I think this was the best episode in recent memory, You cant just say its bad

• The general consensus for a lot of seems to be:

A) It was an awesome episode and a great deal of fun.

B) It could have been even better, and by a large margin, if they would just stop rushing things and give both characters and plot time to develop properly.

The two views are not mutually exclusive.
    Mr.Montego posted: »

Maybe Im a huge dumbass who's overlooking a lot but I think this was the best episode in recent memory, You cant just say its bad

• bump
  • edited May 2014
    There was little issue with the Carver character. He showed up and served his purpose quickly. The show could learn from him. He was definitely shown to be smart, and he's shown to have a propensity for brutal violence. Did you REALLY want a bad guy antagonist to stick around for 2 more episodes? This setting doesn't need antagonists. Even the Stranger was effectively a non character. I figure his purpose was to make the player want to see him dead. The whole episode was leading up to the stay or leave decision, and it was the first decision that really had an emotional impact on me this season, so I'd say it was quite well done in that regard.

As for the 400 days characters, I don't really mind the fact that they simply had minor cameos, the only thing I mind is the blatant lying from Telltale staff on Twitter about how much they would effect the story. It's unrealistic to expect *5* different determinant characters to have more than a few lines, or to stick around.

The 3rd point about plot points being introduced and promptly forgotten is what actually concerns me. I get the feeling that this season is going to end with a ton of unanswered questions, whereas season 1 was all neat and tidy, with the only questions being related to the final 30 minutes - as you'd expect from a good ending.

Also, the fact that there's no variance to the way characters react to the PC this time around. There's no Lily, Ben or Kenny, who can have vastly different relationships with the PC depending on what you do. Everythings the same. I'm OK with the fact that the protagonist needs to be consistent for the story to make sense, and it was the same with Lee - but that's why you change the way OTHER CHARACTERS react to the PC rather than the PC's personality. S2 just doesn't even try.

As for the 90 minute thing, that's just due to the lack of 'gameplay' portions. Season 1 would be about this long too if you eliminated all the walking around figuring out what to do. I'm totally OK with the lack of 'gameplay' because if I wanted gameplay I wouldn't be playing a game entirely based around its story.
  • > but that's why you change the way OTHER CHARACTERS react to the PC rather than the PC's personality. S2 just doesn't even try.

**(?) Carlos will remember that you are not to be trusted.** No, he won't. **(?) Rebecca will remember that you are a gonna be a fucking problem.** My ass. **(?) Alvin will remember that you blackmailed him.** Nah, he's glad you're with them, Clementine. **(?) Nick will remember where the fucking river is.** Huh, that is actually true.

I agree with that. For all the talk of choice and branching, your "relationships" with the cast are set for you, never to change. The only one who seems to react differently is Nick, after he shoots Matt and thanks you for having his back or is a tad mad you didn't. And that was back in Episode 2, when he was a character and not a piece of the scenery.

> I'm totally OK with the lack of 'gameplay' because if I wanted gameplay I wouldn't be playing a game entirely based around its story.

But don't you remember many of those gameplay portions was also the time we got to talk to our cast? Your previous point casts light on some of the problem, but I would argue that there is barely any kind of relationship between the cast and the protagonist other than acquaintances at this point, save for Kenny and maybe Luke and Nick. Part of the time in which you noticed the characters reacting to you and your actions was in those slow segments.
    zyoxo posted: »

There was little issue with the Carver character. He showed up and served his purpose quickly. The show could learn from him. H

• edited May 2014
    > But don't you remember many of those gameplay portions was also the time we got to talk to our cast? Your previous point casts light on some of the problem, but I would argue that there is barely any kind of relationship between the cast and the protagonist other than acquaintances at this point, save for Kenny and maybe Luke and Nick. Part of the time in which you noticed the characters reacting to you and your actions was in those slow segments.

This is true, but I would argue that if dialogue that involves important character development such as the way a character perceives the PC is gated behind optional conversations, then that was the wrong place to put it. For example, if you saved Carley and then missed talking to her at the start of episode 3, then you would have no idea that she & Lee had a thing going.

There was at least one "walk around and talk to people" segment in episode 3, so that's a start at least. And none of the conversations there were significant - and that would be totally fine, because they should just be small bites of dialogue for those that want to see it. The character shifts should be developed in the main story, but unfortunately they're just not there at all, and I don't think the 90 minute format has anything to do with it.

