User Avatar Image

[B][/B]Bring back the 2D!

posted by xkane on - last edited - Viewed by 731 users
Don't get me wrong, I liked tales of monkey island, but I think some games were made to be in 2D. I could give 10/10 for the graphique of MI3 even today and it's more fun to look and walk around.
17 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • 2D is more expensive.

    And there were already a lot of topics about this. Go use the search function to get a more elaborate explanation on why there will never be a 2D adventure game from Telltale Games.
  • You do realize it's a lot harder to make high definition 2d graphics, right? They have to hand draw every character in every position. For as low a budget as Telltale runs on, it's just not feasible.
  • true, even CMI was rough on Lucasarts. I've read an interview on mixnmojo with the lead animator that they had to hire a lot of new people to do clean ups and in betweens for the game, and it went over budget very quickly.
  • Yeah, or go with Fausk's explanation, which is way shorter than the explanations given in those other threads.

    No sarcasm by the way.
  • i like telltales 3D games, i like 2D too. i like both when they are done right.

    However, out of curiousity. Why is it more expensive to make games 2D? i mean it's a older medium to use so surely there should be cheaper and easier ways to do it nowadays? I always thought that the newer the technology the more expensive it would be.
  • There are no shortcuts in good 2D. When animating a 3D figure there are programs to assist with the creation of new movements and models. 2D requires hand-drawn art of each character in every different position they want to show.
  • Shale;152544 said:
    There are no shortcuts in good 2D. When animating a 3D figure there are programs to assist with the creation of new movements and models. 2D requires hand-drawn art of each character in every different position they want to show.
    I thought that nowadays with computers this wouldn't still be a problem. Like in flash programs you can manipulate the lines and drag them to create the character in a new pose and make it easier to animate since you wouldn't have to redraw the character each time but rather manipulate him. I may be making an idiot of myself over this as i'm no expect with flash.
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    And another thing:
    3D Models automatically adapt to different screen resolutions. I was happy playing with a crisp 1920x1200, not something up-scaled.
  • DjNDB;152577 said:
    And another thing:
    3D Models automatically adapt to different screen resolutions. I was happy playing with a crisp 1920x1200, not something up-scaled.
    that's a point, i never thought of that before.
  • xkane;152480 said:
    Don't get me wrong, I liked tales of monkey island, but I think some games were made to be in 2D. I could give 10/10 for the graphique of MI3 even today and it's more fun to look and walk around.
    if you think tales of mi should be in 2d you probably didnt see those screenshots:

    http://www.justadventure.com/Upcoming_Releases/GhostPiratesVooju/Vooju.shtm
Add Comment