The Walking Dead Season 2 won't work after episode 3 PC *FIXED

I'm at my wits end here haha. So I booted up the game today to do a second playhtough of episode 3, I get to the "click to continue" screen, I click, I see the new background you get after completing episode 3 for a few seconds and then it crashes with the error "Thewalkingdead.exe has stopped working". I have no idea why it started playing up after I completed episode 3 but I'm at a loss on what to do.

Here are the things I have tried.

- Verify game cache
- Run both steam and game in admin mode
- Reinstall the game
- Reinstall Steam
- Run the game in compatibly mode

None of these things have worked, the only thing I haven't really done is permanently delete my save files, if possible I want to avoid doing that for obvious reasons. Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

Edit: So I got rid of my save files and it still crashes upon loading.

Comments

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff
    edited May 2014
    I apologize for the inconvenience, please read this Sticky on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, and reply to this email with the download link copied and pasted into a reply. You can find the Sticky here:

www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/44150/twd-support-tool-for-information-gathering

After receiving the information from your support tool, we will be able to assist you further.

(Hyperlinks are not currently working, so please copy and paste the above link into the address bar of your browser, and hit enter)
  • Hey thanks for the reply, is this the link you want: http://www.sendspace.com/file/6emtns

I apologize for the inconvenience, please read this Sticky on how to run our Support Tool, and follow the steps to run the tool, a

After looking over your support tool information, I have a suggestion for you to try. Please rename the prefs.prop file in

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Telltale Games\THEWAL~1

to prefs.prop.bak to disable it, then restart the game, and your save files should be restored. If they are not, please reply, and I will attempt to assist you further.
    Berty213 posted: »

Hey thanks for the reply, is this the link you want: http://www.sendspace.com/file/6emtns

• It's not the save files missing that's the problem, I deleted my save files because I thought it would stop the crashing issue but it didn't. I get to the "click to continue" screen and then I see the background for a few seconds before it crashes with "Thewalkingdead.exe has stopped working"

After looking over your support tool information, I have a suggestion for you to try. Please rename the prefs.prop file in

Please also try changing your monitor's resolution from 1680 x 1050 to a standard 16:9 ratio such as 1920x1080 or 1280x720, and then start the game again, and see if you are able to get to the main menu.

It's not the save files missing that's the problem, I deleted my save files because I thought it would stop the crashing issue but

• I'm in the process of getting a new monitor, my current one can't fit 1920x1080. However I did try both 1280 x 720 and 1600 x 900 but the game still crashes before I can get to the menu.

Please also try changing your monitor's resolution from 1680 x 1050 to a standard 16:9 ratio such as 1920x1080 or 1280x720, and then start the game again, and see if you are able to get to the main menu.

• I have been having a similar problem. The program boots and all I get is a white screen in the left corner and WD music. I have tried everything in this thread and the other one. The program loaded fine a week ago. I had it set for automatic updates but don't know if it updated or not. Season 1 and all my millions of other steam games work fine.

Here is my support tool info:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/wkrac6
  • Since the above post, I was able to run WD season 2 on my old computer before the update and after the update. I played and saved the progress on episode 3. I tried to boot it on my newer computer and still exactly the same. White window and music.
    kingkentuck posted: »

I have been having a similar problem. The program boots and all I get is a white screen in the left corner and WD music. I have tr

It sounds like it may be a display issue. Please try switching the game to Windowed Mode using the Windows shortcut (Alt+Enter) and then see if you are able to see the game. Then once in the game you can try changing the game's resolution and graphics settings to a lower setting, and then switch back to full screen mode using the same shortcut.
    kingkentuck posted: »

Since the above post, I was able to run WD season 2 on my old computer before the update and after the update. I played and saved the progress on episode 3. I tried to boot it on my newer computer and still exactly the same. White window and music.

• As cool as it is you're helping a guy who posted in my thread but you sort of left without helping me.

It sounds like it may be a display issue. Please try switching the game to Windowed Mode using the Windows shortcut (Alt+Enter) an

• So the problem is now fixed, I had to delete my save files, disable steam cloud and boot up the game. You can also re-enable steam cloud after if you wish.
    Thank you for providing the extra information, I hope you are now able to enjoy the game!

So the problem is now fixed, I had to delete my save files, disable steam cloud and boot up the game. You can also re-enable steam cloud after if you wish.

This discussion has been closed.