User Avatar Image

Can we ever re-capture the happiness of youth?

posted by Shanksworthy on - last edited - Viewed by 1K users
I remember when I was young, how the LucasArts adventures and especially SoMI provided epic levels of escapism for me. But it recently occured to me that I may be just over-romanticizing the *memory* of how much I enjoyed it...

Does anybody think that it's possible to re-capture the epic enjoyment we remember getting from our first MI experience, or do you think that's just an exercise in "chasing the dragon"? Thoughts...?
47 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Yes, it's entirely possible.
  • No, youth is youth. Those memories will remain unparalleled forever: just the fact that you'll keep comparing all your future experiences to a myhtic personal past should be enough to make you understand that nothing can be comparable to youth.
    Anyway, you can't stop chasing that dragon. And that's the best you can do.
  • I hope JackBurtonMe is right. I wasn't able to recreate that enjoyment with CMI, and even less with EMI. And although TTG's subsequent adventure games have provided me with some fun time-wasting puzzly goodness, they have not succeeded in re-capturing the magic either.

For example, Sam & Max episodes feel to me like shallow stories, repetitive settings, and dialog that consists of nothing but disposable one-liners. That's not an insult -- I think that's the intention of S&M; it's like the 'fast-food' of adventure games. :)

The point is though, any enjoyment I've gotten out of adventure games released over the past 10 years has been from the puzzles alone. The stories don't seem to do it for me anymore (although I've gotten close to that level of enjoyment with some RPG's I've played). Anyone else?
  • I enjoy things as if I were young again if I stop living in the present and future, and just allow myself to fall face first into whatever it is I am doing. The more self aware we become of who we are in the world, where we are, what we should be doing, what we are doing, the less we can enjoy Escapism . You need to cut your ties to the world , not look back and just fall into this game. Don't try to tear it apart, don't try to judge the quality , just act like a kid, enjoy it for what it is. Kids enjoy things for what they were intended for , action figures, games, adults on the other hand pick things apart , want more out of things, chase after things they once heard about or saw from other adults . A child stays at home, and his toys, entertainment are very important to him, her. Making time for the game, and relaxing durring it is key to having the right mind set in my opinion. Kids have time for anything, and they are by far more relaxed than a burdened adult . Take your time abosrbing the worlds.
  • Shanksworthy;133306 said:
    The point is though, any enjoyment I've gotten out of adventure games released over the past 10 years has been from the puzzles alone. The stories don't seem to do it for me anymore (although I've gotten close to that level of enjoyment with some RPG's I've played). Anyone else?
    I know exactly what you mean. The best story in adventure game I've played in the last 10 years was Syberia in my opinion. Even the average modern RPGs seem to me to have a much better story than some of the good adventure games I've played recently.
  • doodo!;133312 said:
    I enjoy things as if I were young again if I stop living in the present and future, and just allow myself to fall face first into whatever it is I am doing. The more self aware we become of who we are in the world, where we are, what we should be doing, what we are doing, the less we can enjoy Escapism . You need to cut your ties to the world , not look back and just fall into this game. Don't try to tear it apart, don't try to judge the quality , just act like a kid, enjoy it for what it is. Kids enjoy things for what they were intended for , action figures, games, adults on the other hand pick things apart , want more out of things, chase after things they once heard about or saw from other adults . A child stays at home, and his toys, entertainment are very important to him, her. Making time for the game, and relaxing durring it is key to having the right mind set in my opinion. Kids have time for anything, and they are by far more relaxed than a burdened adult . Take your time abosrbing the worlds.
    Quite.
  • Despite of how much i would love to see the old LucasArts games comeback, i would also love to see new original stories coming to life.
    When that happens, i would really feel the old good times are coming back.
  • Shanksworthy;133289 said:
    I remember when I was young, how the LucasArts adventures and especially SoMI provided epic levels of escapism for me. But it recently occured to me that I may be just over-romanticizing the *memory* of how much I enjoyed it...

Does anybody think that it's possible to re-capture the epic enjoyment we remember getting from our first MI experience, or do you think that's just an exercise in "chasing the dragon"? Thoughts...?
    I can relate 100%.

ToMI is the biggest straw Ive had to clutch at though for some time!
  • corruptbiggins;133313 said:
    I know exactly what you mean. The best story in adventure game I've played in the last 10 years was Syberia in my opinion. Even the average modern RPGs seem to me to have a much better story than some of the good adventure games I've played recently.
    I have to agree with this. While the game wasn't flawless, Syberia had a large draw and feeling of magic that I haven't felt from very many adventure games. And for a 3D game that's doing pretty good. The ending was fulfilling and kept that feeling.
  • I want to slightly amend what I said earlier about Syberia - I should have said it's the story was the best in a commercial adventure game. I've just remembered about one of the best adventure games series I've ever played - Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw's John DeFoe Quadrilogy (aka the Chzo Mythos).
Add Comment