User Avatar Image

Yep, TMI looks much worse than EMI.

posted by HoppyDragon on - last edited - Viewed by 4.1K users
I keep reading in comments on some of the news stories about Tales of Monkey Island that the graphics look worse than Escape from Monkey Island. I wouldn't care if they really did, but just for the sake of proving them wrong, let's compare.

"Escape from Monkey Island": Guybrush & Elaine

"Tales of Monkey Island": Guybrush & Elaine
108 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Is that an image from the "secret forum" ?
  • xChri5x;129072 said:
    Is that an image from the "secret forum" ?
    I believe it's from the secret wallpaper Jake posted there, heh. Just realized that too, but it was the only thing I could find that had the two of them together.
  • Some gameplay shots as well, just to erase any doubt.

Whereas EMI is bland and drab, with horrid textures, TMI is bright and colorful, with much nicer texturing.
  • If we look at CMI, though...

But yeah, that's an unfair comparison... 2D is a thing of the past.

I think TMI looks pretty damn good, better than I would have expected. Telltale did a very good job on that, I don't know where people get the "EMI looks better" from.. makes no sense.
  • Armakuni;129078 said:
    2D is a thing of the past.

http://adventuregamers.com/gallery.php?id=1489
  • Armakuni;129078 said:
    I think TMI looks pretty damn good, better than I would have expected. Telltale did a very good job on that, I don't know where people get the "EMI looks better" from.. makes no sense.
    People just want to complain I guess. Some of the textures in Telltale's games aren't of the highest quality, but the advances in 3D since EMI's release really shine through and make a difference for TMI. Plus, it's fricken' widescreen!

I really like the way TMI looks. I'll admit the trailer for it at first seems a bit underwhelming, but from the screenshots, footage from the rest of the trailer, and some small bits of gameplay I saw during a interview with Dave Grossman at E3, it looks really good, and I dig Guybrush's look.
  • Secret Fawful;129076 said:
    Some gameplay shots as well, just to erase any doubt.

Whereas EMI is bland and drab, with horrid textures, TMI is bright and colorful, with much nicer texturing.
    Do bare in mind that Melee island itself is dark and dreary (at all times) so to compare another island as being bright and colorful doesn't quite fit to compare the two games together....though I quite agree that TMI does look better from what I've seen than EMI....though nothing can beat MI2 in my mind...give me that any day of the week it looked awesome...and never let it be said that the artistic value of CMI was any less.
  • All the 2D Monkey Island games (1,2,3) look a billion times better than EMI and TMI combined.
  • turingmachine604;129085 said:
    All the 2D Monkey Island games (1,2,3) look a billion times better than EMI and TMI combined.
    It's all a matter of preference, and given how timeless 2D has become in this 3D world, it's a given that people will like the 2D more.
Add Comment