User Avatar Image

Monkey Island Remakes - Curse and Escape

posted by PariahKing on - last edited - Viewed by 2.3K users
Personally, I'm thrilled we're getting Monkey Island sequels. It's one of the best things and happiest moments of my life - it's like a nostalgia trip for me. I think the first remake will do well considering it coincides with the "Tales of Monkey Island" release - I could see both helping fuel the other. And I think Monkey Island 2: Special Edition is a foregone conclusion.

And I think this'll be highly profitable for LucasArts and Telltale.

But what about Curse and Escape? Curse has some of the most beautiful graphics due to its hand drawn style. Escape is...well, Escape is Escape - it has those nasty clunky 3d graphics but the voice overs and funny content.

There's less to update for Curse and Escape. Would you bother changing much beyond graphics? Many would argue the graphics for Curse shouldn't be altered.

Personally I think the best way to handle this situation would be to do both Curse and Escape as a package. It requires the least amount of work - there's no need for voice overs or major score updates. Due to Curse's amazing hand drawn style, you would want to keep the switch functionality.

It'd also be handy to have remakes as older PC games become less and less usable on newer computers - it makes it more accessible for people who don't know stuff like ScummVM is.
53 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • meh

i reckon lets just move on to MI5
  • You cant remake Curse....
    And nobody really cares about Escape

Im with Hamzie, lets just move on

I do hope they make Lechucks Revenge special edition though
  • I do not think the third and fourth games requires an update from scratch

I can see them probably updating the graphics a bit but it has to be profitable
  • Well I don't think Curse really needs an update, but if the first two net them profits you'd know they want to monetize it. And it seems rather odd to skip 3 to 4.

I don't like the idea of new voice acting over the old.

Basically the existence of 4's ugly graphics offends me and I wish they'd update it to be bearable.
  • How about The Curse of Monkey Island: Special Edition with Steve Purcell as the artist? :)
  • There was never any voice acting in the first 2...
  • Shiversul;131740 said:
    There was never any voice acting in the first 2...
    I think he meant instead of having no voices they're adding them. Which I see nothing wrong with. Their goal was to update the game for a new audience. Voices are just an obvious enhancement. Plus they've got all the right people doing the voices as far as I can tell from the gameplay videos.
  • HoppyDragon;131743 said:
    I think he meant instead of having no voices they're adding them. Which I see nothing wrong with. Their goal was to update the game for a new audience. Voices are just an obvious enhancement. Plus they've got all the right people doing the voices as far as I can tell from the gameplay videos.
    Yeah. Thanks.
    HoppyDragon;131739 said:
    How about The Curse of Monkey Island: Special Edition with Steve Purcell as the artist? :)
    That would actually be really cool.
  • ahh

And i HATE Elaines voice, she sounds like something off them old Harry Potter PS1 Games
  • Shiversul;131745 said:
    ahh

And i HATE Elaines voice, she sounds like something off them old Harry Potter PS1 Games
    Fortunately she doesn't have a whole lot of lines in SOMI. Not nearly as much as Guybrush at least.. and since we hear his voice the most, he's the most important to get right, which they did by getting Dominic Armato back.
Add Comment