User Avatar Image

Do you actually hate escape, or...?

posted by Marduk on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users
(Sorry for starting this thread twice; I made an error when adding the poll in the other one).

I know there's already been a lot of polls asking which is your favourite MI or which is your favourite out of a specific number of games... But I did notice from the replies to the poll that asked which was your preference out of all four titles many people said that while it wasn't their favourite they did enjoy the game.

So it doesn't have to be your favourite I just want to know if you liked it or not.
59 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I very much enjoyed playing it. Of course it wasn't perfect, and some of the puzzles were a bit crazy, but overall, I think it's a solid adventure game. It just had so much to live up to with the previous games, which were just legendary, all 3 of them. You'd have to come up with something pretty special to beat that.

(By the way, I like your avatar, Marduk.)
  • Escape is still a great game in my opinion. Even Monkey Kombat was bearable. It's just unfortante that MK went on for so long. I remember at the time simply being glad there was more Monkey Island for me to play and I still am.
  • (OT); Everybody here seems to have avatars of the coolest things on this site, I thought that if anybody actually said anything about mine it would be mocked or scorned. Thanks :)
  • I loved it as a game, and that it was Monkey Island. It had great Jokes, hard puzzles and was enjoyable.
    Thing is, it is just the weaklink of the MI franchise, it branched away from the normal trends of MI to appeal to more people, and it didn't quite pull off.
    Great game though, just not the greatest.
  • (OT); Everybody here seems to have avatars of the coolest things on this site, I thought that if anybody actually said anything about mine it would be mocked or scorned. Thanks
    But Donald Duck is awesome?
    The best of the Disney characters.
  • I really did like aspects of MI4, and while I didn't initially like the story as an MI game, it's really grown on me. I just think there were aspects which hurt it. The graphics were lazy (particularly talking about bg art here) and Jambalya/Knuttin Atol just felt to me like they'd cut a couple of stages of story development for them. That was just my preference, though. I think as a stand-alone game it was between 3 and 4 stars depending on my mood; as a Monkey Island game it was more like 2 stars because it just didn't feel like a MI game for whatever reason.
  • You've got very limited poll responses!

What about... "It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as the others"? Also, why did you put the word "hate" in your thread title when they isn't any option, either?

Although I disliked EMI, I'm also an adventure game fan and enjoyed playing the puzzles... So does that mean I "liked" it? Yeah, at times, definitely. Does that mean I liked it in terms of MI? No, I didn't really like those terms. So which is it?

As an adventure game: Not bad. As an MI game: Not good.
  • I voted that I enjoyed it, but I didn't really enjoy it... I *loved* it.
  • Escape is definitely the weakest in the series (so far... please don't let us down, Telltale!). I just couldn't get into it like the others. I enjoyed another Lucas game that came out around the same time (and used the same game engine, I believe) quite a bit more: Grim Fandango. Check that one out if you haven't, it's very awesome.
  • Lol, definetly no, I enjoyed it.
Add Comment