User Avatar Image

you have ruined the MI style of dialogue

posted by threepcross on - last edited - Viewed by 2.3K users
the multiple dialogue choices are usually really funny... too bad it has NO relevance what you choose, because Guybrush will always say something else!

what have you done!? you have completely ruined the MI style of dialogue that is so central to the game. I would go as far as calling it one of the most important things with the whole series. and in Tales of Monkey Island, it is a joke. sometimes there are no choices at all. the dialogue goes on without you having a say at all. and when you have choices - they are usually pretty funny - but why bother choosing any, when Guybrush will just say something unfunny anyway? this is ridiculous.

really disappointing! this takes away so much of the joy for me. I'm really almost heartbroken here... you have taken one of my absolute favourite elements of the Monkey Island series and made it a cosmetic gimmick that serves no purpose.

oh well, alt-tabbing back to the game now. I just hope the other stuff weigh up to this catastrophy.
136 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I didnt like the idea initally when I encountered it in Sam & Max, but ultimately it's good in the sense that I don't laugh at what the character is going to say before the voice actor has said it. It's always a pleasant surprise for me.
  • I agree with Nadir. While it's not exactly what's on the choice, it usually carries the same idea to it.
  • Is this a serious topic? Really? You're actually suggesting that what made Monkey Island's dialogue great was that they would repeat the exact line you just read?

I much prefer this set up. It gets extremely redundant when they just keep repeating the exact same line that you just finished reading.
  • You are over-reacting, but I agree to some extent. I've not played far, but when I arrived on the beach it really pissed me off...

There are certainly times when the effect is a good idea however. For example, if guybrush thinks something rude and then doesn't want to hurt the other character so says something nice to them instead... In that case it fulfils a comedic purpose.

But, yeah. You're over-reacting... Most of the dialogue hasn't been like this tbh.
  • On the contrary, I think it is the best part of the game so far. But hey, each to their own I guess...
  • Zeik56;149827 said:
    Is this a serious topic? Really? You're actually suggesting that what made Monkey Island's dialogue great was that they would repeat the exact line you just read?

I much prefer this set up. It gets extremely redundant when they just keep repeating the exact same line that you just finished reading.
    what if you wanted to say something but something completly diffrent came out of your mouth? such as you just agreed fully with what the TC said, would that be fun?

what if MI3 was the same way such as

Guybrush meets Murray the talking skull and you pick the line "you look as fearsome as a door stop" then guybrush says something much less witty and even worse something diffrent all together that has nothing to do with the line you picked at all.
  • threepcross;149702 said:
    the multiple dialogue choices are usually really funny... Too bad it has no relevance what you choose, because guybrush will always say something else!

What have you done!? You have completely ruined the mi style of dialogue that is so central to the game. I would go as far as calling it one of the most important things with the whole series. And in tales of monkey island, it is a joke. Sometimes there are no choices at all. The dialogue goes on without you having a say at all. And when you have choices - they are usually pretty funny - but why bother choosing any, when guybrush will just say something unfunny anyway? This is ridiculous.

Really disappointing! This takes away so much of the joy for me. I'm really almost heartbroken here... You have taken one of my absolute favourite elements of the monkey island series and made it a cosmetic gimmick that serves no purpose.

Oh well, alt-tabbing back to the game now. I just hope the other stuff weigh up to this catastrophy.

lol, wow
  • I think it's atrocious the way much of the dialogue is carried out without any interacting from the player as well. like you may choose one thing, then there will be an exchanging of five lines each between Guyrbush and and the npc you're talking to.

no interacting makes me feel like I have no control and that I'm not even playing as much as I am just watching a dialogue being carried out like on a movie.
  • Maybe if you just played the game without exiting out of it every five minutes to moan and complain about it on the forums, you'd get a more interactive experience.
  • fire2box;149854 said:
    what if you wanted to say something but something completly diffrent came out of your mouth? such as you just agreed fully with what the TC said, would that be fun?
    ...Well since I'm not a video game that would probably be cause for concern. But seeing as this is a video game, and does not function like real life, these really aren't comparable circumstances.

Redundancy in a joke is really bad in a game like this. The joke often loses much of it's impact when you essentially here it repeated twice. I definitely prefer the idea of lines giving you an idea of what you're going to say, you possibly laugh at the line, and then the character says something along those lines, and possibly have a whole new line to enjoy. Even if the new line isn't always quite as funny, it's much better than redundancy that ruins the joke.
Add Comment