User Avatar Image

The Sam & Max Universe

posted by Skippy the Demon on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users
Do all of the characters from the games, cartoons and comics live in the same "world"? Cuz it seems like each of them have their own Villains and support characters. Surely I'm not the only one who picked up on this, I'm just curious if Steve Purcell has ever talked about this. I really don't care if they're all separated... I just would like to know.

I'll give some examples... like Lorne "The Friend For Life"~ isn't in the comics or any of the games (that I know of). Well wait I was writing that sentence and thought that Mack Salmon is in the comics and the cartoon. I DUNNO! I would just like someone to help me clear this up because lately its been bugging me.
28 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • That kind of carryover is made difficult by the fact that Hit the Road, the animated series and the recent game series were made by different companies, who can't use each other's material without risking a lawsuit. So the official line will always be that these three are separate continuities all building on the original comics (which were licensed by all of them); besides what's in the comics, the sharing is limited to some references here and there.

That said, some of these references can be pretty blatant, like Bosco and Jesse James' severed hand. There's some effort going on to give the impression that it's all tied together. But officially, never.
  • Ok, I didnt think that they were all different since they are based on the same core material (re the comics), but now that you mention it that does shine a new light on this. Its cool and sucks at the same time, because they each have their own cool shit... it'd be neat if they could use each others creations in every medium. Anyways thank you... I hadn't thought of Lawsuits.
  • User Avatar Image
    Jake Telltale Alumni
    Sam & Max isn't really about that sort of continuity. (Even Sam & Max forget that they're in anything resembling a continuous universe most of the time!) I don't think any of the comic books had any common characters or places beyond Sam and Max, the DeSoto, the Commissioner, (sometimes Flint Paper), and their office. That's largely been the case in all the other mediums as well. The cartoons and Telltale's games have their own continuity within themselves, but beyond that, all that they have in common with each other, the comics, or Hit the Road are the above mentioned Sam and Max, the DeSoto, the Commissioner, (Flint) and their office. (Bonus points to the Mack Salmon storyline including Commander Blip and the Rubber Pants Commandos for managing to make the crossover from the comics to the cartoon, but they're an exception.)
  • The Rubber Pants Commandos are the best.
  • Jake;99037 said:
    (Bonus points to the Mack Salmon storyline including Commander Blip and the Rubber Pants Commandos for managing to make the crossover from the comics to the cartoon, but they're an exception.)
    Now is that because they were part of the core material? Much like how Telltales has Flint Paper in Season 2? I dunno theres just so many great characters its a damn shame they all cant be in all the games/shows/comics... but again I understand that they cant due to companies suing, again thanks for telling me why, because I was just baffled why they were all separated.
  • You don't need contuity to have a good show. Just look at Chowder.
  • That makes me miss "the Geek". She was such a great character.
  • StinkomanFan;99128 said:
    You don't need contuity to have a good show.
    Yes I know this... I was just wondering why they didn't reference each other, I shoulda known it was legal issues... they seem to mess up everything anymore. I would've liked to seen more Lorne "The Friend for Life"~, because I think its funny when they sing that. I seriously crack up each time I hear it. But yeah alot of shows and comics don't have continuity and are great! Much like Sam & Max, they can keep bringing in new characters and keep it fresh for a long time.
  • Maxilyah;99212 said:
    That makes me miss "the Geek". She was such a great character.
    Really? I read the comics and played the first game before watching the series. So I always thought 'the Geek' was kinda annoying. Too "saturday-morning-children's-cartoon"-ish for my tastes.

Although I never got the same problem with the other new characters (except the Soda Poppers).

No, who I really miss was Mac Salmon, now that was a great villain.
  • User Avatar Image
    Jake Telltale Alumni
    I'm always amused by Mack Salmon's staying power. He was was around for like four pages out of all of the Sam & Max comics, and maybe two half-episodes of the cartoon. He was never in a game, but people always ask for him to return. I'd like it if he did at some point, but there'd have to be a good reason, I imagine.
Add Comment