User Avatar Image

Possible explanation to the 'Pirate God' thing

posted by Marduk on - last edited - Viewed by 915 users
I do not want to re-ignite that whole 'paganism' thing, here.

I think a lot of people have been reading into that and making assumptions when they should really wait until that episode is released and we can see what it means for ourselves. (Remember; never ‘Assume’, it makes an ‘Ass’ out of ‘u’ and ‘me’).

Anyways, I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, yet, so I figured I'd point it out myself.

In EMI (I slightly dislike that abbreviation and anything that makes me think about major record labels) there was a deranged ghost who had come to see LeChuck in a slightly absurd way and started a church in his name. The whole thing looked not completely unlike many Christian chapels, except for a lava 'flume' ride that went right through it (which served as part of the wedding service where LeChuck was to marry Elaine). Guybrush was even considered to be the "Anti-LeChuck". (There was a bit of recurring theme that nobody would believe that Guybrush was who he said he was, usually because he didn't meet their descriptions).
54 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • This really needs to end. Has everyone already forgotten about Sam & Max 205: What's New, Beelzebub? Last time I checked, Satan was in the game. I don't remember this much of a ruckus when that first came out. It's just a video game.
  • I thought speculating on a logical reason for the title was at least more constructive...
  • Sure, but it always seems to lead to a religious debate, and that does not make the moderator gods happy.

Also, nice avatar.
  • No, it'll remain civil as long as nobody is going crazy over it. We need to all remember that anything in the game is there for the sake of tasteful humor. Marduk's theory is rational and I don't see where it would offend anybody.
  • Hahaha, this is the weirdest stuff I've seen in a long time.

Who the hell cares if there is god in the title :D
    It's so ridiculous, haha :D
  • Secret Fawful;131524 said:
    No, it'll remain civil as long as nobody is going crazy over it. We need to all remember that anything in the game is there for the sake of tasteful humor. Marduk's theory is rational and I don't see where it would offend anybody.
    Okay, for the sake of tasteful humor, let us consider the fact that Guybrush cannot die in Monkey Island. This begs the question, is he a god?

PS. I know about the joke that spoofs the Save/Restore/Quit screen found in many Sierra games.
  • mhaley;131537 said:
    This begs the question, is he a god?
    You better be careful what you say; The only thing more painful than an online discussion about religion is an online discussion about grammar/vocabulary as they apply to phrases like "begs the question" :p
  • mhaley;131537 said:
    Okay, for the sake of tasteful humor, let us consider the fact that Guybrush cannot die in Monkey Island. This begs the question, is he a god?

PS. I know about the joke that spoofs the Save/Restore/Quit screen found in many Sierra games.
    He died in CMI. :p
  • Secret Fawful;131544 said:
    He died in CMI. :p
    Yeah, but he is resurrected soon after. All praise our lord and savior, Guybrush Threepwood.

By the way, that is one of the funniest moments in CMI (spoilers, obviously):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rREKIPsDi6g
  • I thought the Flying Spaghetti Monster was the pirate god?
Add Comment