User Avatar Image

W&G - Ep 2 - Not launching correctly (Steam)

posted by Wakacha on - last edited - Viewed by 922 users
When I attempt to launch Ep2 on steam roughly 1/4 of the screen turns white. I waited about 10 minutes hoping that it would launch but it didn't.

During that time I heard music playing which I assume to be the main menu. I started it again a few times but nothing happened. Just so you know Episode 1 worked perfectly, as has the other Telltale games that I received when I bought the W&G season.
28 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well I greatly appreciate the help you've given me, pity it didn't work.

I'll contact steam and see what happens.
  • I'm having the exact same problem, but I'm not using Steam. If it helps, I have the same video card the original poster has -- a Radeon Xpress 200.

This card has given me grief with other games too, it never loads textures right in Team Fortress 2 for instance.

I had no problems running episode 1 of Wallace and Gromit though, nor the entirety of Season 2 of Sam and Max, so I thought I'd be fine just getting all the W&G episodes at once.
  • Card name: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: ATI Radeon Xpress Series (0x5954)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5954&SUBSYS_2A26103C&REV_00
    Display Memory: 256.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6925 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 2/25/2009 17:41:10, 325120 bytes

Misc. information on my video card. I'm posting in this topic because I'm having the exact same problem rather than making a second one (further, nothing in this topic worked for me). Only difference is that I'm using the official launcher, not Steam.

Like the original poster, I have no problems with other Telltale games, including Fright of the Bumblebees. I do want to note that there were graphical anomalies the first time I ran FotBB, and the preview images had lots of torn images and blackspace, but the problem permanently resolved itself after I changed the graphical quality (literally, had nothing to do with the quality setting itself, just the act of doing so).
  • Hey Midnight, would you try copying the prefs.prop from C:\Documents and Settings\Will Armstrong\My Documents\Telltale Games\Fright of the Bumblebees to The Last Resort?
  • It still gives me a white screen, unfortunately. Shame, I thought that might work too.
  • Man, these Radeon xpress cards have been causing a lot of trouble recently. Have you tried updating your graphics card drivers? If you have and it still doesn't work, you can send an email to [email]support@telltalegames.com[/email] and ask for a refund. Tell them I sent you.
  • Will;125502 said:
    Man, these Radeon xpress cards have been causing a lot of trouble recently. Have you tried updating your graphics card drivers? If you have and it still doesn't work, you can send an email to [email]support@telltalegames.com[/email] and ask for a refund. Tell them I sent you.
    Luckily, I found the game works fine on my laptop. I get some graphical glitches during cinematics (harmless texture blinking) if I run it in fullscreen instead of a window.

I'm also a big fan/supporter of Telltale Games, have been since Culture Shock, so I don't need a refund. :)
  • Still not working, even with the newly updated driver, the fact that Fright worked fine makes it even more annoying in a way :(
  • I've been battling with the same Steam error code for a few days. After a fair bit of fiddling, the problem in my case was a clash with the browser security component of Zone Alarm (ForceField). Frustratingly, turning ForceField off in the Zone Alarm user interface did nothing. To stop the programs clashing, I had to go to Start > Run, then "services.msc", stopping the service named "ForceField IswSvc". Hope this helps.....
  • I have the same problem (same card,) and I fixed it by uninstalling ATI Catalyst and all the updated drivers. Unfortunately, the Xpress doesn't support my monitor's wide screen resolution without the updated drivers.
This discussion has been closed.