> but that's why you change the way OTHER CHARACTERS react to the PC rather than the PC's personality. S2 just doesn't even try

• > This is true, but I would argue that if dialogue that involves important character development such as the way a character perceives the PC is gated behind optional conversations, then that was the wrong place to put it.

Ok, how would you do it? Put conversation the way *All That Remains* did it after Carlos patched Clem's arm up? A series of encounters with the cast presented in the cutscene? I guess that could work.

Of course, putting more emphasis during main story points on how a character perceives you is important, ala Kenny/Lilly scene in the meat locker "You've always had my back Lee..."

> For example, if you saved Carley and then missed talking to her at the start of episode 3, then you would have no idea that she & Lee had a thing going.

I saw that as a reward for players caring about the characters they were surviving with, but ok. I think that sense of freedom to talk to whoever you wanted to was good. Maybe you did not want to hear your current foil's shit at the moment (be it Larry, Lilly, Kenny), but wanted to have a chat with a good friend, or check up on Clementine. Or maybe you did want to hear it all. There was a choice.

The point that I am trying to make here is: That small measure of interactivity was in itself a choice that was presented to you, and that in some cases served to change your perspective on some characters or simply made you appreciate them more as characters. None of those conversations were forced upon you (save for *A New Day*), you had the freedom to choose who to talk to and your playthrough was almost always richer for it.

I do believe that Telltale is underestimating the subtle but present, what to call them, I guess benefits or potential of the simplest of interactive elements, and how can they help players' immersion. Of course, I seem to be in the minority, and cannot speak for everyone.

>There was at least one "walk around and talk to people" segment in episode 3, so that's a start at least. And none of the conversations there were significant - and that would be totally fine, because they should just be small bites of dialogue for those that want to see it.

If reduced to that, let them at least be substantial bits of dialogue. You had like 4 options per character back in S1, I would personally like that.
    zyoxo posted: »

> But don't you remember many of those gameplay portions was also the time we got to talk to our cast? Your previous point cast

• And maybe they *have* taken into consideration, then the next question is: Are they going to do something about it?

Im sure some have seen it. The question is, are they going to take it into consideration?

• Nice idea. :)

I just thought I post something here that's relevant to Carver and how choices matter. In the office when talking to Carver i

• great idead;)

I just thought I post something here that's relevant to Carver and how choices matter. In the office when talking to Carver i

• let me just put this out. I thought that maybe this guy lasted till episode 4, carver, but this is the type of villain you cant just take a half measure you half to go full. and lets be honest how can there be much hubs when you have bitches like troy watching your ass every damn second. you couldn't roam much since you were mmmmmhh....... what did tavia said???? prisoners. you cant really do much. yes fucking 90 mins sucks and hopefully TT does whats right and gives us at least 2 hours worth.
  • Same here, I'm more interested in GoT than Borderlands.

I couldn't give less of a rat's ass about Borderlands, but Game of Thrones is a perfect fit for Telltale and I can't wait to play

• Put it simply season 2 won't surpass season 1, while still very enjoyable and great season it's lacking in areas that made season 1 goty.
  • Maybe so. But these are just assumptions. I thought that the episode was as good as any TWD episode is gonna get.
  • Known history? Really? Besides screwing up on release dates you mean? That's not lying that's just not using their time wisely. They said about 7 months ago on Reddit that they were currently only working on TWAU and TWD. Game of Thrones hasn't been started on yet and Borderlands has a tiny, tiny team working on the foundations of the project so as soon as the previous two games are done they can move people to that project to finish it.

Besides, Telltale has about 120 or so people right? Why would they lie about that? Also can you specifically name a specific instance where they lied? Again, that FAQ was never made by Telltale that was a fan thing so don't link to that.
    cameroncr95 posted: »

...and you expect to believe Telltale after they have a known history of lying to their fans?

• I can stand behind the Original post 100%.
  • Probably just say "Haha nope, we're still getting great reviews so piss off"

And maybe they *have* taken into consideration, then the next question is: Are they going to do something about it?

• The only thing that i disagree are about the things that "should be solved". We don't need all this answers. We just need well-developed things. I don't really care who killed Roman and those "thugs" and many other things, but, like u said, i care for the complete change of attitude of Rebecca. Not a well-developed thing. A thing that just changed from one episode to the other.
  • It lacks 98% of what made Season 1 so great. The rest 2% are Clem and Kenny which are already present in Season 2
    SonEdo posted: »

Put it simply season 2 won't surpass season 1, while still very enjoyable and great season it's lacking in areas that made season 1 goty.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.