User Avatar Image

Make Max more furry and less 3d

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 3.4K users
I really can't wait till the release of the new Sam & Max game.

Only thing bothering me though is that the characters seem to be so metallic and shiny. Especially Max has that 3D-look that I don't think fits. I mean, he's a furry animal, not a glossy 3d prototype model.

Okay, I know that his design is inspired from the comics and the old pixel art game, where he is all white and beige. That look does IMO look better in 2d, and I think it would be nice if you could put a couple of other structures on the characters in this new game, so that you get a better feel for them. You don't have to add fur, as in Monster Inc., only something that gives a less plastic look.

Try to find a more coarse and neutral look on the characters, and my happiness would be complete!
35 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    Well, the mistake from telltale is wanting to make the game 3D. I'd rather pay my game a few more buck and wait longer time between episodes than having an ugly looking 3D game. I mean, it's so terrible looking on pictures and so static when moving... It just does not fit with the Sam & Max universe. On a given resolution, 3D will never ever ever be as beautiful as 2D. Ok, 3D is less expensive, but hell, better a good looking game a bit expensive than a cheap game you won't be able to enjoy.

If the game is going to be episodic, why won't telltale make just *one* short episode in 2D once the game is launched and see how popular it will be and how well it sale just to be sure that it won't sell so much that "game earning less game cost" is better with 2D ?
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    I just hope that they add the option to change the resolution this time. I mean the Bone games look great anti aliased and all, on a regular monitor, put when you play them on a largeish flat screen they tend to get that blown up look if you don't run it at atleast 1280 by 1024.
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    Bah, in 3D you can force whatever resolution you wish, 2D is rescaled and 3D rendered in higher resolution. Even if it's not in the game (which is highly doubltful) geeks will manage with that.
  • To play any future Sam & Max episodes in 2D, wear an eyepatch.
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    Am I the only one who finds the 3D art appealing? I think it's a very successful translation into the third dimension. In terms of furiness- I like the flat shading too. In fact, I'm pleased to see they've lost some of the ugly texture details from the shots from the LucasArts version- did you notice the grainy mess in Sam's fur on those shots? Also the lip-sync seems smoother now, like Sam's jaw is rigged a little better to move for some of those sounds.
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    I'm with you, I think they both look pretty much perfect. Max's teeth, in particular, were something that freaked me out about the Freelance Police version. I hope there's the same quality of lighting in the games (I remember seeing the engine being mentioned as capable of HDR somewhere...), because I think that may be contributing to just how good they both look.
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    The 3d looks fine to me. I don't really pay much attention to graphics unless they are just really bad and painful to the eyes, and these are not ;) . Also, I don't recall max being THAT fluffy looking, so how does him in 3d look bad.
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    -= Dear God - I hope the developers will be reading this post [[-o<] =-
    (maybe I should be swearing to make sure I get their attention :D - anyway...

I don't like the look of Bone, I didn't like the look of Grim Fandango or MI4 (not to mention the controls in MI4 - my god!) :( That's the sole reason why I haven't bought any of telltale games' titles.

I simply do not like the plastic coated look that has been dominating 3D AGs to date - and I really think it is too bad, because it really keeps me from seeing the charm and personality of the characters.
    I think that even in the old days, which I know will never return, the very pixellized characters had more charm than now, because back then, the graphical representation of most AGs far exeeded the overall "realism" (or whatever) of other types of games (shoot-em-ups, sims, action, etc.).

Nowadays, the developers of AGs often have to slim down the game requirements (probably based on extensive market research - I hope). This means that they have to use basic shaders and that sort of stuff - Only, IMHO, maybe they shouldn't.

Many of you may not know the game "Sheep Dog 'n Wolf". When I tried this game back in 2001, I thought to myself: "Now there is a successful comic adaptation! Best ever, to be completely honest."
    I think the engine concept (perhaps strongly updated and modified for the specific task) would be great for many of the future AGs of these times as it would allow the designers to REALLY bring back the charm to comic based AGs (non-human characters). The character animations are really funny and it is simply a great game! (although, by now maybe a bit out of date)
    Take a look at <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.hardwaretidende.dk/hard/artikel/01/09/21/4625949">this link (the actual game looks better than the screenshots) and this link.

If you are interrested in seeing the game in action, you can download it here .

I will never give up hoping.
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    I like the 3D look (sorry guys! [:">] ) - It took a while for LucasArts to sell it to me (along with the control system), but Grim Fandango was so good (escape from Monkey Island was just okay) that I was a little pissed at having to go back to point and click with bone.

Besides, it looks pretty much like the 'original' LucasArts sequel would have looked, (which was also in 3D) at least judging by the ads of the time.

Again, for me, a low polycount is fine, as long as the textures and stylisation works (ala WoW)

I'd rather move forward with the times than stick too much to nostalgia (will I get flamed for that?) [~:>]
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    I don't think we've seen enough to make much in the way of informed comments about the game's visual style. I can say though, that outside of Hit the Road (which is probably as much for pragmatic reasons as anything) and the TV series perhaps (which is probably more the nature of the medium than a definitive decision), Sam & Max have never really had a cell shaded type look when in seen in colour. They're almost always more 3 dimensionally shaded looking than just being flat colours. I have to admit, I can't see this plasticcy look on what little Telltale have released so far either. As for charm, it's too early to judge; once we've seen some in-game screenshots, then we can start complaining.
Add Comment